Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical 07' Radio Harness

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 05:37 AM
mini_specter
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' Radio Harness

Anyone have any luck finding a radio wiring harness for the 2007 MINI? or is the radio connection the same as last years in regards to buying a harness to plug and play into a new radio? Thanks

Old 08-08-2007, 07:16 AM
STLMINI
6th Gear
I'm no techie but how do you expect to put a new radio in an 07? With the new center stack I though it was impossible.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:42 AM
mini_specter
1st Gear
Good point as I know the radio is now integrated as part of the speedo. I'm not exactly sure yet as I'm waiting to get my MINI. I'm thinking maybe it would be possible to yank the CD player out as it's below the speedo and fabricate some type of trim around it.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:51 AM
oPossum
1st Gear
The connector on the radio is the same as the older cars.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:03 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stock CD player is fine. Plays MP3s and shows id tags. What more do you need?

Old 08-12-2007, 04:29 PM
msh441
6th Gear
It wouldn't be too difficult for some manufacturer to build a harness to plug in between the stock head and harness, bypassing the stock stereo (and CD player if you so desired) while still retaining the OBC function and display. There just has to be enough demand to warrant the development and production... which is probably unlikly.

I like the front set up on the Hi-Fi pack. Nice sound imaging and clarity. Respectible bass up front. The rears however, seem a little bit muddy and when pushed at higher volumes, it amplifies these weaknesses. The rears just become muddled and overall clarity suffers.

I think the most benifical mods to the stereo would be better main speakers in the rear, and possibly a small sub in the boot.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:04 PM
jrunner192
1st Gear
If you are interested in just keeping the stock head unit and upgrading the amp/speakers check out the options at this link: http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop...roducts&cat=25

Old 08-13-2007, 10:33 AM
mini_specter
1st Gear
Kewl..Thanks for the link. Upgrading the amp/speakers will probably be the route I'll take. I'm really not wanting to butcher up the factory layout. After thinking about it I think it's more trouble than it's worth to disable the factory head unit and tear out the OEM CD player with cutom fitting needed for the new head unit.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jrunner192
If you are interested in just keeping the stock head unit and upgrading the amp/speakers check out the options at this link: http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop...roducts&cat=25
Does anyone know of a vendor with stuff like this in the US?

Old 08-21-2007, 07:41 PM
darigaaz12
1st Gear
you can order from them, i got mine 5 days after i placed my order i think, going to install it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes

Old 08-22-2007, 06:56 PM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
oPossum, do you know if the steering wheel controls for audio are like canbus or just normal wire connections? Wondering if i could hook them to my aftermarket radio. Don't want no steering wheel controls.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:53 PM
darigaaz12
1st Gear
Ok i finally installed my new speakers in the doors and sub in the rear with the newministuff.com wiring loom and while i like the speakers better now, the sub totally lacks the deep bass i want . I didn't think the stock radio limited the low end bass that much. The install took a long time to run everything right and the outcome was only alright. I'd recomend it for anyone who want to hook up speakers through an amp but not subs (unless u dont want that deep bass anyways).

I'll be starting my new project of puttin a headunit in the glovebox or secret compartment in a few weeks when i get some cash

Old 08-24-2007, 07:41 PM
FortyTwo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by darigaaz12
Ok i finally installed my new speakers in the doors and sub in the rear with the newministuff.com wiring loom and while i like the speakers better now, the sub totally lacks the deep bass i want . I didn't think the stock radio limited the low end bass that much. The install took a long time to run everything right and the outcome was only alright. I'd recomend it for anyone who want to hook up speakers through an amp but not subs (unless u dont want that deep bass anyways).

I'll be starting my new project of puttin a headunit in the glovebox or secret compartment in a few weeks when i get some cash
That's really dissapointing, but thanks for the info!

Old 08-25-2007, 11:11 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
. I didn't think the stock radio limited the low end bass that much.

it doesn't. I get tons of bass. Have to turn it below the middle setting for bass sometimes. This is with all aftermarket speakers/amps/signal converters.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:32 PM
darigaaz12
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
it doesn't. I get tons of bass. Have to turn it below the middle setting for bass sometimes. This is with all aftermarket speakers/amps/signal converters.

come again? what setting? I've played with my settings and can get tons of bass but not low bass it just cuts out when its about to hit.... What kind of music do you listen to? I listen to bay area rap stuff< half of it sounds about right but othe songs just lack a lot. For example E-40 - yay area, the bass is supposed to be crazy and i hear a kick pedal but no boom ok maybe a lil boom but nothin crazy lol

It seems like the frequencies are boosted in the upper bass areas or the lower ones are cut.... I've played with my crossover to try and correct this and it's a lil better but I'm putting an aftermarket radio in mine probably

hey but maybe im doin somethin completely wrong

Last edited by darigaaz12; 08-25-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:48 PM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
come again? what setting? I've played with my settings and can get tons of bass but not low bass it just cuts out when its about to hit.... What kind of music do you listen to? I listen to bay area rap stuff< half of it sounds about right but othe songs just lack a lot. For example E-40 - yay area, the bass is supposed to be crazy and i hear a kick pedal but no boom ok maybe a lil boom but nothin crazy lol

It seems like the frequencies are boosted in the upper bass areas or the lower ones are cut.... I've played with my crossover to try and correct this and it's a lil better but I'm putting an aftermarket radio in mine probably

I'm going to be experimenting with a rockford fosgate 3sixty for signal summing and eqing. You might want to try something like an audiocontrol epicenter to get the bass back for not too much money. I'll keep everyone updated of my results.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:33 PM
darigaaz12
1st Gear
im think im just puttin a stereo in my secret compartment, im 99.9% sure that its standard DIN size

Old 08-25-2007, 04:52 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by a96bimmerm3
I'm going to be experimenting with a rockford fosgate 3sixty for signal summing and eqing. You might want to try something like an audiocontrol epicenter to get the bass back for not too much money. I'll keep everyone updated of my results.

I'm getting a 360.2 installed on Sep. 4th. I can't wait to start playing with it. It was also the reason I broke down and purchased a Palm Pilot TX. 160+ bands of equalization/phasing/and time delays =) I'm going to be tweaking for weeks.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:55 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear

I'm running a 10" boston acoustics sub in a false floor powered by a rockford fosgate amp. No equalizers installed (yet). The bass is very strong. I usually have the bass setting on the head unit at +1. For some songs I may need to turn it down to -2 if I'm going to crank the volume.

The stock headunit puts out a pretty nice signal.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:51 PM
darigaaz12
1st Gear
yea idk, I've messed with settings but its not anything like my other 3 car installs with clean low bass (cuts out no matter how I change my settings on the headunit or amp), ill keep everyone updated on my new install burnin holes throughmy pocket tho lol

Old 08-26-2007, 05:43 AM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Sweet! With any luck I should have mine within the next few weeks too. Keep us updated!!!!

Originally Posted by MotorMouth
I'm getting a 360.2 installed on Sep. 4th. I can't wait to start playing with it. It was also the reason I broke down and purchased a Palm Pilot TX. 160+ bands of equalization/phasing/and time delays =) I'm going to be tweaking for weeks.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:31 PM
darigaaz12
1st Gear
aftermarket radio fits perfectly in the secret compartment

ill get some pics up in a lil bit but its sounds soooo much better now

Old 08-26-2007, 01:49 PM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
aftermarket radio fits perfectly in the secret compartment

ill get some pics up in a lil bit but its sounds soooo much better now
I wish you wouldn't say things like that lol. Next thing you'll say the steering wheel controls work. I dont know what to do!

Old 08-26-2007, 02:05 PM
darigaaz12
1st Gear
got some pics in my gallery now, dont know how to post them out here (nevermind im a genius lol). I have a remote with the stereo and use that instead of my stearing wheel couldnt figure out how i'd get that to work

and these pics do this no justice it looks great lol

Last edited by darigaaz12; 08-26-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:13 PM
FortyTwo
3rd Gear
^ Well done, sir!

Quick Reply: Electrical 07' Radio Harness