Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

05 Automatic Transmission "EP" Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:36 AM
SuprCoopr
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Automatic Transmission "EP" Issues

So I'm wondering....

Before I picked Austin (2005 MCSCa) up from CarMax, he went down to San Antonio (to the "local" MINI dealer) to have his transmission looked at. On the digital readout in the speedo, the letters "EP" were shown, where it usually shows what gear the car is in. After some in-depth poking around, the MINI dealer found out that the shifter needed to be replaced.

I got it back and drove it for about 500 miles, and the "EP" issue magically returned. It's now back in San Antonio for repairs again. What's up with that? Anyone else have/had similar issues? Thank goodness he's still under warranty.

I've owned Austin for about 4 weeks now (and what a joy he is!), and I'd hate to think I'm gonna have to send him down to San Antonio every couple weeks for a stern talking to (if ya know what I mean)....

Old 07-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Isn't "EP" limp mode? Sounds like there may be an issue with the tranny itself.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:24 PM
SuprCoopr
3rd Gear
Interestingly enough, I could drive it in every mode without any problems (no limp-ness). It seems to be the same issue as before it went in for repairs the first time, which leads me to belive they may be replacing the same "shifter" part again.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:40 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
That came up on Blimey after doing my MTH tune ECU flash...
My mechanic cleared the code and it hasn't come back...
I dunno......

Old 07-17-2007, 08:19 AM
SuprCoopr
3rd Gear
In an interesting turn of events, the problem has now been passed up the food chain to figure out where to go next...
Now on day 8 of being without, I'm missing my top down motoring fun...

Old 07-18-2007, 01:48 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are there any codes on the dme?
have they tried to reset your adaptation values for the cvt?

Old 07-20-2007, 02:19 PM
SuprCoopr
3rd Gear
So, for those of you with dying curiosity, I just got off the phone with the local MINI tech, and apparently some module went schizophrenic in the car. It took a bunch of back and forth diagnostic tests between the local techs and some engineers (I'm guessing from across the pond), but its been figured out and a new replacement module is on its way over. They said its something they've "never seen happen before", so apparently, Austin is setting some sort of new precident (or, blazing his own trail, as it were).

Bummer is, I probably won't get the car for yet another week, but as long as its fixed well, it'll be worth the wait.

I also have to give kudos to those cats down in San Antonio, they're awesome and have taken really good care of me (and Austin too)!

Old 07-27-2007, 06:37 AM
SuprCoopr
3rd Gear
Update: the replacement module came in, but won't accept programming from the techs. The engineers figured it's a bad module, so a new one is being shipped in.

Now day 19 without MINI motoring. :impatient Thank goodness its been raining like crazy around here (I don't take Austin out to play in the rain). I hope to have him back in time for the Austin MINI meet-up on Aug. 4th...

Old 07-27-2007, 09:52 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I feel your pain...

Well, not really, but it's supposed to make you feel better when I say that...

But I AM sorry you're MINIless for so long.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:44 AM
SuprCoopr
3rd Gear
So just as an update for those interested, it turns out I was having problems with the paddles (which is why, I guess, Austin drove fine) all along.

I've had Austin back for a little over a week now, and everything is dandy once again!

Motor on (top down, preferrably)....

Old 08-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad you've had a good outcome.

Happy motoring.....

Old 08-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Diosdado
2nd Gear
I hope I get the same outcome. I've had the EP come on a couple of times now without problems, and it goes away after a day or so without trying to clear the codes (P700). I brought my car to the dealer for a brake pad replacement, and I told them about the code. They are also going to replace the module. The problem is that though I'm under warranty, I already have some mods - pulley, cai, and exhaust. I'll see if everything comes out ok or if I'll have to pay.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:06 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joey1320
...have they tried to reset your adaptation values for the cvt?
The OP's car is the S version with the traditional (torque converter-based) automatic transmission.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
One week old and my wifes car the 2007 MC MY/B Convertible had the EP light last night. She was in bumper to bumper traffic and went to sports drive on a hill for more control. Went a very short distance and then had the EP light come on and went to automatic and then tried to go back to sports drive it would not go to the right. Drove about 1 mile in half an hour and then was able to pull over. Turned the car off waiting for me to catch up with her and when she restarted it EP was gone. I assume it might have been that the Tranny did not know what or where she was trying to do has any one else had similar problems?

Old 12-10-2007, 04:40 PM
TUFFMINI
2nd Gear
MTH Tune...

Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
That came up on Blimey after doing my MTH tune ECU flash...
My mechanic cleared the code and it hasn't come back...
I dunno......

I did the MTH upgrade on my ECU and immediately saw the code. Cleared it and never had the issue again.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:55 PM
MBR
2nd Gear
I just saw the dreaded EP code today, hopefully it will go away I did make a service appointment... I wonder if the code came on because I was messing with the fuses to figure out how to hard wire a V1?

Old 10-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
With over 15,000 that posting about the EP was the only time ours happened. Turning the car off waiting a couple of minutes and it went away with the computer reset. Two CVT Mini's and over 40,000 miles combined and still going zoom zoom.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:13 PM
MBR
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tron Chief
With over 15,000 that posting about the EP was the only time ours happened. Turning the car off waiting a couple of minutes and it went away with the computer reset. Two CVT Mini's and over 40,000 miles combined and still going zoom zoom.
So the service engine light and EP went away after a couple of hours... I wonder if I should keep my service appointment? It seems I'm at the dealer every other weekend.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
yes the light was actually gone when we restarted after being off for a few minutes. Our nearest dealer is almost 200 miles away we end up visiting a few less times then you.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:13 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
I was in manual mode and in slow traffic going up a rather steep hill with multiple stop and go moments. EP light came on just as I pulled over to stop. After I turned my car off and came back in an hour, code was gone and I've not seen it since. Service tech checked it out the next week and found nothing wrong. This was during July.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Jon@TheMshop
1st Gear
Had a customer with a 2005 Cooper with an EP error. Dealer told her that the transmission is internally broken and recommends to replace the transmission. We test drove the Cooper and the transmission was very jerky.

Only had one fault code P1786 for transmission ratio actuator.

We tested the wiring and it passed. I decided to just clear faults and adaptations and presto! Car is fixed! Customer was so happy she didn't have to spend $6000 on a new transmission that wasn't even broken.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:46 AM
PenelopeG3
4th Gear
funny how the fix changes depending on whether the car is in or out of warranty...

i hate dealers

Old 06-13-2009, 03:15 PM
jeannie_p
Neutral
EP Code

I am considering purchasing a 2005 Cooper S and am test driving it this weekend. It has 42,000 miles. I know the car has been certified under the Lemon Law, I got the Car Fax and understand it has been to the dealers 3 times for "transmission checks". I've driven the car 150 miles and now the EP code is on. Car is running great, quite peppy actually. What do you think? To buy or not to buy....

Old 06-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Suzanne's Chili Red S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jeannie_p
I am considering purchasing a 2005 Cooper S and am test driving it this weekend. It has 42,000 miles. I know the car has been certified under the Lemon Law, I got the Car Fax and understand it has been to the dealers 3 times for "transmission checks". I've driven the car 150 miles and now the EP code is on. Car is running great, quite peppy actually. What do you think? To buy or not to buy....
The Aisin built 6 speed Auto in the S is usually considered to be very reliable. Sounds like a software issue for the dealer to diagnose. Buying would depend on the asking price, but this "issue" is certainly for bargaining in your favor.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:40 PM
jeannie_p
Neutral
After making this post, I went out motoring again and the EP code was gone! Even with the EP code, I had no loss of power and the shifting was just fine. I'm not that versed on all the MINI abbreviations/lingo but I do know I want a MINI. I'll continue to do my homework on this MINI because it's very SWEET! Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply: 05 Automatic Transmission "EP" Issues