R61 :: Paceman Talk R61 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R61 Removing 2nd Cat and Resonator

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Eskimomice
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing 2nd Cat and Resonator

So, I've called a few local muffler shops and they are all telling me that they can remove the resonator, but they won't touch the cat... saying it's illegal to remove and so they won't do it. Anyone else running into this problem and know of a way to explain to them that it's ok? (or is removing the 2nd cat something that is really illegal to do?)

Old 01-28-2014, 01:22 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Eskimomice
So, I've called a few local muffler shops and they are all telling me that they can remove the resonator, but they won't touch the cat... saying it's illegal to remove and so they won't do it. Anyone else running into this problem and know of a way to explain to them that it's ok? (or is removing the 2nd cat something that is really illegal to do?)
It has to do with emissions that's why it's illegal. But keep searching different shops. I found one out of the three that did it for me. Good luck.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Eskimomice
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
It has to do with emissions that's why it's illegal. But keep searching different shops. I found one out of the three that did it for me. Good luck.
so if I remove the second cat, will i still be able to pass emissions? (I don't live in CA)...

I've always had cat-back exhaust upgrades in my prior cars, so not sure how this would pan out with a 2nd cat.... and what function that 2nd cat actually has...

Old 01-28-2014, 05:01 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rumor has it the 2nd cat is on the S and NOT on the JCW due to emission laws in Europe. I'm considering removing my 2nd cat myself but that's a project for another day. Why remove the resonator? You want it to be louder? People say the car stays quiet until you change the mufflers, but I don't know personally.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:04 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
so if I remove the second cat, will i still be able to pass emissions? (I don't live in CA)... I've always had cat-back exhaust upgrades in my prior cars, so not sure how this would pan out with a 2nd cat.... and what function that 2nd cat actually has...
It's just like the catalytic converter you have on your DP as well. No you will not pass emissions but it depends. Usually the smell does it. But if you bought the car new, then I believe in California it's five years until you have your first emissions test. Someone could chime in if I'm wrong.

Also, the JCW does have a second cat, I forgot which year it began but the N18 '13 JCW has it and the GP.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:23 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
I removed my second cat and it made a nice power increase at the top of the rpm range. Removing the primary car made the car about 30% louder, the second cat another 15% louder, too much for me. I added a Vibrant 14" resenator where the 2nd cat was. The more boost you run,the more catless helps. Sent from my iPhone Office

Attached Thumbnails Removing 2nd Cat and Resonator-image-1912629011.jpg   Removing 2nd Cat and Resonator-image-193403431.jpg  
2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 01-28-2014, 06:02 PM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
I removed my second cat and it made a nice power increase at the top of the rpm range. Removing the primary car made the car about 30% louder, the second cat another 15% louder, too much for me. I added a Vibrant 14" resenator where the 2nd cat was. The more boost you run,the more catless helps. Sent from my iPhone Office
Hate to ask, but do you have any video of your exhaust?

Old 01-28-2014, 06:10 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Dustypants
Hate to ask, but do you have any video of your exhaust?
I have this simple video I did today. My exhaust is stock, with a DP and Magnaflow Tips

Sent from my iPhone Office

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 01-29-2014, 07:50 AM
Eskimomice
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Ian Landesman
Rumor has it the 2nd cat is on the S and NOT on the JCW due to emission laws in Europe. I'm considering removing my 2nd cat myself but that's a project for another day. Why remove the resonator? You want it to be louder? People say the car stays quiet until you change the mufflers, but I don't know personally.
yeah, i'm trying to go louder =)...

Old 01-29-2014, 07:57 AM
Eskimomice
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
It's just like the catalytic converter you have on your DP as well. No you will not pass emissions but it depends. Usually the smell does it. But if you bought the car new, then I believe in California it's five years until you have your first emissions test. Someone could chime in if I'm wrong.

Also, the JCW does have a second cat, I forgot which year it began but the N18 '13 JCW has it and the GP.
hmmm... I had a facebook Paceman group member post up a video of the 2nd cat and resonator delete and I LOVE the sound of it...

I live in GA so it's 2 years without emissions testing for me... grrr... decisions and internal debate...

do i cut out the 2nd cat and resonator and enjoy my car for two years... then face the problem of the emissions...

perhaps does anyone have a sound clip of having just the resonator only removed? that might be a happy compromise... if not, I'll try it out and post up videos once I find a shop that's open to do it for me... worst case if it's not loud enough, I'll go in again to have the 2nd cat removed...

Old 01-29-2014, 09:13 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
hmmm... I had a facebook Paceman group member post up a video of the 2nd cat and resonator delete and I LOVE the sound of it... I live in GA so it's 2 years without emissions testing for me... grrr... decisions and internal debate... do i cut out the 2nd cat and resonator and enjoy my car for two years... then face the problem of the emissions... perhaps does anyone have a sound clip of having just the resonator only removed? that might be a happy compromise... if not, I'll try it out and post up videos once I find a shop that's open to do it for me... worst case if it's not loud enough, I'll go in again to have the 2nd cat removed...
I say do it and keep the 2nd cat after they cut it out and replace it with a straight pipe. Then you can just put it back later on before emissions testing in the future.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:07 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
i put a milltek dp back exhaust on my cms all4

it replaces everything from the v-band clamp back, took about 1 hour to install, using all the oem mounting points/hardware

the milltek is 2.5" all the way and does improve the spool time alot and at lower rpm, making the car much more responsive ... if there is an increase in hp is is very small

loss of the second cat will not show at all if the emissions test is a plug into the obdII port test as the second cat is not monitored by the car computer as the DP cat is

i kept the original exhaust just in case, but since here the test is a plug in only i am not expecting to need it

scott

Old 02-09-2014, 02:12 PM
HorseWithNoName
4th Gear
Question?

When I swooped the exhaust on my r56s the 2nd cat and resonator had a straight through flow by line of sight. On the r61s does the resonator and 2nd cat have a straight through line of sight flow or does the resonator divert the flow because of its offset design?

Last edited by HorseWithNoName; 02-09-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:01 AM
Markbett
2nd Gear
So what did you end up doing with your exhaust? I'm in the same boat searching for options.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:28 AM
Eskimomice
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Markbett
So what did you end up doing with your exhaust? I'm in the same boat searching for options.
I'm actually still searching for a shop that will do the work for me... guess I live in a pretty straight laced area. I want to have the resonator and 2nd cat removed... looks like it's not even monitored by a sensor. Darn those honest hard working chaps!

Old 08-21-2015, 01:27 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
If you just want more sound and have a hard time with people removing the resonator / cat.

You have Megan Racing and NM engineering options.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2014-Cooper_Paceman-R61-S-Hatchback-L4_1.6L_N18B16A/Exhaust/Performance/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-16-2015, 07:35 AM
Markbett
2nd Gear
For me, a new performance exhaust is the last resort. I don't want to sound like those other 4 cylinder cars with the after market exhaust, loud and obnoxious. I want to ease my way into the sound and by removing the resonator, I think I'll get a nice little bump in the tone without creating that all too familiar 18 year old's Subaru sound. Let's face it, it is only 4 cylinders, so you never achieve that deep throaty V-8 rumble.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:53 AM
axsys
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Markbett
For me, a new performance exhaust is the last resort. I don't want to sound like those other 4 cylinder cars with the after market exhaust, loud and obnoxious. I want to ease my way into the sound and by removing the resonator, I think I'll get a nice little bump in the tone without creating that all too familiar 18 year old's Subaru sound. Let's face it, it is only 4 cylinders, so you never achieve that deep throaty V-8 rumble.
I removed the 2nd cat and resonator and installed a Magnaflow 10415 where the stock pieces were. It was a way too loud for me with a straight pipe in place. It has a little bit of rumble to it at most times and makes a nice growl under load without being too loud.

Here is a link for the muffler. You will need a few inches of 2.25" stainless tubing at each end to weld to the stock exhaust.

http://amzn.com/B000COVA2G

Old 02-16-2021, 12:40 PM
to_aussie
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this is an OLD thread, but thinking of doing this to my R60.
Was the sound any louder than stock, or just a more refined tone?

This is the muffler i'm planning to get:
https://www.partsengine.ca/magnaflow...r-p-82011.aspx

Any comments are appreciated.

Old 02-16-2021, 01:29 PM
Markbett
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by to_aussie

Yes, both, but not much louder. I didn't want to pay out $600 for a new muffler not knowing what I was getting, so I removed the cat then evaluated the sound. It was good for me. no drone at highway speeds too. Hope that helps.

The following users liked this post:
to_aussie (02-16-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 12:18 PM
Gillxt
Neutral
Originally Posted by to_aussie

I know this is an old post, but was brought back a couple of months ago. My F56 is completely straight piped from the downpipe back, so when I got my Paceman in October, the first thing I did was cut up my exhaust. I had a buddy of mine who drives an r53 and works at a custom exhaust shop remove the second cat, resonator and muffler and I’m happy with how it sounds now. I can get a video over to you if you if you’re still wondering what it sounds like.

Old 05-12-2021, 12:25 PM
to_aussie
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gillxt
I know this is an old post, but was brought back a couple of months ago. My F56 is completely straight piped from the downpipe back, so when I got my Paceman in October, the first thing I did was cut up my exhaust. I had a buddy of mine who drives an r53 and works at a custom exhaust shop remove the second cat, resonator and muffler and I’m happy with how it sounds now. I can get a video over to you if you if you’re still wondering what it sounds like.
All good, I have alreay removed the 2nd cat and resonator. Sounds perfect the way it is.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:21 PM
Markbett
2nd Gear
that's an easy question with a complex answer. For some reason, the factory JCW's exhaust doesn't respond when switching into sport mode. Normally you'll get a pop and burble on the deceleration and a rougher tone when accelerating. Not so in my JCW. Of course I didn't know this before I removed the second cat and resonator, I only found this after the delete. I was looking for a better tone overall without spending big bucks on something that I may or may not like. I figured I'd do the delete then evaluate how to proceed. Mind you, I wasn't looking to create a rice burner, just a more wholesome tone. Which I think I achieved and highway driving is well within db range. But trying to describe an exhaust tone to someone, is like trying to describe the color red to a blind person. To each their own. Depending on where you are, you'll nee to find a shop that will chop out the parts, 2 shops I went to refused to mess with OEM, the 3 was good with it.