R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 I stopped light "tested" with a new Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:21 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
I stopped light "tested" with a new Mustang GT

So this afternoon coming home from picking up some lunch, I am sitting at a stop light (on an abandoned airstrip with no current traffic laws ) and a new Mustang GT pulls up next to me. The dude driving quickly looks over at me and then turns to say something funny to the cute girl sitting in the passenger seat who starts laughing a little.

While he is running his pie hole, I am casually and non chalantly turning DSC off, giving a hefty alcohol rich spray to my IC, and turning off the AC.

The GT looked good. It was obviously lowered, had custom viper stripes, custom all show no go 20" chrome wheels, an aftermarket exhaust it seemed, the token TAPOUT sticker, and I would soon find out it also had a manual transmission...

As soon as the traffic light turns yellow for the crossing traffic (uh..old abandon airport equipment ), he starts reving his big V8. "I knew it" I yelled to myself in my MINI. The Meat Head in the Mustang wants to show off for his chick and pick on the little guy...

I hold about 4k revs and wait for green. As soon as green goes I lightly but quickly let the clutch out and get minimal spin. Even with a near perfect launch there was nothing I could do about the torque under control of my opponent.

I would say 1/2 way through 1st gear he was about 1/2 a car ahead of me... But not for long. As he starts grabbing for another gear and lets out a chirp, the little MINI is just getting warmed up. The MINI just keeps pulling in 1st till I am about even with him until my gear change and also let out a chirp. We are about dead nuts even right now going up through 2nd gear. Again 3rd comes a little earlier for him and I am just whining up over 7k rpm still in 2nd pulling away.
Up through all of 3rd till about 7k rpm the MINI kept a good 1/2-1 car length ahead of him, until we both conciously decided it was time to shut er down...

I'll tell you we were both very surprised. The dude just kept looking at me and shaking his head from side to side. His girl on the other was looking at me in a different way.

Poor guy.... Could you imagine....I'll bet you the story does not go like this on the Mustang forums...

I want to see one of you boys with the turbo conversions go out and handle a Shelby GT500... That should really get some heads shaking and chicks drooling!

MOTOR JC

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 07-31-2007, 12:32 AM
motonikki812
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was me not Mario

I wrote the above post on my notebook computer that I have not used in a while. The last person to log into NAM on it was MarioKart. I submitted the reply and thought I was tripping when it all came in under Marios sig...

Anyway this is from me not Mario.

I still cannot figure out how to change the user on that computerfor NAM... Mario you are going to have to show me how to undo it. I had to come to my desktop computer to write this reply.

Sorry. Jasun

PS. It sounds like a Mario story though does'nt it? Except for at the end Mario would be about 8 car lenghts ahead and not 1/2-1....

Old 07-31-2007, 02:44 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
Nice story!
What airstrip is it? ;-)

Old 07-31-2007, 05:01 AM
Qksquirt
2nd Gear
My HBCS is box stock, and I've never had a problem with an '04 or earlier GT, but I'd never run accross a late model until last week.

I pulled into traffic and I was hard on it, the light had just changed and I was fitting in a hole only a MINI could fit in. The GT was in front and he nailed it when I jumped in behind him, since I was already wound up I figured what the heck, I'll play. Through 2nd, 3rd and 4th he never pulled an inch on "Squirt".

Jeez, I love my MINI!!!!

Old 07-31-2007, 05:43 AM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
Well, I just couldn't stay out of this one. (Hint - see the pic below). I really don't suggest any Mini drivers go out looking for a fair race with the 2007 GT500. The weight difference is surely an issue, but come on. If you even come close to keeping up with a GT500, believe me, they are not racing and you're dreaming.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:55 AM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
Nice run! It's hard to resist a little stoplight fun at the ole airport runway...

Old 07-31-2007, 05:58 AM
ARTSJCW
6th Gear
Lets go to some twisty roads and see who's talkin....

Old 07-31-2007, 06:04 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Money well spent on mods *bigg grin*

Old 07-31-2007, 06:27 AM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by paynemdMINI
Lets go to some twisty roads and see who's talkin....
That's where the Mini would come out smelling like roses, but I thought that was a given. On the straight aways it's just not a thought. I'm not even going to mention this to the DH. He'll be wanting to mod the mess out of the suspension for max handling for The Dragon.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:30 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An airstrip with a traffic light? Sounds like something from space *****.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:03 AM
SandiePepper
6th Gear
Love the story, My sister has a new Mustang GT, she thinks is so great. I drove it for a day and was not impressed. Don't get me wrong it's a nice car, and yes it's fast, I just prefer the MINI. Hands down more fun.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:10 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't write this either.

Fun story, and like most fun things here, it won't be around for long. . .

7k rpm in 3rd gear is probably my favorite MINI sound.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:14 AM
minjae
6th Gear
you showed that snob!! syke.
mustangs are too fast. even older ones. it's no fun when one blows past you.
i dont even try. i just say to myself..wat a crazy driver.

but i would too like to know how to sign off.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:18 AM
irieman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar incident recently I didn't think it was post worthy until I read motonikki812's account. Borrowing from the OP's text:

"I am sitting at a stop light (on an abandoned airstrip with no current traffic laws ) and a brand new (looking) 300z pulls up next to me. Funky goldish color, dealer/paper plates, big shiny rims, aero kit, Nismo stickers, the works.

...The dude driving quickly looks over at me and then turns to say something funny to the cute girl sitting in the passenger seat who starts laughing a little...

While he is running his pie hole, I am casually and non chalantly pretending I don't see what's coming up on my right, about 1/4 mile behind us.

....As soon as the traffic light turns yellow for the crossing traffic (uh..old abandon airport equipment ), he starts reving his big V8. "I knew it" I yelled to myself in my MINI. The Meat Head in the Nissan wants to show off for his chick and pick on the little guy...

I politely turn down my stereo and increase my revs, acknowleding the invite to an unsanctioned contest of speed.

The light goes green; he punches it through the intersection, I pause for a moment before letting the clutch out and ease through the intersection "granny style". The police cruiser "appears out of nowhere" (), lights up the red and blues, weaves through a few cars, and pulls over the Nissan before he reaches the next light.

I *really really* wanted to roll down my window and give him a thumbs up as I passed. I mean, really! Alas, my faith in karmic justice would not allow it.

I love my MINI, and my MINI knows his place. (It may have been a different story had I not satisfied my need for speed earlier that day, on the twisty backroads of North San Diego County.)

See you on the twisties!
For those who care: K&N CAI | H-Sport Rear Sway Bar | M7 Strut Tower Brace | Alta 15% Pulley | not quite there, yet!

Last edited by irieman; 07-31-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:20 AM
RED FURY
5th Gear
They are about the same speed in the quarter mile, I believe

Old 07-31-2007, 07:55 AM
minijon
2nd Gear
Great story irieman!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:22 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Infraction issued to motonikki812 for street racing post - in violation of guideline #5:

5. LEGAL
Posts relating to street racing, excessive speeding, or violations of other laws are prohibited. If you want to race, take it to a legal venue.

Thanks for your honesty though, because I was about to slap MarioKart with it.

Thread locked. Thinly veiled attempts to use the "airstrip" reference (wink, wink) do not change the fact that it was an illegal race.