R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Who Has Ordered Mcs Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 08:58 AM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who Has Ordered Mcs Auto?

my mcs should be delivered in march - with the paddles!

who else has ordered one?

is there any truth to the fact that both paddles do the same thing? i have read that a pull on either paddle upshifts, while a press of the thumb downshifts. i was thinking it would be different in that one paddle would up, the other down...anyone know for sure?

cheers - drew

Old 01-08-2005, 09:21 AM
MrV
4th Gear
I have one coming in March also. Don't know for sure about the paddles. I would love to hear more just like you.

I do have a document that says an awful lot more information on the auto tranny though. It's mini's press release for the Detroit show:

Mini at Detroit

Old 01-08-2005, 09:31 AM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
interesting doc - thanks!

- drew

Old 01-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
Originally Posted by newyorkcitymini
my mcs should be delivered in march - with the paddles!

who else has ordered one?

is there any truth to the fact that both paddles do the same thing? i have read that a pull on either paddle upshifts, while a press of the thumb downshifts. i was thinking it would be different in that one paddle would up, the other down...anyone know for sure?

cheers - drew
Mine is coming in March, as well. As I understand it, that is how it operates. I couldn't find anything authoritative in searching to confirm that, however.

Old 01-08-2005, 11:53 AM
LombardStreet
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrV
I do have a document that says an awful lot more information on the auto tranny though. It's mini's press release for the Detroit show:

Mini at Detroit
Interesting document - thanks!

Here are some excerpts (note: the order in which these quotes appear has been changed from the original):

On the road the automatic transmission models offer truly impressive performance almost as good as the manual gearbox versions of the MINI Cooper S...

Indeed, the extremely fast gearshift in just [??] [not sure here - font problem. Is it 1/4?] second gives the driver of the MINI Cooper S even more sporting performance... than the manual gearbox version. ...

Not only superior in performance, but also much more compact and lighter than a conventional five-speed automatic transmission despite its six gears, the new transmission is designed for maximum agility on the road. [My emphasis throughout]
Seems there's some self-contradiction going on here: "almost as good" vs. "even more sporting" and "superior in performance." Hmmm. Maybe "sporting" and "performance" imply "crisper shifts"? I wonder...

I also wonder how the weight of the auto tranny compares to the manual. Anyone know?

Benefitting from this sporting automatic transmission, the most powerful MINI reaches its top speed of 220 km/h or 136 mph (Convertible: 215 km/h or 133 mph) in fifth gear. Accelerating from a standstill, the MINI Cooper S Convertible reaches 100 km/h in 7.9 seconds, the fixed-roof top model completing the same exercise in an even faster 7.7 seconds.
Ah - there's the answer! MINI's own 0-60 specs for the 05s are 6.8 seconds for the MCS and 7.0 for the MCSC. [source: full_features.pdf] I'm not sure how to compare 0-60 times to 0-62 (100km/h) times, but it would seem the automatic is a fair amount slower. (Sidenote: These numbers sure make me wonder about the recent Motor Trend roadtest that gave a 6.4 0-60 time for a non-JCW 05 MCS!)

Of course, those 0-60 times for the manual were probably achieved by a professional test driver. (I know my shifting isn't anywhere near optimal!) But the automatic will produce crisp shifts for anyone from Paddy Hopkirk to The Little Old Lady from Pasadena! It would be very interesting to see some *ahem* informal head-to-head comparisons done by our members once these cars hit the streets.

And FWIW, I've seen different top speeds listed for the 05 MCS, even in MINI's own documents. MINI's full_features.pdf gives 134 mph for both the hatchback and convertible. I've also seen 138. (I'm pretty sure that was also from MINI.) And I've seen 168 hp and 170 hp. Confusing!

Anyway, onto some JCW data:

Developing maximum output of 154 kW/210 bhp and maximum torque of 245 Nm/181 lb-ft, the John Cooper Works MINI Cooper S is certainly the supreme driving machine in its segment. Acceleration to 100 km/h comes in 6.6 seconds, top speed is up to 230 km/h or 143 mph. Interim acceleration from 80–120 km/h (50–75 mph) in fourth gear is equally impressive, taking just 5.4 seconds.
Once again, that really makes me wonder about the Motor Trend article!

Finally, one last comment I found interesting. (This was about the automatics, not the JCWs.)

To transmit the unique sound of the engine and compressor, the acoustic “bridges” leading to the passenger compartment and exhaust system have been designed especially for this version of the car. Precisely this puts the emphasis on that athletic sound whenever the driver uses the power and performance of his muscular MINI.
I had heard rumors that MINI played around with the structure of the car to get just the right "note" in the cockpit, but this is the first time I've seen it in print from the horse's mouth. Way to go, MINI!

(God - made by enthusiasts for enthusiasts! What a concept!)

Old 01-08-2005, 06:20 PM
mini=love
2nd Gear
I have an auto MCSC on order due in mid to late February. :smile:

I think the paddles are going to be VERY cool! :smile:

Old 01-08-2005, 07:14 PM
LombardStreet
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mini=love
I have an auto MCSC on order due in mid to late February. :smile:

I think the paddles are going to be VERY cool! :smile:
My brother has an Audi 3.2 TT with paddles and it's just that - VERY cool!

Old 01-08-2005, 07:33 PM
supergimp
4th Gear
I saw the paddles first hand today at the LA Auto Show. Indeed both shift up and down. Here are some pics:

Old 01-08-2005, 08:06 PM
speltzer
5th Gear
Nice pics Supergimp. I changed my 2005 MCS automatic Steptronic order back to the truly outstanding bulletproof Getrag 6-speed manual. It's a normal "slushbox", not the Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG) design found on some BMW's. I was hoping this was a clean sheet of paper design SMG from BMW, but it's the same 6 speed FWD automatic transmission found in the Audi TT and VW New Beetle. It is a proven design however, so I would not be hesitant about ordering it.

New Beetle

Audi TT

Old 01-08-2005, 08:56 PM
MrV
4th Gear
Supergimp. You're my hero. FINALLY someone gets some pictures of these paddle shifters (well, good ones anyway).

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2005, 02:30 AM
Thameth
5th Gear

Whats the little R/T button??? And is that a Phone button???? For what??

Old 01-09-2005, 06:59 AM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
great shots - very cool!

- drew

Old 01-09-2005, 07:04 AM
Ozbone
3rd Gear
The other two buttons are related to the new Bluetooth option. Check motoringfile for the few details that exist.

Old 01-09-2005, 07:24 AM
MrV
4th Gear
Anybody know if those bluetooth buttons come standard on the multifunction wheels now? I'm getting the wheel, but not the bluetooth package (I really have absolutely no need for that).

Or are there really 2 different MF wheels now ?

Old 01-09-2005, 07:29 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MrV
Anybody know if those bluetooth buttons come standard on the multifunction wheels now? I'm getting the wheel, but not the bluetooth package (I really have absolutely no need for that).

Or are there really 2 different MF wheels now ?

Yes that wheel should be the standard MFSW.

And yes... it was said previously but I can verify that both paddles do the same thing. It operates in an identical fashion to BMWs non-M version SMG paddles (even though this transmission is far removed from SMG).

btw supergimp - how did you like that orange tip on the stalk to the right of the steering wheel For those that have no idea what I'm talking about: http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/11/..._orange_lights

Old 01-09-2005, 07:50 AM
MrV
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Gabe

btw supergimp - how did you like that orange tip on the stalk to the right of the steering wheel For those that have no idea what I'm talking about: http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/11/..._orange_lights
Hey Gabe, you're right. I missed that. I thought we weren't getting that over here in the states yet (or even this year)?? Sure would be nice to get that on my March delivery MCS.

Old 01-09-2005, 08:12 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Awesome pics supergimp!

Wow! If you look closely at this one you will see the orange LED on the end of the wiper stalk that indicates when the washer fluids are low. I know that the UK spec cars are supposed to get this new feature, but no one knows about the US spec cars. I wonder if this is an indication that all of the Jan 2005 and later build cars will have it (including those coming to the US)??? I hope so!

EDIT: Oops it looks like Gabe already beat me to it.

Old 01-09-2005, 08:12 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MrV
Hey Gabe, you're right. I missed that. I thought we weren't getting that over here in the states yet (or even this year)?? Sure would be nice to get that on my March delivery MCS.
We should be getting the orange warning lamp (and increased washer capacity) on everything built after 1/1/05.

You can find out more here: http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/11...d_orange_lights

Old 01-09-2005, 08:19 AM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Gabe
We should be getting the orange warning lamp (and increased washer capacity) on everything built after 1/1/05.
that would be very cool indeed - i had no idea gabe!

now even more psyched for my '05 mcsauto - drew

Old 01-09-2005, 08:47 PM
C4
Banned
Speltzer, are you selling or trading your '04 MCS for a new '05 MCS?

Originally Posted by speltzer
Nice pics Supergimp. I changed my 2005 MCS automatic Steptronic order back to the truly outstanding bulletproof Getrag 6-speed manual. It's a normal "slushbox", not the Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG) design found on some BMW's. I was hoping this was a clean sheet of paper design SMG from BMW, but it's the same 6 speed FWD automatic transmission found in the Audi TT and VW New Beetle. It is a proven design however, so I would not be hesitant about ordering it.

New Beetle

Audi TT

Old 01-09-2005, 09:11 PM
speltzer
5th Gear
Cooper4us, I sent you a PM...

Old 01-10-2005, 07:07 AM
MiniMe05
4th Gear
Our MCS auto will be built tomorrow! WooHoo!

Old 01-10-2005, 07:52 AM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMe05
Our MCS auto will be built tomorrow! WooHoo!
very cool! mine isn't scheduled to be built until feb.11 - only another month!

Old 01-10-2005, 07:54 AM
theWrkncacnter
4th Gear
This whose paddle shifter thing on the 05 MCS makes me seethe with anger every time I hear about it. But hey, if you want to be a WUSS go right ahead and get one

Old 01-10-2005, 07:58 AM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by theWrkncacnter
This whose paddle shifter thing on the 05 MCS makes me seethe with anger every time I hear about it. But hey, if you want to be a WUSS go right ahead and get one
classy post - you're sure to make friends being an arrogant pr-ck like that.

begone.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Who Has Ordered Mcs Auto?