Road Racing Discussion Interested in taking your MINI road racing? Find out what you need to do to get your MINI ready!

better wet tire option?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 06:45 AM
replacement
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
better wet tire option?

I have a track day coming up this week and rain is in the forecast, any thoughts on which would fare better, my daily driven Dunlop runflats (SP SPORT 01 DSST, 205/45-17) or an older track setup Yokohama AD08 (not the “R”s), 235/40-17? Both have pretty decent tread depth, but the Dunlops definitely more, and they’re newer (no heat cycles, which the Yokos have many).

I was thinking that if conditions aren’t too wet the AD08s will be ok, but if it’s bad the Dunlops may be safer? AD08 did not fare too well in the wet in an old car and driver test: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...va-ad08-page-8

To add to the mix, I also have a set of Kuhmo v720s reserved for autocross use only, as reviews say they do NOT hold up to the heat and stress of full track use, but maybe ok on a wet track…?

Old 08-22-2016, 12:38 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
What happened? Did it rain? What tire did you use and how did it work for you?

Generally once it rains just slow down and evaluate how much grip you have. Most track tires will not do well in the rain but runflats aren't the greatest either.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:51 PM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Old thread, but IMO B'stone RE71Rs are the best for a street tire......uesd them many times at Mid-Ohio (the WORST in the wet) and other tracks with great success.

Gary

Old 08-23-2016, 07:12 AM
replacement
2nd Gear
It ended up being dry so I ran the AD08s, probably out one more time on them this year so I'll see how the weather goes.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:18 AM
gbuff1
4th Gear
AD08s have been around forever--they're an old tire. The RE71Rs are pretty new with the accompanying modern technology--w/o ever trying the former I'd venture to say you'd really like the latter in the dry as well as the wet. I think they're cheaper, too

Others must feel that way too; while TR has them in stock now, I ordered a bunch in March and they were out of stock until early June!

Old 09-01-2016, 10:55 AM
replacement
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gbuff1
AD08s have been around forever--they're an old tire. The RE71Rs are pretty new with the accompanying modern technology--w/o ever trying the former I'd venture to say you'd really like the latter in the dry as well as the wet. I think they're cheaper, too

Others must feel that way too; while TR has them in stock now, I ordered a bunch in March and they were out of stock until early June!
Oh yeah these AD08s are really old, but still have decent tread so I'm running them out this year before upgrading.

The only thing I'm not sure about with the RE71Rs is that they're apparently very quick wearing (thanks to being very soft and sticky). I thought they were getting more traction (no pun intended) in autocross circles than for track days, but are they holding up to track duty for most people?

The Kuhmo V720 for example, well I bought a set of them at the beginning of last year for autocross use, and at the time thought I could also use for the occasional track day. Well since then they’ve been found to not hold up to extended heat cycles on a track, so while fantastic for both autocross and daily driving, tirerack explicity states “Ecsta V720 should not be driven on a race track.”

Old 09-01-2016, 12:12 PM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by replacement
Oh yeah these AD08s are really old, but still have decent tread so I'm running them out this year before upgrading.

The only thing I'm not sure about with the RE71Rs is that they're apparently very quick wearing (thanks to being very soft and sticky). I thought they were getting more traction (no pun intended) in autocross circles than for track days, but are they holding up to track duty for most people?

The Kuhmo V720 for example, well I bought a set of them at the beginning of last year for autocross use, and at the time thought I could also use for the occasional track day. Well since then they’ve been found to not hold up to extended heat cycles on a track, so while fantastic for both autocross and daily driving, tirerack explicity states “Ecsta V720 should not be driven on a race track.”

The RE71s are very soft--I get 2 track days before I flip them on the rims. But they are worth it--they stick like glue.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:12 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by replacement

I had been look at the V720 as a replacement tire based on the great review they got in the TR tire test. I couldn't find where TR said they shouldn't be driven on the track. Sorry if I missed it as a TR statement.

I did, however, see that a lot of people who posted reviews, did say that the center tread section did delaminate and some of those people did say that the tire was not track worthy. Which is disappointing given the price of the tire. But as the saying goes, you don't get something for nothing. I appreciate being able to see those posts.

Originally Posted by gbuff1
The RE71s are very soft--I get 2 track days before I flip them on the rims. But they are worth it--they stick like glue.
Boy, you push that little car of yours much harder than I do...
I think I have 6 or 7 track days on my RE71s and they are wearing quite well. But I am also running -1.5 deg camber up front. I expect that they will go another 5 - 6 days before they are toast. I do plan to flip them before next season.

As for the OPs question, my experience has been that these cars do very well in the rain, even with very little tread but on street tires. I ran old, overly heatcycled, worn out with wear bars showing Dunlop ZIs in the rain without issue...for example:

There may be more of an issue with wider tires. The ZIs were 215-45x17s. Not sure how the 235s would do. But with good tread, I'd run them.

As for the RE71s in the rain...they are great!

Last edited by Eddie07S; 10-15-2016 at 07:21 AM. Reason: typo