R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Soft Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:04 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Soft Check Engine Light

So this is now the 3rd time it has happened. If I give a long full throttle pull in 3rd or 4th gear I get an orange check engine light. Nothing changes in the performance of the car. When I turn the car off and back on, the engine light is gone and there are no codes or engine lights. Dealer told me it is most likely the gas cap, anyone else have an idea before I buy a new one?

Old 01-17-2017, 08:32 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
does the check engine light stay after it appears? can you get the codes read from autozone even if the light isnt lit? have you had the HPFP replaced?

Old 01-17-2017, 08:37 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
does the check engine light stay after it appears? can you get the codes read from autozone even if the light isnt lit? have you had the HPFP replaced?

The CEL only stays on until I shut the car off. I can literally come to a stop right after it turns on, shut the car off and restart, light is gone and no code to be found. I have a Scangauge hooked up at all times and never any codes. I've even checked with another code reader and nothing. I purchased this vehicle used so I don't have all of the service records, not sure if the HPFP has been replaced.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:45 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
try to scan it when the CEL is on. since it is intermittent and happens only when you demand speed, it then has something to do with ignition system. either not enough fuel (HPFP), not proper spark (spark plugs) or turbo not giving enough air.

you feel hesitation and loose of power WHILE that is taking place?

Old 01-17-2017, 08:50 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
try to scan it when the CEL is on. since it is intermittent and happens only when you demand speed, it then has something to do with ignition system. either not enough fuel (HPFP), not proper spark (spark plugs) or turbo not giving enough air.

you feel hesitation and loose of power WHILE that is taking place?

No loss of anything. It came on last night after a long 3-4th gear pull to 100mph to merge onto highway. Then drove over 60 miles at 70 mph+ with no issues. a few other on ramp romps on the way home and boost was still hitting 15psi (I have jb+). After getting to first stop sign I turned car off and back on, light was gone and no code. Drove 20 miles to work today and everything was normal.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:53 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
humm...i assume when you drive normal it does not happen at all, right? it might be programmed to let you know that "hey, your pushing the engine!". not sure.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:57 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
humm...i assume when you drive normal it does not happen at all, right? it might be programmed to let you know that "hey, your pushing the engine!". not sure.

Correct, only comes on during long (20+ second), full throttle pulls, which aren't often. Short 10 second romps or anything that requires a shift and lift off accelerator never shows a light.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:38 AM
TJANK
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds similar to my check engine light issue which was revealing a code related to turbo when I would downshift hard--spiking up the rpms. As their are at least 6 codes for turbo/blow off valve, the dealer could not tell me which particular code it was. Dealer recommended and reprogrammed the engine for $185 with the statement that 9 out of 10 times it will resolve itself (I assume by making the thresholds limits more lenient). They quoted that if you needed a turbo replacement, it would be $4,000 (turbo itself is $2,700) Good luck..

Old 01-17-2017, 12:03 PM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TJANK
Sounds similar to my check engine light issue which was revealing a code related to turbo when I would downshift hard--spiking up the rpms. As their are at least 6 codes for turbo/blow off valve, the dealer could not tell me which particular code it was. Dealer recommended and reprogrammed the engine for $185 with the statement that 9 out of 10 times it will resolve itself (I assume by making the thresholds limits more lenient). They quoted that if you needed a turbo replacement, it would be $4,000 (turbo itself is $2,700) Good luck..

Turbo going wouldn't be the worst thing... Would give me extra incentive to go bigger sooner! thanks for the input, I'm going to keep an eye on it, I'll order a new fuel cap as it's a cheap easy part I can scratch off the list of possibilities. Until I can get a code out of it I'm just throwing darts.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
You need a dealer level code scan to see if any historical or pending codes exist that other readers don't see. I scanned my car with three different readers and only the independent mechanics one showed all the codes I never saw. My gas cap went, but produced a code and the light stayed on.