R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Rear Bumper Guard

Old 10-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear Bumper Guard

For all of you who were/are following this saga (details here), the bumper guards finally shipped. These are the first pics of the dry fit. Quality is good and design is well thought out. I'm gosh darn happy, even considering the 5 month wait. Vendor told us from the start it would take awhile and updated us when asked, no complaints with them.

I'll do the permanent install this weekend. (Tape on the sides and edge.)

Attached Thumbnails Rear Bumper Guard-detail.jpg   Rear Bumper Guard-open.jpg   Rear Bumper Guard-closed.jpg  
Old 10-20-2011, 03:36 PM
hoppes-no9
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great (and for $90 it oughta!).

I put in my order a week ago and was told they were in-stock and ready to ship, just got the UPS shipment notification today.

Should arrive about the same time as my CM.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:23 PM
WMW
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE=hoppes-no9;3382237]Looks great (and for $90 it oughta!).

I put in my order a week ago and was told they were in-stock and ready to ship, just got the UPS shipment notification today.

You placed your order with New German correct?
I ordered mine on 8/29 and then requested an update 3 weeks ago(they said it would be 2 more weeks) and I still do not have it!

Zaftig - it looks great!

Old 10-20-2011, 05:13 PM
hoppes-no9
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by WMW
You placed your order with New German correct?
I ordered mine on 8/29 and then requested an update 3 weeks ago(they said it would be 2 more weeks) and I still do not have it!

Yes, order placed with New German 10/14 and got the UPS shipping notice today.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hoppes-no9
Hopefully, they ordered a couple of extras. That would explain the short turn around. On the other hand, they may be terminally disorganized and are filling orders bass-ackwards.

Sealy - Who's glad he got his.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
where'd you get the license plate frame?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mojito
where'd you get the license plate frame?
Here.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:07 PM
WMW
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Spoke to soon....

Arrived this evening........UPS came late.......

Old 10-20-2011, 08:47 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Sealy
Hopefully, they ordered a couple of extras. That would explain the short turn around. On the other hand, they may be terminally disorganized and are filling orders bass-ackwards.

Sealy - Who's glad he got his.
Hmmm - mine is due in next week, according to UPS. Thanks for the photos, Sealy, it looks really good in place. Now my spouse wants one for her Prius!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:15 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Great find Sealy! does the hatch rub it any? it must be real thin to have 2 sided tape on back. it looks like it even wraps around the back edge of the bumper a little, real nice. was it easy to install? i missed your initial post on this product, but its much more durable than a clear vinyl sticker . mini should have done this in the first place. it looks real good on your countryman.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:41 AM
haji3
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who didn't follow the thread, here is the link to New German
http://www.ngpracing.com/store/index...tegory_id=1504

Old 10-21-2011, 03:53 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by countryman-s
Great find Sealy! does the hatch rub it any? it must be real thin to have 2 sided tape on back. it looks like it even wraps around the back edge of the bumper a little, real nice. was it easy to install? i missed your initial post on this product, but its much more durable than a clear vinyl sticker . mini should have done this in the first place. it looks real good on your countryman.
No rubbing. It's thin but seems durable. Hard, flexible plastic. Final install should be easy - one edge under the rubber seal and then press down. For some reason, MINI's parent company does not think these are necessary. We've had BMW wagons for years and none of them had guards available. MINI seems to be following suit.

Sealy - Who believes in using protection whenever possible

Old 10-21-2011, 08:13 AM
AnnArrogance
3rd Gear
Wow, looks great! I, too, am apparently one of the lucky few who came in late on this. I ordered mine last week and got a shipping notification yesterday. They must have ordered a few extras. I'm so glad to see that those of you who have waited so long for these are finally getting them! Honestly, after reading the original thread, I was prepared for a 2-3 month wait, but as my car doesn't even have a production date yet, I figured the timing would be about right.

Now I will have a bunch of Mini accessories waiting in my garage before my Mini even gets here! At least it'll come home for the first time to a bunch of presents--like a bumper guard, a Craven stubby antenna, some new GoBadges, a couple of decals, and a whole set of Prima care products! Gotta make my Mini feel loved from day 1!

Old 10-25-2011, 04:41 PM
tornado
3rd Gear
FYI...there's also the generic bumper guard from Canadian Tire at $41 CDN:

See the thread in the Interior/Exterior Mods forum.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:47 PM
AnnArrogance
3rd Gear
My bumper guard from New German arrived today! Now if only my CM would arrive...

Old 10-25-2011, 05:23 PM
bostonterrier
4th Gear
my two cents worth is to enjoy the mini countryman without the bumper guard since it will only protect (hide) what it covers. then after some time has passed or a couple of scratch marks...then add it. this may be blasphemy but my concern is door dings....any good looking door side molding made for the countryman?

Old 10-25-2011, 07:21 PM
AnnArrogance
3rd Gear
I probably will leave it off for a bit, but it's going to have to go on before the first time I let the dogs in the car! Our Pittie can do some serious damage with her nails, even when they're clipped! (Just ask my arm, ) But hopefully they won't need to be in the car for a little while--even in Texas, it'll be too cold for the dog park by then.

I do wish there was something for the doors as well... there's door molding on my current car, and I can't even tell you how many dings are in that thing! People just throw their doors open in parking lots with no regard as to what's around them.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Sardian
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AnnArrogance
I probably will leave it off for a bit, but it's going to have to go on before the first time I let the dogs in the car! Our Pittie can do some serious damage with her nails, even when they're clipped! (Just ask my arm, ) But hopefully they won't need to be in the car for a little while--even in Texas, it'll be too cold for the dog park by then.

I do wish there was something for the doors as well... there's door molding on my current car, and I can't even tell you how many dings are in that thing! People just throw their doors open in parking lots with no regard as to what's around them.
Although some dings are impossible to avoid, we park our cars as far out as we can to stay away from "door dingers". We don't mind walking, it may even be good for us I'll even park side-ways if there are plenty spaces available, and although I have never gotten a ticket it would be better than a door ding.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:38 AM
bostonterrier
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Sardian
Although some dings are impossible to avoid, we park our cars as far out as we can to stay away from "door dingers". We don't mind walking, it may even be good for us I'll even park side-ways if there are plenty spaces available, and although I have never gotten a ticket it would be better than a door ding.

i would never park sideways no matter how many spots are available....that gets some people very upset but parking a bit further away is a good idea. for our nissan rogue, i got some after market door molding - in the actual color of the car and they look like they belong with the car...i got this after someone whacked her car with what appeared to be a metal pickup truck....sadly lots of people just dont care about other peoples property

Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 AM
AnnArrogance
3rd Gear
I typically park in "No Man's Land" too, but unfortunately at school that's not an option. After about 9:30 am, you can drive through parking lots on campus for hours and never find an empty spot (they tore up two parking lots this year to build a garage, then sold MORE parking passes than last year, go figure). And unfortunately, law students and undergrads alike seem to be some of the worst door-ding offenders!

I suppose some of those black rubber door guard strips might help, but I don't think I could pass them off as racing stripes! I'd rather have something color-matched like bostonterrier found for his Rogue.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
I prefer to add protection before damage. If you ever take the cover off, it's OK undeneath. I've been seeing cars around DC with the big padded protector that hangs down (held in place with the trunk lid). I can't believe anyone thinks that's more attractive than a minor scratch.

As far a parking - not too long ago, I parked way out in the lot. Came back and all the spaces were still empty. Except the 3 right next to me (right, left, and in front) that were occupied by big SUVs and a van.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:00 AM
ghamma
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Sealy
I prefer to add protection before damage. If you ever take the cover off, it's OK undeneath. I've been seeing cars around DC with the big padded protector that hangs down (held in place with the trunk lid). I can't believe anyone thinks that's more attractive than a minor scratch.
My Bumper Guard arrived yesterday, so, after I get all the dirt from the weekend thrashing off Fenton, he'll get some well-needed protection at the hatch, too. Thanks for the great photos

Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 AM
napolean2424
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tornado
FYI...there's also the generic bumper guard from Canadian Tire at $41 CDN:

See the thread in the Interior/Exterior Mods forum.
I really like the ribbing on the guard, but the only negative is the arc of the rubber at the outer edge is off. Otherwise looks great.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:39 AM
smcphc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hoppes-no9
It looks like they may have some in stock now. I ordered one yesterday morning, got the shipping notice later that afternoon.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:39 PM
threar
4th Gear
Just got mine at the door today. Ordered it 6 days ago, so quite a nice turn around. Now to clean the car a bit and get it installed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R60 Rear Bumper Guard