R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 2014 MCS countryman all 4 plug change

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Chad Morin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 MCS countryman all 4 plug change

Long story short. I love this car. I have had it for 2 months. 1 of those months it was in the shop under a free 30 day warranty. I had a JB+ that threw codes. Yes, I can prove it.

The engines are exremly well made but are finicky in the air/fuel/ignition department. Probably because it is as well tuned as it can be coming out of the factory floor for its designed use, purpose, and cunsumer base.

Because the JB+ threw codes and caused rough acceleration it threw codes and went in to safe mode. Once I took off the JB+ they went away. They went away in the parking of the dealership lot 5 minutes before leaving it of course. It was Carmax.

They were here able to pull the codes and determined misfires were on cylinders 2 and 4 so they replaced this ignition coils. One I got it back, I installed a brand new JB + tuner thinking after reading all the great reviews I wrongly thought I had a defective JB. Misfires started the next day. I took it off, reset the ECU and its fine again.

I feel the plugs my need replacing now at 50,000 and since I messed with the fuel/air mixture even though carmax said the plugs looked fine. Why would they volunteer they were bad and take the hit for those issues to or they may be fine.

Since I have two new coils and know BMW plugs can need early replacement, Infigured I would replace the other 2 coils and all the plugs just because, just because.

I went to the dealer and they quoted me $421.52 for two coils and 4 plugs.

When looking online I see prices for coils ranging from $39 - $130 each? What is the difference and why the wide range of prices? I hear Mini plugs are great so why change? Do they need a special plug socket or is a 12pt fine?

Any reason not to use OEM? Where can I get a good price? Tork specks would be helpful too.

Sent from my iPhone

Old 01-08-2017, 06:15 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
My general rule is to replace the plugs with the coils and always do them in sets of 4 as we are afraid of situations just like you have.
I replace the plugs every 40k no matter what as we find them burnt out all the time.
Plugs are easy to change but you will need the socket
https://www.waymotorworks.com/spark-...-r59-mini.html
Here are the plugs
https://www.waymotorworks.com/spark-...paceman-s.html

I would do them and test drive it. If you want to do the other two coils I wouldn't blame you
https://www.waymotorworks.com/direct...9-r60-r61.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-09-2017, 09:02 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
ill chime in on plugs, youll need a thinwall 12 pt 14mm socket. normal wall if it goes in, will get stuck!

as for coils I believe I got some for my GF and her r56 on rockauto for a much better price than OEM, she has done 20k miles so far and no issues

Old 01-12-2017, 09:49 AM
Nine Plan Failed
2nd Gear
I started experiencing infrequent misfire just before 50k miles. Not feeling like paying the dealer's labor fees to replace plugs I picked some up at the parts store. Only takes about 10 minutes to change them all out. Only problem was they were not the correct plugs. They gave me Iridium plugs instead of Platinum. I ended up with more misfires, but only under heavy acceleration. So, I ended up ordering the correct ones on Amazon and put them in. Incredibly easy to do, you will need a thin wall socket. Just make sure to get the correct plugs. Did not need to replace coils and as far as I know they should not need periodic replacement. Even after buying the unnecessary set of plugs and the thin wall socket I came in cheaper than letting the dealer do it.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:31 AM
Chad Morin
2nd Gear
Are these not the same plugs? Amazon says they fit and research suggests these are OEM just sold via mini. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Less than $15 per plug seems in line with quality etc. Since plugs are such a critical part of your engine saving a few bucks for an inferior product doesn't sound that appealing.

Since I have new OEM coils (I think) from Carmax in my engine I might as well replace the other two. Why do the coils run from as cheap as $22.00 to as much as $60 each? Who makes the OEM ones? Bosch is a good brand from what I understand. Then I read on this forum something abut cooper being in one of the manufacturers coils and that is the best. All so confusing. I also read varying reports as to the ft/lbs of torque needed for these plugs. One source says 12 another "Mini Mania" say 17. Do we know the official OEM call on this?

Dielectric grease and anti-seize still a must on new engine these days? I've only replaced plugs on an old 350 and the mantra at the time was to use them as well.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:46 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I stick with OEM on electronic components in MINI, no grease, etc on threads for me.