R61 :: Paceman Talk R61 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R61 What did you do to your PACEMAN today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 09:28 AM
nicknrmn9
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did the 2nd Cat and Resonator Delete last night, all of 18$ worth of piping and two exhaust cuts. I've got to say, I'm impressed with how it sounds pulling away. Sounds like a little turbo boxer engine!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:54 AM
HorseWithNoName
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hot side turbo resonator replacement with Pre-Intercooler Cooling Pipe.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...c674ff31c60f73

Old 07-19-2014, 05:53 AM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Ordered a VIP CAI (a few days ago, actually). Yeah, yeah, no measurable hp gains or anything. I don't care at this point ... I've got the JB+ tune and a Megan muffler, so why not round out the cheapo mods with an intake, and get a little extra noise for excitement if I can't get all the HP I really want.

Should be coming next week ... will post up results when it's in.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:40 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
I ordered the same intake; getting installed today along with a Hella light kit. Will post pix after the install, and hope to report a little gain in power from the CAI.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Just finished installing the VIP CAI. Not too difficult a job. I'm not totally mechanically-impaired, but I don't do a whole lot in the way of wrenching these days. Took me about 1 1/2 hours all told, including removing and re-installing the strut tower brace. No real difficulties to speak of, other than step 2, the first step after removing the stock air box, which says: "Install the 3" black silicon connector by sliding it on until it stops at the ring. Use the supplied hose clamp and tighten. See Picture #1." The problem is, it doesn't say what to install the 3" black silicon connector to, and Picture #1 does very little to clarify exactly what it is. After fitting all the pieces in place, I realized that it slips over the end of the stock cold air tube, which then slides into the lower hole in the VIP main bracket. Basically, all it does is hold the cold air tube from rattling around. I took my time, pre-fit everything, and was extremely careful to not drop any screws or nuts. I had what seemed like half the tools I own out (it wasn't really that many, but it seemed like it by the time I was done); luckily I had everything I needed, including the T-25 and T-30 Torx head drivers.

Now as for the noise -- it does make some noise, but not exactly what I was expecting. I had installed a CAI on a PT Cruiser (non-turbo), and it gave it a nice throaty growl when I romped on it. On this installation, there isn't really much more of a growl than I already had, but there is a whole lot of hissing and whooshing coming out of the turbo now that I never heard before. I only took it for a short shot down the road and back, but I'll have it out for a longer drive tomorrow and get a better idea of what other noises it might make, and if there's any noticeable performance boost. So far I haven't felt much of anything, but after everything I've read here, I wasn't expecting much anyway.

Next stop, I think I need a big fat-a$$ rear anti-sway bar (not something I'm going to attempt myself), you know, to make it handle more like a proper MINI.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:41 PM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Please report back after driving more.

The rear sway install wasn't that bad, but I had access to a lift.

If you get the VIP bar then ask them to send the spacers. Their bar is great but on some roads made contact with the sub frame. They quickly sent some spacers (for free and super quick shipping) but I had to do extra work since I didn't get them automatically.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:45 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by miniwpbear

If you get the VIP bar then ask them to send the spacers. Their bar is great but on some roads made contact with the sub frame. They quickly sent some spacers (for free and super quick shipping) but I had to do extra work since I didn't get them automatically.
Will definitely report again after I can give it a good thrashing.

And thanks for that info on the spacers!

Old 07-27-2014, 06:18 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
I did the rear sway as my first mod and felt a very significant difference in body roll in the corners. I had the same VIP CAI installed and noticed and noticed a decent increase in power, but I have the base model, and the car really was a dog to begin with. I just wanted to mention that if anybody else out there has the 'Justa' version, the CAI really helps get you off the line, and the sound, although definitely noticeable when you are on the gas, does not drone once you are cruising. Hella light kit from VIP really improved the sight distance at night, since car did not come with xenons. I think they look pretty good, too. Pix soon, I promise!

Old 07-27-2014, 09:26 AM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear

So I got to get a little more 'spirited' with it yesterday, and first thing I'm quite pleased to say is that it certainly doesn't run any worse. I can't say that it has noticeably more power, at least at the top end, but it does seem to be more responsive at the beginning of each shift. I also hear a bit more tone out of the Megan exhaust, but still no annoying drone when just cruising.

The biggest surprise I guess is still all the different noises coming out of the turbo. You can definitely hear it sucking in air during acceleration; but the real hoot is hearing that blow-off valve now when I never heard it before. I feel just a little bit more in touch with the engine and what it's doing now. Definitely not sorry I got it.

Just for people who don't follow my every syllable, I also have a Megan axle-back exhaust and the JB+ tune. The three seem to be working together nicely to improve this car's all-around fun factor. I had also installed a VIP strut tower brace in the front; that seems to have improved steering responsiveness, but didn't really do much for overall handling. A rear sway bar should be the last piece of the puzzle. And maybe some strips ... for another 5 hp. Each.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:32 AM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
I ordered yesterday the VIP AIRVIP 3 and the turbo heat shield.

I really like the quality of VIP. I have the front strut bar and rear sway bar from them already.

Hoping to get a little hp from the airvip combined with my jb+.

Ed, are you lowering it also? I went cheap and did HR Springs. Coil overs would be better ride but for the cost the HR Springs are working out just fine.

Did the exhaust gain any hp?

Old 07-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
I ordered yesterday the VIP AIRVIP 3 and the turbo heat shield.

I really like the quality of VIP. I have the front strut bar and rear sway bar from them already.

Hoping to get a little hp from the airvip combined with my jb+.

Ed, are you lowering it also? I went cheap and did HR Springs. Coil overs would be better ride but for the cost the HR Springs are working out just fine.

Did the exhaust gain any hp?
I'm happy with the quality of the VIP products as well -- happy enough that I'll probably get their rear sway bar when I take that plunge.

I don't think I'll be doing any more suspension mods other than the sway bar ... that's starting to get into more serious labor that I'm just not that serious to get into.

As for the exhaust, I think there was a minimal gain. There's definitely more tone, though that took a few thousand miles for it to open up a bit. Both the intake and the exhaust seem to point more to letting the turbo spool up a little quicker; there isn't measurably more power, but it's there sooner. I would love to see what this setup would do with a real tune.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:28 PM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Which tools (T screwdriver etc) do I need for the AIRVIP install?

Old 07-30-2014, 11:14 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by HorseWithNoName
ASKtheteach
4th Gear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggivet
Did you notice any change in FM reception with the shorter antenna?

The FM antenna is built into the back window glass. The rubber antenna is only for AM reception. Unless you listen to AM, you could actually take it off, and it won't affect anything.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW, I did not know that..

Must have been the weather or my imagination

Thanks ASKtheteach

There is actual a newer design MINI stubby that is 82mm. And the older design, which is the same as the URO 105mm version.

MINI Stubby:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/65202296772/

MINI Stubby - 82MM

URO Stubby- 105

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Which tools (T screwdriver etc) do I need for the AIRVIP install?
T25 Torx
T30 Torx
7 MM, 8 MM, 10 MM and 11MM sockets
11 MM open end wrench
5/32" Allen wrench
Small straight screwdriver

If I can ever remember to take the destructions to work, I can scan them and shoot a copy to anybody who needs them. But my memory sucks, especially when I'm getting ready for work in the morning.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:11 PM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Installed VIP CAI and Turbo Heat Shield today. (Front Strut Bar is also VIP)(jb+ also old install)

Took me about 3 hours including modifying the Mini Black plastic cover to fit with the heat shield.

Is the bottom hole supposed to be open with nothing attached or even a screen?

Pictures posted. Also added the VIP sticker to add 5hp just in case the CAI doesn't give any performance gain

What did you do to your PACEMAN today?-forumrunner_20140803_151022.jpg

What did you do to your PACEMAN today?-forumrunner_20140803_151039.jpg

What did you do to your PACEMAN today?-forumrunner_20140803_151050.jpg

What did you do to your PACEMAN today?-forumrunner_20140803_151102.jpg

What did you do to your PACEMAN today?-forumrunner_20140803_151117.jpg

Old 08-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Installed VIP CAI and Turbo Heat Shield today. (Front Strut Bar is also VIP)(jb+ also old install)

Took me about 3 hours including modifying the Mini Black plastic cover to fit with the heat shield.

Is the bottom hole supposed to be open with nothing attached or even a screen?

Pictures posted. Also added the VIP sticker to add 5hp just in case the CAI doesn't give any performance gain
The bottom hole holds the stock cold air tube. There's a 3" silicone tube that clamps onto the end of the cold air tube, and that in turn sits in the lower hole of the VIP bracket. It basically just keeps the cold air tube from flopping around.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:18 PM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Yep, that's how I got it installed.

Last edited by miniwpbear; 08-03-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:41 PM
SuperC00per_2014
1st Gear
Paceman is now a Pac Man

this past week i had Crystaline window tint installed all around, a clear bra over the whole hood and today, I turned my Paceman into a Pac Man...

tomorrow i head to the dealer to pick up the Chilli Red intake vents that were supposed to come with the car and have a quick check of all fluids and the brakes before we roll out for MTTS 2014 on Weds!

excited!

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your PACEMAN today?-mini_pac_man.jpg  
Old 08-04-2014, 07:12 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Only a matter of time till I guessed someone would do that.

Have fun at MTTS Chi-town.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 AM
SuperC00per_2014
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Only a matter of time till I guessed someone would do that.

Have fun at MTTS Chi-town.
i know i'm not the first
the Pac Man was supposed to come de-badged/stealth from the factory, but my order had lots of things that fell through the cracks unfortunately. so i figured i'd play with the badging a bit before removing it myself.
who knows, maybe the 'Chilli Red Pac Man' will become a thing after MTTS

Old 08-18-2014, 06:16 PM
14PacemanSAll4
2nd Gear
Went and got my first scheduled oil change, they even bathed the car for me.

Saw some of the new Cooper S on the floor and they are gorgeous. The Paceman is nice and all but the new guys have some serious tech and good lines. Also the S apparently has 189 HP?! While we are stuck with 181 in a bigger car, JB+ helps but come on Mini!

Old 08-19-2014, 02:26 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by SuperC00per_2014
i know i'm not the first
the Pac Man was supposed to come de-badged/stealth from the factory, but my order had lots of things that fell through the cracks unfortunately. so i figured i'd play with the badging a bit before removing it myself.
who knows, maybe the 'Chilli Red Pac Man' will become a thing after MTTS
I have heard of PacMan and people wanting SPaceman , but you were the first I have seen.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:38 AM
techgearpro
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
miniwpbear,

Could you post a few more outdoor daylight photos of your Starlight Blue Paceman with the red brake duct intake inserts?

Thanks!

This weekend was a big one. Friday painted calipers. Saturday added Burger Motorsports JB+. Sunday PlastiDip Mirror caps and brake ducts red.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:27 AM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Some more pics of my Paceman.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your PACEMAN today?-img_14387688424888.jpeg   What did you do to your PACEMAN today?-0208151534.jpg   What did you do to your PACEMAN today?-img_20160514_103357.jpg  
Old 07-05-2016, 06:59 PM
techgearpro
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks miniwpbear

Quick Reply: R61 What did you do to your PACEMAN today?