Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

"Service Engine Soon" light at 1200 miles?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 05:05 PM
kraigster414
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Service Engine Soon" light at 1200 miles?!

Yep, I only have 1200 miles on my new 2005 MCS and today the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Is this normal? And what kind of service are we talking about? Thanks.

Sorry, I didn't realize this subject had already been discussed. Apparently a software glitch that is being worked on by Mini.

Old 04-16-2005, 07:23 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I passed 1200 without incident last week...

Old 04-16-2005, 07:26 PM
kraigster414
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kaelaria
I passed 1200 without incident last week...
I wouldn't consider yourself out of the woods just yet. Keep us posted.

Old 04-16-2005, 07:41 PM
turtlesocks
1st Gear
Service light

Mine started at sooner 800 miles. I took it in at 1100 miles (last Saturday), they replace a sensor (O2 sensor). Problem came back two days ago. It turns on and off, they said there is no problem driving it because it is an exhaust light??? My service consultant is going to call me on Monday since he was off today. The dealer is over 100 miles away I hope they can fix this soon.

Alexis

[size=2][/size]

Old 04-16-2005, 08:17 PM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
Hi everyone -

I have a copy of the service bulletin from MINI regarding the 2005 MCS automatic and the sudden appearance of the Service Engine Soon light. My MINI dealer service dept. gave it to me when they cleared the error code on mine Friday.

According to the service bulletin, the error can be caused after starting the vehicle cold and driving a short distance to a downhill slope causing the vehicle to enter a deceleration or fuel cutoff situation for an extended period. If this happens in two consecutive drive cycles the Check Engine Lamp will be illuminated.

(In my case this happened not due to going downhill but due to decelerating at a pretty high rate from a pretty high speed twice in 2 minutes.)

Essentially this is a software bug. They're working on an update and don't have a firm release date but believe it will be in the next 6 weeks (but they stressed that this was not a commitment, so please no one try to burn down the dealerships on Memorial Day if the software update isn't out by then).

The corrective measures they list are:

1. Do not replace any parts.

2. Connect vehicle to a FASTA transmitting diagnostic device and perform a short test. Once the short test has concluded verify the vehicle has been identified properly.

3. Clear DME fault memory and release vehicle.

My dealer (after having looked at my car and clearing the error) has advised me not to bring the car back in if the Service Engine Soon light comes on as long as it continues to run the same as it was running before the light comes on.

My MCSa had ~400 miles on it when this error occured. I had intended to drive the car about 1000 miles this weekend on a great trip through Texas but managed to severely injure my back shortly after leaving the dealership. So I have only put 30 miles on the car since the error was cleared.

Hope this helps -

/gary mc

Old 04-16-2005, 08:37 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Oh this is only for the autos - well no wonder I don't have a problem! lol

Old 04-17-2005, 05:57 AM
C4
Banned
This is a "bug" in the algorithm that controls the ECU in the MCSa models.

Old 04-17-2005, 07:56 AM
kraigster414
2nd Gear
Yesterday, the "service engine soon" light went on (at 1200 miles) today it's off. Go figure. Coincidently, yesterday was also the first time I tried out the paddles on my 05 MCSa. Could it have been related? I am still calling my dealer tomorrow. Mini of Towson Maryland - good outfit.

Old 04-17-2005, 05:34 PM
dnowak
1st Gear
Service engine soon light - 450 miles, 1 week old!

Light came on while my wife driving the car. Typically a gas cap problem on other cars, but I see from this thread it is likely a software bug as there is a separate idiot light for gas cap (amazing). My question, is there a way to easily clear the error codes short of buying one of those ODC things in the back of car mags?

Old 04-17-2005, 06:25 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Quite old news now ...

The "spurious" SES light will clear itself after a few engine restarts.

However I recommend to everyone: the first time it happens, go to the dealership and have them read the code and confirm it is "O2 sensor" and not some other perhaps real problem.
But make sure they know about the MINI memo; I have seen at least one person recently that had the sensor replaced, presumably because their dealership is not up to speed.

Old 04-18-2005, 11:27 AM
haskindmh
2nd Gear
The SES (Service engine soon) light indicates that the computer in your car is geting a signal from one of the many sensor's on the car that is different than expected. This could be due to the software glitch that has been referred to IF you have an '05 MCS with automatic transmission. A qualified technician should check for the code in the computer and then perform the diagnostics indicated to determine the nature of the problem. The "code" does not tell them to replace parts! The code tells them what part is being affected and what diagnostics should be performed. There is no such thing as an "oxygen sensor code". The code tells the mechanioc that the computer is receivng a signal from the oxygen sensor that is different from what is expected. This MAY be due to a bad sensor, but it may also be due to an engine that is running too rich or too lean. The SES light does not indicate that your car is due for scheduled maintenance.

Old 04-24-2005, 04:48 PM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
The "spurious" SES light will clear itself after a few engine restarts.
My MINI dealer service manager tells me the SES light won't clear itself. But I'm not terribly confident in them. Have you seen it clear itself when it's on due to this error?

My MCS automatic's SES light came on at 400 miles; I went to the dealer and had them check it and reset it (my Motoring Advisor had told me about this bug before I ordered the car). They made it clear they didn't want to see the car again for this situation until the updated software is released, so when the error occured at ~600 miles I decided to live with it.

The light was on for over a week, during which time I drove over 400 miles. This morning I installed Andy of Ross Tech's Vaccuum Gain System (VGS) mod to see if it would eliminate a flat spot in the power curve I've been noticiing. The VGS mod helded a lot - the car accelerates more smoothly now and is more responsive at low RPMs - but oddly it also seems to have caused the SES light to turn off after the car had been running with this mod for about 10 minutes. Very bizzarre that the light went off like this.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's quite possible I'm the victim of a happy coincidence, but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who has the VGS mod on an MCS automatic (assuming there is anyone else!).

I was really tired of looking at the SES light over the last week. It bites to buy a new car and have it tell you "Service Engine Soon" all the time, all the more so in my case because I'm a somewhat of a tachometer obsessed person.

/gary mc

Old 04-24-2005, 05:04 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gmcdonnell
My MINI dealer service manager tells me the SES light won't clear itself. But I'm not terribly confident in them. Have you seen it clear itself when it's on due to this error?
Yes.
My SES light has only come on once so far for this problem. When I started the car to go to the dealership & have them check it, the light (of course) cleared itself. The dealership confirmed anyway that the fault was the "O2 sensor" one, and so there was nothing to fix.

Originally Posted by gmcdonnell
... It's quite possible I'm the victim of a happy coincidence
My guess.
Maybe your regular drive puts your MINI in a situation where it keeps tripping the spurious fault, so it does not clear.
And maybe today, starting/stopping/driving differently while checking out the new gadget, was enough to give the engine a chance to clear the code.

Of course it is also possible there is a different fault - certainly if the car seems to run in any unusual way, go back to the dealership and demand another readout of the diagnostics.
Even though there is a documented issue with the SES coming on wrongly, it is not professional for the dealership to tell you to ignore the light and not visit them any more.

Old 04-24-2005, 05:55 PM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
My SES light has only come on once so far for this problem. When I started the car to go to the dealership & have them check it, the light (of course) cleared itself.
Thanks - it's good to know that it can clear itself. Another incorrect statement from my dealer on this matter...

Maybe your regular drive puts your MINI in a situation where it keeps tripping the spurious fault, so it does not clear.
And maybe today, starting/stopping/driving differently while checking out the new gadget, was enough to give the engine a chance to clear the code.
I have no doubt that my regular drive could be causing the fault. I live in one of the few (relatively) hilly areas of Dallas. I'm up/down/up/down hills first thing every time I get in the car. The only thing is, my test drive route follows my usual morning path and I tried to drive just like I normally would. But I'd agree with you that the test drive probably did give the engine a chance to clear the error - I just don't know why!

Even though there is a documented issue with the SES coming on wrongly, it is not professional for the dealership to tell you to ignore the light and not visit them any more.
I totally agree. Especially because the first time it came on the situation actually met none of the criteria listed in the service bulletin. The car was warm (I'd been driving for 90+ minutes), there was only one decelaration and it was on level ground. The service folks did not impress - they clearly did not want to spend any time on looking at the issue. At this point I doubt I'll be darkening their door in the future - I have a Peake scan/reset tool on order from Mini-Madness, so I can check the code myself if and when the SES light comes on. I may let them change the oil at 10K, but that's far from certain.

Thanks again for the response!

/gary

Old 06-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Noisegirly
1st Gear
I thought I was going to escape this little club, but I guess I was wrong. After having my car in the service dept. for 3 days (minor issues, like speaker buzz) my SES light came on as I was driving home from work today and switched to Sport/Manual. :( Service dept. wants me to bring it back in, but I have to wait 'til Tuesday. The first thing he asked me was to check the gas cap, but ha ha.. I didn't get any gas yet.
Just another MCSa with a glitch....

Old 08-07-2005, 08:01 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Count me in the "club" now

I have an Aug 04 build MCS and my SES just came on (after 7000 trouble free miles) after atop North America's highest auto road, Mt Evans west of Denver (14,264 feet) yesterday. Also had a simultaneous issue with my ASC lite being on all the time, but that went away after returning to lower altitudes (tire pressure I think). There's NO drop in performance and mileage, tho, so I'm not too worried here. Any thoughts? Jimbo

Old 08-07-2005, 09:43 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine came on yesterday...one day after getting v42 on Friday to get
the recall done. go figure. But the car drives very smoothly so
nothing urgent... im so happy the stumble is gone. I stopped by the
dealer yesterday to document that it came on and will be driving it
as is for a few days and monitor any odd changes.

The service dept was completely booked, but they said they would
still look at it if i was willing to wait a couple of hours. since I
don't feel any urgency, I decided to go for another 3.5hr drive.

btw, I have a little flat spot in torque at 3k rpm...not a stumble,
just a slight flat spot. Anyone else experience this?
I didn't have this on my v33.

hope the SES turns off today... the car was driving fine right
after the recall and no SES light, so i think it just got triggered
by an error message (similar to that of the tire pressure monitor).

will reset the ECU if it doesn't go off tonight and re-adapt from
scratch. If it still doesn't go off, perhaps my 02 sensor is dying
and will make an appointment to get it fixed.

Old 08-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by kenchan

btw, I have a little flat spot in torque at 3k rpm...not a stumble,
just a slight flat spot. Anyone else experience this?
I didn't have this on my v33.
I have it too, with the JCW 42.1 DME.

Old 08-07-2005, 11:24 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Skiploder
I have it too, with the JCW 42.1 DME.
Thanks... oh well, still not a perfect ECU program.

Old 08-07-2005, 05:28 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Bear in mind because the light goes out does not maen the code is cleared. I actually have a code set every day for my MAF sensor but no light after the first day. I'll have it fixed at next service.

Old 08-07-2005, 05:36 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Bear in mind because the light goes out does not maen the code is cleared. I actually have a code set every day for my MAF sensor but no light after the first day. I'll have it fixed at next service.
If you're using the MTH as you say you have, why do you have this problem what so ever.

Old 08-07-2005, 07:28 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
I don't know how in the world you are connecting those two.

Old 08-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Skiploder
Banned
I thought the Mini did not have a MAF

Old 08-08-2005, 05:21 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
P1688 5768 Electronic Throttle Control Monitor Level 2/3 Mass Air Flow Calculation

Old 08-08-2005, 05:51 AM
Skiploder
Banned
P1688 5768 Electronic Throttle Control Monitor Level 2/3 Mass Air Flow Calculation
The Cooper S uses a MAP sensor (just after the throttle body) and a TMAP (at the intake manifold). I've had to replace both.

If there's a MAF somewhere can you please tell me where? I honestly was under the impression we didn't have one.

Quick Reply: "Service Engine Soon" light at 1200 miles?!