R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 New '12 R60s All4 Owner!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 07:14 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
New '12 R60s All4 Owner!

Hey all,

Just purchased a '12 CMS All4 with 88k for a very good price, couldn't pass it up. Been lurking for a few days trying to find answers but have a few I couldn't find. Would be much appreciated if someone could help.

First, besides tracking miles, will I get a notification from the vehicle if it's due for an oil change? If so, can I reset it myself? Also, there only seems to be a trip A and no "B". Is this true or am I not navigating the display correctly?

From what I've read, I should probably order myself a timing chain tensioner? They don't seem to fail suddenly but should probably be replaced promptly when you hear it failing.

I've come across that the 6spd trans and rear diff are both lifetime fluids, is this true?

And finally, is there a service manual for the R60 yet? I see there is the Bentley but that isn't R60 specific. I would really like to know recommended maintenance schedules as I am out of warranty and will be doing all repairs myself.

If anyone can think of some regular maintenance I should perform please let me know. I have plugs (I have purchased the bi-hex socket) on the list as well as an oil change for this coming weekend. I've already installed a K&N air filter.

Some upgrades-

Looking a little ahead, in about a month or two when I feel I've worked out any issues that might pop up, I plan on installing a JB+, larger intercooler with upgraded piping (this car will be driven in moderate New Jersey traffic and just want to keep things cool during our hot summers) and exhaust.

Is the stock downpipe adequate if I add one of the bolt on cat back or DP back systems offered by one of the popular vendors? I've seen there is some sort of pipe delete I can do that should help with flow and keep emissions?

Sorry for the long post but just wanted to give a complete picture of my plans and I am open to suggestions! If stock intercooler, exhaust or DP is adequate for the JB+ and an intake please let me know! Don't need to spend $$$ for no reason

Old 12-28-2016, 09:55 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Ok so scratch the oil change question, just found the "hidden" service area in the dash. Does anyone know what the car on the lift service is? I figured the oil and brakes.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:50 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
400 views and not one response? Someone please help

Old 12-30-2016, 07:12 AM
Rich Rodichok
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/mini-...-meanings.html

found this. Can't vouch for any of the info here, but the car on a lift symbol is explained in detail. Hope this helps. Welcome to the wonderful world of MINI.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:43 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Thanks Rich,

It seems that page has listings for errors or faults, I'm trying to find out what that symbol means in terms of scheduled maintenance. Thanks again

Old 12-30-2016, 02:37 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
The car on a lift symbol isnt there as a scheduled maintenance reminder. That info is in your manual. I think what its telling you is that its too late for scheduled maintenance to fix whatever issue you are having. It now needs to be read by a MINI code reader to determine exactly what the problem is.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:29 PM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I wouldn't recommend going with a JB+, just go for a legit tune. Ask MarioKart on this forum if that's something you want to do. Your car would thank you if it could talk.

Intercooler isnt going to help ton in stop and go traffic. It'll suffer from heat soak regardless. But, an IC is always a great upgrade regardless. Now, if you added a meth injection kit, that could definitely help in traffic and on the open roads.

Adding just a cat-back exhaust wont help much. Maybe maybe slight increase in response, but your downpipe is where the restriction is. All US turbo cars have super restrictive downpipes, so any upgrade will help. To actually benefit from it, you'll need to tune. Although, without a tune you will still have better response and decrease the back pressure caused by the cats and smaller radius pipes. You can go with a high flowing cat, or a catless downpipe. I personally run catless, cant get better flow that than that unless you run a 3" catless DP.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:24 PM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mikey_t
The car on a lift symbol isnt there as a scheduled maintenance reminder. That info is in your manual. I think what its telling you is that its too late for scheduled maintenance to fix whatever issue you are having. It now needs to be read by a MINI code reader to determine exactly what the problem is.
thanks mikey! Not sure it's loo late for a service as it's accompanied by a date that's a few years in the future. I'm trying to attach the picture, let me know what you think

Old 12-30-2016, 05:35 PM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by AWD_Rally
I wouldn't recommend going with a JB+, just go for a legit tune. Ask MarioKart on this forum if that's something you want to do. Your car would thank you if it could talk.

Intercooler isnt going to help ton in stop and go traffic. It'll suffer from heat soak regardless. But, an IC is always a great upgrade regardless. Now, if you added a meth injection kit, that could definitely help in traffic and on the open roads.

Adding just a cat-back exhaust wont help much. Maybe maybe slight increase in response, but your downpipe is where the restriction is. All US turbo cars have super restrictive downpipes, so any upgrade will help. To actually benefit from it, you'll need to tune. Although, without a tune you will still have better response and decrease the back pressure caused by the cats and smaller radius pipes. You can go with a high flowing cat, or a catless downpipe. I personally run catless, cant get better flow that than that unless you run a 3" catless DP.
Thanks AWD,

I'm assuming you are in a state that doesn't monitor emissions? In NJ I will have run a cat and probably a spacer to get by without a CEL. Thanks for all the suggestions, will have to consider the tune. I get the feeling that I need to go all in with the R60 in terms of upgrades to get any appreciable increases.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:47 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by cstrumol
Thanks AWD, I'm assuming you are in a state that doesn't monitor emissions? In NJ I will have run a cat and probably a spacer to get by without a CEL. Thanks for all the suggestions, will have to consider the tune. I get the feeling that I need to go all in with the R60 in terms of upgrades to get any appreciable increases.
AWD is in California, the tuning will code out the CEL. I had a customer in NY pass two days ago
Thanks
Mario

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 12-31-2016, 06:07 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
AWD is in California, the tuning will code out the CEL. I had a customer in NY pass two days ago
Thanks
Mario

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer
Well that is great news then, that changes a lot of my plans! Seems like I should do all supporting mods first then go for the tune. I'll have to find someone in the NY/NJ area. Thanks!

Old 01-01-2017, 09:41 PM
AWD_Rally

Thanks AWD,

I'm assuming you are in a state that doesn't monitor emissions? In NJ I will have run a cat and probably a spacer to get by without a CEL. Thanks for all the suggestions, will have to consider the tune. I get the feeling that I need to go all in with the R60 in terms of upgrades to get any appreciable increases.
I'm in California. No CELs, like MarioKart said. I have bigger turbo, intake, catless dp and catless 3" exhaust system. I kept my OE cats to switch out when that time comes. There's always a way to have fun.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:20 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
How loud is it with a 3" at highway speed? I do list of driving at 70mph and would not enjoy the drone

Old 01-02-2017, 12:21 PM
AWD_Rally

How loud is it with a 3" at highway speed? I do list of driving at 70mph and would not enjoy the drone
its not bad, I added a little sound deadening in the backseat and trunk area, helped a lot and easy to do.

It really all depends how you setup your muffers in your system. I went with a more minimalistic approach, straight-thru style mufflers. My system is about as free flowing as it gets.

In place of the second cat is a 2.5" section (to clear the ground and engine area), with a straight through 3" resonator.

it's 3" from the resonator back, then exits into dual 2.5" pipes. I can't find the picture right now, but each pipe has a straight-through race muffler. Those two mufflers really helped with cutting down sound, even though they're straight thru.

Sound Clips:
This was with the STOCK turbo.

This is with the bigger 47mm turbo.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:52 PM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
That's pretty awesome sound! I'll probably have to go with a more standard type muffler as I have to sometimes take this car for 4 hour drives. I see in the videos you've opted for a scan gauge. I was thinking the same as gauge kits are very expensive for this car and I can get 4 in 1 basically and not have to run any wires except to the OBD

Old 01-02-2017, 05:21 PM
NCbob
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its not bad, I added a little sound deadening in the backseat and trunk area, helped a lot and easy to do.

It really all depends how you setup your muffers in your system. I went with a more minimalistic approach, straight-thru style mufflers. My system is about as free flowing as it gets.

In place of the second cat is a 2.5" section (to clear the ground and engine area), with a straight through 3" resonator.

it's 3" from the resonator back, then exits into dual 2.5" pipes. I can't find the picture right now, but each pipe has a straight-through race muffler. Those two mufflers really helped with cutting down sound, even though they're straight thru.

Sound Clips:
This was with the STOCK turbo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K9am86Ms2E

This is with the bigger 47mm turbo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHDS...9upS9iw8Cbxe7y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEwz...9upS9iw8Cbxe7y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvBm...9upS9iw8Cbxe7y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B9uExGT9mk
Forge diverter valve or atmospheric? What all did you have to do to support the K04?

Old 01-03-2017, 10:28 AM
AWD_Rally

Originally Posted by NCbob
Forge diverter valve or atmospheric? What all did you have to do to support the K04?
It's the OEM diverter valve.

What I did:
Oil catch can
Turbo blanket
Bigger intercooler
IC pipe muffler delete
2.5" Catless downpipe (wrapped)
Custom catless exhaust system
Custom intake
Tune

Bare minimum to support it:
2.5" Catless DP
Bigger intercooler
Tune

My custom intake

Old 01-03-2017, 10:59 AM
NCbob
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice! I found your exhaust video on YouTube when I first got mine! I took it to my guy and said "I want this!". Still haven't got the exhaust work done yet but, i have the catless DP, Manic tune, forge IC and IC muffler delete from WMW. Any chance of getting a better look at your pipe work leading up to the pod filter?
It's the OEM diverter valve.

What I did:
Oil catch can
Turbo blanket
Bigger intercooler
IC pipe muffler delete
2.5" Catless downpipe (wrapped)
Custom catless exhaust system
Custom intake
Tune

Bare minimum to support it:
2.5" Catless DP
Bigger intercooler
Tune

My custom intake

Old 01-03-2017, 03:43 PM
AWD_Rally

Originally Posted by NCbob
Nice! I found your exhaust video on YouTube when I first got mine! I took it to my guy and said "I want this!". Still haven't got the exhaust work done yet but, i have the catless DP, Manic tune, forge IC and IC muffler delete from WMW. Any chance of getting a better look at your pipe work leading up to the pod filter?
Here you go.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:58 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I am looking at getting a CMS, or PMS, that intake setup looks like a pain haha. you didn't just want to run the filter over the manifold? I understand that you have a opening in the grill there, but it looks like a lot of work to get that piping right, granted I haven't been underhood of a CM yet

Old 01-09-2017, 11:23 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Do you get a water soak on the filter, That's really close to the front grille? Otherwise nice job on the Mods, really modified the CM. Not too many people do that.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-09-2017, 12:00 PM
AWD_Rally

Originally Posted by Saltysalt
I am looking at getting a CMS, or PMS, that intake setup looks like a pain haha. you didn't just want to run the filter over the manifold? I understand that you have a opening in the grill there, but it looks like a lot of work to get that piping right, granted I haven't been underhood of a CM yet
OE is over the manifold. There's a lot of heat in that area so I attempted this setup. Just had to figure out how I was going to route it, order the piping and a filter, then cut and fit. A box is next for a true cold air setup.

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Do you get a water soak on the filter, That's really close to the front grille? Otherwise nice job on the Mods, really modified the CM. Not too many people do that.
Thank you. Gotta clean up a few things, looks like a mess right now. I'm going to be relocating the battery to the rear somewhere, then relocating the coolant tank and OCC where the battery is right now.

So far it's been good with the socal rain recently. I put in a 3" hose to duct air from the front grill, but I pushed it under the filter so that air flows into that area, but the water doesn't directly hit the filter. The end goal for the intake is to create a box in that area so it's a true cold air intake.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:18 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Welcome. Ok, so work in progress. So in the testing phase. Yea as long as the water does not touch it on a Cali downpour it should be fine.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-10-2017, 01:09 PM
AWD_Rally

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Welcome. Ok, so work in progress. So in the testing phase. Yea as long as the water does not touch it on a Cali downpour it should be fine.
Oh yeah, a work in progress in deed. I have a few parts still sitting around that need to be installed, parts I need to get, parts I need to make... I'll be upgrading to a 50mm turbo soon (in the mail), so that's now on the table to take care of.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:20 PM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
cool beans, im wondering with that much larger of a turbo, when the spooling will start, cause when stock its around 1700?