R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 I want a freaking back-up camera!

Old 05-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Ryanzak
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want a freaking back-up camera!

Just sayin', for $42k this damn thing should have a swanky camera. Freaking crap VW has them.. ARGH!!! only complaint, other than the clutch.. which I am dealing with. :-)

Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really, I mean the car is a compact, a back up camera is excessive, hell even parktronic is excessive in this car.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
$42k!?!?!?!

Old 05-17-2011, 06:39 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JudgeS
Really, I mean the car is a compact, a back up camera is excessive
Not convinced. I was surprised how poor the rear visibility is in the Countryman. The rear windows are very short, there's too much metal at the back of the car, limiting view lower down, at the back.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:03 PM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
$42k!?!?!?!
Seriously. Even when I made my wishlist car in the configurator, it didn't come out at that. Maybe the OP is including all the extended warranties he bought?

And as far as a backup camera, I kind of don't see the need. It's a teeny car with decent visibility in the side mirrors. Even the parking assist seems like overkill.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:19 PM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey, to each his own. Kinda like bluetooth handsfree. I mean I can hold a phone to my ear but I prefer to use hands free.

Or it could be like me, they have had to have their neck fused with metal plates and artificial discs and that can seriously limit range of motion.

Even though the car is small it does have blind spots.

A lot of head units with NAV have inputs which can receive a remote camera. It might be able to be done with a add-on.

just sayin..........

Old 05-17-2011, 07:41 PM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 05r50
Or it could be like me, they have had to have their neck fused with metal plates and artificial discs and that can seriously limit range of motion.
Very true. I learned on large vans with trailers a long time ago to navigate almost entirely with side mirrors, so that's my habit, but I do turn around sometimes to check distance, and I can imagine how helpful a backup camera would be if that were uncomfortable or impossible.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:11 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
$42k!?!?!?!
$42k is very possible if he got every option, after destination and T&T, I left out a number of options and was at $35k when all was said and done.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Ryanzak
2nd Gear
I have everything shy of park distance control. its possible. no warranties were added. For how techie this car is, its something I think could have easily been added and was left out.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Ryanzak
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 05r50
Hey, to each his own. Kinda like bluetooth handsfree. I mean I can hold a phone to my ear but I prefer to use hands free.

Even though the car is small it does have blind spots.

A lot of head units with NAV have inputs which can receive a remote camera. It might be able to be done with a add-on.

just sayin..........
Exactly! And for the record, my other car is a Z3, no blindspots when top is down.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Ryanzak
2nd Gear
wait... taxes took it to 42.. just shy of 40.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:28 AM
docfink
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ryanzak
Just sayin', for $42k this damn thing should have a swanky camera. Freaking crap VW has them.. ARGH!!! only complaint, other than the clutch.. which I am dealing with. :-)
I gotta agree with you. The pictogram is okay, but the camera in my wife's Highlander is more trustworthy.

Only $42K?? You done well! I won't tell you what mine cost...

Old 05-18-2011, 05:00 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Now that I think about it, $42 isn't unreasonable at all if you include all taxes and fees and warranties.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:06 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want a freaking back-up camera!
Take your pick . . .

http://www.tadibrothers.com/Products...ucts/RVSystems

I agree, however. They could have stuck it in the gosh darn navigation/connect/armrest package with no problem. I also want the passenger side mirror to dip in reverse so my antrhacite wheels don't become a nasty two-toned mess.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:17 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sealy
I also want the passenger side mirror to dip in reverse so my antrhacite wheels don't become a nasty two-toned mess.
+100 on that, best feature I ever had on a car (yes overstated), but it is more useful than parktronic or a back-up camera in street parking situations.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:27 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JudgeS
+100 on that, best feature I ever had on a car (yes overstated), but it is more useful than parktronic or a back-up camera in street parking situations.
You can buy an after-market dipper - but it requires cutting wires to install. Something I'm not quite ready to do.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:28 AM
ViperX35
1st Gear
$42k!?!?!?!
You americans are lucky to have such a low price on cars... have been on holyday in Florida sevral times and one thing that always surplices me is the car prices.

Here in Norway my Countryman Cooper S All4 had a price of approximately 106 000 USD, yes you read right, 106 000 USD... (Converted from NOK)

On the question on backup-camera I´ll agree that its a bit overkill.
My last car was a Volvo V70 and that did also only had parking sensors, and I newer had any problems whit parking it.
... well that at least my opinion

Old 05-18-2011, 08:30 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have everything shy of park distance control. its possible. no warranties were added. For how techie this car is, its something I think could have easily been added and was left out.
So wait...you got everything but the backup help available and are complaining about the rear's lack of camera for help in backing up? Am I the only one that sees the irony here.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:19 AM
KiwiRob
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ViperX35

Here in Norway my Countryman Cooper S All4 had a price of approximately 106 000 USD, yes you read right, 106 000 USD... (Converted from NOK)
That's why I didn't buy a CM Cooper S, my Cooper D stopped the clock at 64,000 USD. Makes me sad that the Norwegian taxpayers are ****ing timid bastards and follow whatever the propaganda the govt feeds them, Norwegians are like sheep being led to slaughter.

Originally Posted by ViperX35
On the question on backup-camera I´ll agree that its a bit overkill.
My last car was a Volvo V70 and that did also only had parking sensors, and I newer had any problems whit parking it.
... well that at least my opinion
Mine to, my wife's car is a 2010 V70, she has no problems with parking either.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:45 PM
CAMOTOY
1st Gear
wow, i just learn the edges of my car and dont worry about it. i think people are getting to lazy about there cars. people want all these damn things, park assist, rear view cameras bla bla. give me a car with HP, a good seat and good handling

Old 05-18-2011, 03:54 PM
iconoclast6
2nd Gear
I agree that the use of the passenger side mirror...and moving it down helps with backing up...and I having the parking assist in the Countryman. The difference it seems, is that compared to my 08 MCS, the passenger side mirror placement doesn't provide as much visibility. I notice I don't get as much up/down movement as the drivers side mirror.

So far, it hasn't really been a problem... but it just takes a little longer to park.

Mostly, I'm looking forward to the rain easing up here in NYC so I can put more forward motion in gear...

Old 05-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Malice Cooper
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by CAMOTOY
wow, i just learn the edges of my car and dont worry about it. i think people are getting to lazy about there cars. people want all these damn things, park assist, rear view cameras bla bla. give me a car with HP, a good seat and good handling
Agreed. Why on earth would you need a camera in a MINI? I couldn't imagine an easier car to park.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:25 PM
itsmeagain
1st Gear
You may just have to wait a year or two

http://wot.motortrend.com/nhtsa-prop...2014-9924.html

Old 05-19-2011, 03:57 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Malice Cooper
Agreed. Why on earth would you need a camera in a MINI? I couldn't imagine an easier car to park.
Jeeze, Louise! Y'all need to lighten up and get a grip. Did it ever occur to anyone that parking conditions are different by location? You may have it easy in your (relatively) small town, but on the mean streets of the big city, things are different. If your area is known for high curbs, trash and garbage on the apron, a fondness for huge vehicles, tight parallel parking, cramped parking garages, deteriorated road surface, ect, ect, - - - well, you need all the help you can get. People who say they want a camera aren't any less of a MINI driver, they just want the tools that can assist in keeping their MINI safe and happy.

Sealy - Who's giving up the soap box now.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:12 AM
iconoclast6
2nd Gear
Well handled and well said Mr. Sealy. As a NYC driver, I concur.
Suffice to say as well, when all is said and done, many of us still
would not give up the overall pleasures of Mini ownership, despite our
desire for Mini to address various issues that keep
The Countryman from perfection.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R60 I want a freaking back-up camera!