R61 :: Paceman Talk R61 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R61 help identifying new noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 04:49 PM
toddkc
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help identifying new noise

Hi all, I am hoping someone here can help me. I recently got my first mini (2014 paceman all4). Love it!

Just got back from a trip to Pikes Peak in Colorado. Lot of driving up steep roads. There is now a noise that wasn't there pre-trip. It wasn't there on the 12+ hour trip home either, but randomly started a few days after getting back home.

The noise occurs while accelerating, only when in gear (not in neutral/park). It happens in every gear, any rpm. The instant I let off the accelerator it stops. I have crawled under the car and can't see anything that looks wrong.

If I had to try and describe the noise, I would say it sounds like someone put a zip tie on my drive shaft. That happened to me once, and was the first thing I thought of when this started.

There is no change in performance, just the slightly annoying noise. Easily drowned out with the radio, but clearly resulting from something that I need to address before it gets worse.

Ideas? I will eventually take it in somewhere, but would like to see if I can figure it out first. Thanks!