R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Available performance mods for Countryman

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:18 PM
melc
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Available performance mods for Countryman

Hi All,

Brand you to this forum!!

I am in the midst of replacing one of my vehicles with a Mini Countryman S. I want to start doing my homework with the different performace mods available.

Can you tune the ECU through the OBD2 port using a flash device? If so, who are the recommened tuners. I prefer tuners that produce good power but still stay on the safe side. After all, the mini will be my daily driver.

With the increase power of the mods, is it recommended to get the AWD.

Thanks to all in advance.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:05 PM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you check out the mods section? https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...fications-358/

some have gotten a custom tune and seem happy with it.

Have fun!!

Old 08-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by melc
Hi All,

Brand you to this forum!!

I am in the midst of replacing one of my vehicles with a Mini Countryman S. I want to start doing my homework with the different performace mods available.

Can you tune the ECU through the OBD2 port using a flash device? If so, who are the recommened tuners. I prefer tuners that produce good power but still stay on the safe side. After all, the mini will be my daily driver.

With the increase power of the mods, is it recommended to get the AWD.

Thanks to all in advance.
I bought the regular "S" model instead of the "All4." If I could go back, I would definitely get the All4 instead. Many, many of the best performance mods are only available for the All4. This includes some of the best performance exhaust systems (Milltek, Scorpion) as well as suspension (KW v3 coilovers). I can't think of a single mod that is ONLY available to the FWD version.

Bottom line: If you are looking to improve access to aftermarket performance parts, you'd be foolish not to go with the All4.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:04 PM
sbdubya
3rd Gear
I've had no issues finding mods for my S.
Local muffler shop installed the Magnaflow exhaust with 4" tips paid about $300 (the ceramic coated tips added about $80). Still half the price of advertised units and still the same parts and performance.
CAI's are the same although I opted for the aFe dry filter. Sprint Booster and or Race Chip Pro work on either. So other than the shocks or a lift kit really don't see the need for an ALL4 unless you need the 4wd from time to time.
As for an S only mod how about the lowering springs?
To tell the truth I really wanted the ALL4 in the begining but after looking at the driving conditions I encounter daily and when on trips I saw no need for the 4wd option.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:01 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
My favorite performance mods so far, in order of bang for buck:

1) NM Torque Arm Bushing - This makes the clutch feel 10x better

2) CravenSpeed Short Shifter - The stock shifter is ridiculously tall, like driving a semi. TyrolSport has a different type of short shifter hopefully coming out soon that should be a much easier install. I may add it to on to the CravenSpeed.

3) Exhaust - I have the NM exhaust, but from what I've heard the VIP or JCW are also good choices.

4) VIP Strut Bar - Helps a ton with body roll. I've heard rumors that the NM strut bar is coming out soon.

Mods I've done that haven't added much, in my opinion:

1) VIP Air Intake - It's cool hearing the turbo, but other than that, I don't think it really added anything. Defenders of Speed is working on a true CAI that may be better. I talked to someone from DoS at MINIs in the Mountains a few weeks ago, and he said it was coming along very slowly. He said it will probably be like the current R56 non-S intake vs the R56S intake due to how the engine compartment is laid out.

2) Oxspeed stiffer BOV spring - Some have noticed a difference with the stiff spring, but I couldn't tell. It's possible that I would have noticed if it was my first mod, but I already had a bunch of mods on the car already.

Things in my future:

1) Front-mount Intercooler - I'm planning to buy the Helix FMIC sometime next year. Should help a lot.

2) Engine tune - It would be awesome if the Alta AccessPort was released for the CM, but it doesn't sound like it's going to happen. Otherwise, I'm stuck mailing my ECU off somewhere to be tuned, which obviously isn't ideal. Since you're in CA, I'd recommend driving to NM and having it tuned. They in Cali somewhere.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chrunck
Defenders of Speed is working on a true CAI that may be better. I talked to someone from DoS at MINIs in the Mountains a few weeks ago, and he said it was coming along very slowly. He said it will probably be like the current R56 non-S intake vs the R56S intake due to how the engine compartment is laid out.
I have been following the "progress" of the DoS intake and comments like that one are very perplexing. How can they say the engine compartment is very different on the R60 versus the R56? If you put a picture of two 2012 engine bays side by side, I think a lot of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. At the very least, the difference cannot be significant enough to warrant a radical re-design. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the R60 doesn't have as much air flow to the cowls so it frustrates the effect of their through-the-firewall design. Not teeing off on you, chrunck, as you are just the messenger; I just find those comments odd.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 PM
eenunez1
3rd Gear
Add 1 more for the All4!

NM is located in Camarillo, near Port Hueneme where MINI's Port of Entry is in California. The NM ECU Tune wasn't ready 10 days ago when I visited with Jerry, but he is actively working it and as chrunck stated there are other tuners available. NM will also soon be releasing a rear way bar for the Countryman. Check the Cooper S Drivetrain forum for more on performance mods for the Countryman.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:43 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Hujan
I have been following the "progress" of the DoS intake and comments like that one are very perplexing. How can they say the engine compartment is very different on the R60 versus the R56? If you put a picture of two 2012 engine bays side by side, I think a lot of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. At the very least, the difference cannot be significant enough to warrant a radical re-design. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the R60 doesn't have as much air flow to the cowls so it frustrates the effect of their through-the-firewall design. Not teeing off on you, chrunck, as you are just the messenger; I just find those comments odd.

I asked that very question, but I don't think he answered it directly (or my memory is letting me down).

What I do remember him saying was that they were planning to get away from the current design because of the cost and switch to 1 design to fit all models (don't know if there would still be an S vs non-S difference). He said sourcing the filters would be easier with a redesign.

Edit: also, the NM tune still isn't ready? I thought someone on here had already gotten it, but I guess not.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:08 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Again on the DoS air intake: I just went out and compared our Clubman and Countryman, and yeah, I don't get it either. The Countryman looked like it had more space behind the cowl, and roughly the same size air vent.

At MINIs in the Mountains, I know I saw a Justa (don't remember if it was R50 or R56) with a DoS intake, but I don't see it on their site. It was enclosed and didn't punch through the fire wall. Edit: Found this post from Clint in another thread that explains why I can't find it on their site. He posted this in Feb 2012:
Originally Posted by Clint at DoS
We've only released one of the DoS R56 Justa intakes into the wild. We're aiming to have them on the market by early summer.

Last edited by chrunck; 08-20-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:16 PM
melc
Neutral
Thanks for all the tips...from what I see, this is a great Mini forum. If everything works out with the CM, I will definitely sign up for membership.

NM is about 90 miles from where I live. I will definitely be contacting them in the near future.

Cheers!

Old 08-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Hujan

I asked that very question, but I don't think he answered it directly (or my memory is letting me down).

What I do remember him saying was that they were planning to get away from the current design because of the cost and switch to 1 design to fit all models (don't know if there would still be an S vs non-S difference). He said sourcing the filters would be easier with a redesign.

Edit: also, the NM tune still isn't ready? I thought someone on here had already gotten it, but I guess not.
Again on the DoS air intake: I just went out and compared our Clubman and Countryman, and yeah, I don't get it either. The Countryman looked like it had more space behind the cowl, and roughly the same size air vent.

At MINIs in the Mountains, I know I saw a Justa (don't remember if it was R50 or R56) with a DoS intake, but I don't see it on their site. It was enclosed and didn't punch through the fire wall. Edit: Found this post from Clint in another thread that explains why I can't find it on their site. He posted this in Feb 2012:
There is A LOT of contour to the Countryman bulkhead panel that the R56-thru-R59 models do not have. That's why the original DoS CAI is not plug and play on the R60.

Trust me, Hujan. It's not the simple problem that you're making it out to be.

Anyhow, the R60 CAI development "progress" is still in motion and owners will appreciate what we've cooked-up.

-Clint

Old 08-21-2012, 05:13 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Thanks for chiming in, Clint! I'm very interested to see what you come up with and whether it's better than the open air intake I have now.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:35 PM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
There is A LOT of contour to the Countryman bulkhead panel that the R56-thru-R59 models do not have. That's why the original DoS CAI is not plug and play on the R60.

Anyhow, the R60 CAI development "progress" is still in motion and owners will appreciate what we've cooked-up.

-Clint
Hey Clint, Let me know if you need a test fit

Old 08-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon

-Clint
Thanks for clearing that up, Clint. I felt around the back of the engine bay today after reding your post, and you're right, there is a lot of contour there from top to bottom. Pictures don't do the difference justice in regard to the contour. I apologize for underestimating the scope of your task. In fact, there is so much going on back there that I'm not sure how you'd get through it. I'm sure you'll figure something out, though!

Old 01-21-2017, 06:30 PM
slaney
1st Gear
My 2013 Countryman Cooper S mods so far:
1. VIP strut brace - definitely noticed a difference although it still rolls more than I'd like (not the braces fault). Seems to really tighten up the front end and make steer in more precise and controllable.
2. VIP sway bar, set to second position. Huge difference although it still tends to bounce on the highway and over bumps at speed. Too much bounce and slow recovery. Cornering is way improved.
3. K&N typhoon intake. Don't know that I feel any seat of the pants gain but I do love hearing the turbo blow off! No mileage increase either. Looks cooler than the stock airbox.

Coming up:
Due to the crappy roads in Houston, need new struts in the rear at 56k miles, SO... just took delivery of a full new suspension from Megan Racing (MR-CDK-MCC11 Euro Street Coilovers), including new camber plates, adjustable lower control arms, etc. Basically wholesale ripping out of the original equipment suspension. I've read some really good things and will post a review after a few months...
I haven't taken the plunge with any engine mods and honestly will probably get a new car rather than heading that way. The BMW M2 is looking mighty fine...

It's been a decent ride so far being in the Mini world. I had a 2007 Hardtop Cooper S that was awesome until 82k miles when everything started to fall apart. Wasn't impressed after the third timing chain replacement and a final $5200 repair bill all in one month. Traded it for the Countryman for a warranty...

Holy Hell Batman!!! My 2013 Countryman is a totally different car with a new suspension...this thing is a beast now, I dare say it handles better than my 2007 hardtop S. If anything it feels underpowered now. Stays flat as a board through corners, hard cornering and the ride is MUCH more compliant and less brutal than the OEM coilovers....HIGHLY RECOMMEND!! Hats off to Megan Racing for designing a truly satisfying driving experience. Today's European Cars and Excel Motorsports in Houston, TX did a fantastic job of installing and adjusting the ride. Ultimately only lowered the vehicle 3/4" all the way around and it is perfect. Doesn't have that "slammed" look and feels just right. Combine this with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports NON-run flats in a 235/18 size and I'm thrilled. I'll be keeping this puppy for a few more years, especially now that they've gone and turned the Countryman into a bloated pig.

Last edited by slaney; 02-07-2017 at 02:24 PM. Reason: update on new suspension...