Road Racing Discussion Interested in taking your MINI road racing? Find out what you need to do to get your MINI ready!

Bay Area?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Moire
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bay Area?

finally gettin Coop to run the way I want him and now I wanna see how he stacks up against other cars. anybody know where I can race around the SF Bay Area, both legal and otherwise?

Old 11-12-2014, 10:26 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 11-12-2014, 11:18 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately there's a shortage of auto crosses recently. The SCCA should be having a slush season, but is running into scheduling problems. The BMW club has finished for the year. UFO has closed down. AAS has finished for the year.

Next year isn't looking too good, Marina is uncertain due to the FAA, Oakland is having the scheduling difficulties, Santa Clara got a stadium built on it, Candlestick is being torn down. The next Crow's Landing event is 14-15 March. There'll be Sacramento SCCA in Stockton and Sacramento hopefully, but they're a little far for me. Or you can go all the way down to Fresno.

A good place to look for auto crosses is http://www.baautox.com there's a thread "All the scheduled NorCal 2014 autocrosses". That only lists Fresno's finale and PCA's last event still to come this year. To attend the Fresno one, you have to go to Fresno, for the PCA one you need a Porsche or get invited.

Track days are fun, but are not racing. If you really want to race you probably need full safety gear (roll cage, harness etc), though some clubs do time trials without all the gear, I'm not sure how sensible that is. NCRC and Speed Venture seems to do that, but NCRC is finished for the year, and SV is mainly SoCal, unless you want to drive to ButtonWillow.

If you want to drag race, Sonoma does Wednesday night drags, but tonight is the last of the year, they may start again next March.

Illegal racing would be stupid as well as getting this thread locked.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:58 AM
Moire
1st Gear
no I, not talking about the stupid gangs running quarter miles in the ghetto. I wanna go around a track and turns and whatnot. I just don't know if there's like unorganized autocross events. just want somewhere to drive for fun without constantly checking my mirror for cops.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:50 AM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
see www.hookedondriving.com

Plenty of Northern CA track days, Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, Sonoma. These are HPDEs, not racing, with an emphasis on safety. No open passing in Groups A, B, or C, but that's OK with me. It's nice to not have to worry about somebody trying to out brake me just as I'm turning in.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:02 PM
mini pooper
6th Gear
For regularly scheduled track days in northern California, Hooked on Driving is the best. Well run, great coaches and very professional.

Once a year I put on MINI Thunder at Thunderhill Raceway on Presidents Day weekend in Feb. It is a Minis only day. It has grown over the years and has a great turnout. We have Beginner, intermediate, Advanced, and Race Prepared groups.

We have a Facebook page Stormin Norman's MINI Thunder and www.minithunderevents.com or go to www.minithunderhill.com. We are not active at the moment as we do this once a year but you can get information about us and the event. Please contact me if you have any questions. pooper@wildblue.net

By the way we have organized a MINI Corral for the CTSCC races at Laguna Seca on May 1-3 2015. Love to have you join us. Details are posted on a thread above under General Racing