R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Now that the Roadster has been officially killed off...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Luka822
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that the Roadster has been officially killed off...

I'm curious as to what fellow members plan to do - keep their cars in hopes it's a collectible (and because it's such a fun car of course!) or sadly say good bye in a few years. I know I'm disappointed to know that when Bugaboo has seen better days I won't be able to replace her with a new one. Having said that, my husband just traded his older Mini in for a F56 and I have to say, the changes they've made are pretty dang good.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:04 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe I missed something, but was there some kind of official announcement from MINi on the demise of the Roadster?

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 11-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Luka822
1st Gear
Old 11-25-2014, 09:10 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
"...The previous MINI architecture and the new MINI architecture will coexist for some more time, until we have renewed the entire MINI family. We can at this point in time not confirm that the MINI Roadster or MINI Coupé will be discontinued.”

http://www.motoringfile.com/2014/11/...-coupe-demise/

Old 11-26-2014, 03:45 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Any one who likes or wants a neat handling two seat roadster can always check out the Miata.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:36 AM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by whaap
Any one who likes or wants a neat handling two seat roadster can always check out the Miata.
Never.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:09 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Not, not, not official

Notice the double negative in that response from MINI, Motoring file did.

Big thanks to MINI for responding so quickly to the request for clarification. That said there’s clearly not an admission either way in the statement above. Does that mean the rumors are true? Or does that simply mean MINI is still deciding the twins fate?

Old 11-26-2014, 08:04 AM
Luka822
1st Gear
I suspect the Mini exec that said this wasn't authorized to do so but that it's ultimately true

Old 11-26-2014, 01:22 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
I love my roadster and would buy another when the time comes. We'll see if that ever happens.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:02 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm hanging on to mine for as long as I can. Maybe I'll trade it for a GP3 when such a thing exists!

Old 11-27-2014, 08:07 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jkapinos
Never.
Only one of two types of people would make a comment like that. One would be the person that never drove one and the other would be the person more concerned about how they looked than how their car handled.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:15 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
On the other hand, Miatas of the past had limited room for tall drivers. Has it changed?

Old 11-27-2014, 08:37 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by whaap
I haven't seen any consumer crossover activity in last 4 years between Miata owners to a MINI or visa versa...It's apples and oranges when comparing Asian car market to European so hasn't anything really to do with one who has or hasn't driven one. It's probably more to do with personal preference...

Old 11-27-2014, 03:18 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
I know that a Miata is a good car. I just would never own one. I'll probaly buy an electric sports car next if a roadster doesn't exist.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:43 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like it's still a waiting game on this issue.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:18 AM
MINI #1
4th Gear
Probably in a couple years, my Roadster will be traded in for...Lotus Elise or BMW Z2

Old 12-03-2014, 12:11 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I'll never understand how low sales on these MINI versions should equate to stop manufacturing the car considering they are not the driving force of the product development.

I think their is something changing in the mind of "Corporate" over the life of a model. They know what to expect initially. They understand the numbers and know the investment on such car isn't has costly as the base platform since its a derivative. They know they won't need to invest as much since most of it is still recycled from the base model which had to produce proportional returns regardless of these niche models.

But then, what I think happens a few years later, as human being always have short term memory they see these Roadster has any other product in the line and get frustrated by low sales, forgetting they didn't cost as much to develop as their bread and butter models.
It's not as if they are relying on these types of car to drive sales for the brand. These roadster are end of line development of the series. Most of it, except for what makes them specific to that model, has already been developed. And I think BMW had made enough money on them that it was not a bad product to sale and probably would make some money for a while over not having them at all.

Personally I think they should just keep manufacturing them until the whole line of pre-existing model is being significantly replaced that it is no longer cost effective to run them on the assembly line... and perhaps that's what is happening . . . but I can't help feel it's a bit early and that the brand gets influenced by the media, and since the new hardtop as just started to sale and many other model relying on the old platform are still being produced. I don't think removing the roadster model off the line to leave nothing in its place is going to save BMW a tone of money. It would have been better for the consumer psyche to stop manufacturing those models when finally the more popular ones are being replaced. Both Roadster and Coupe should be at the bottom of the priority of the yearly keep or kill list, just as they are at the bottom of the model development list. That would make more sense to me.

But what do I know about BMW business, they seem to be doing well so they must have valid financial reasons . . .

I tell you what BMW, make us a convertible/roadster hybrid (make the rear seats an occasional use when otherwise it behaves and functions like a roadster) and I might be interested. But otherwise I will greatly miss the MINI roadster in the line. I don't have a lot of interest in the regular convertible where rear seats are used primarily for stuff and trunk space dramatically impaired... not even mentioning a roadster makes driving with an open top so much more pleasant and lively.

Last edited by TG.; 12-03-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:41 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
I'd like to see something replace the Roadster and Z4.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:15 PM
TG.
6th Gear
The Z4 is sadly out of our price range and the Miata feels cheap and cramped. Both aren't has travel friendly... I wonder if BMW MINI doesn't like that middle spot it has?... It's perfect for us but maybe doesn't have the popular appeal.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Audiophile_Mark
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TG.
The Z4 is sadly out of our price range and the Miata feels cheap and cramped. Both aren't has travel friendly... I wonder if BMW MINI doesn't like that middle spot it has?... It's perfect for us but maybe doesn't have the popular appeal.
Well said. I was looking for a roadster that had exceptional handling, premium/luxury fit and finish, and reached 60mph in ~6 seconds or less, and cost < $40k. I was left with the R59 or a used Boxster.

If you look at the Z2 data from BMW it is a R59 version 2.0. With that in mind, you can see their reasoning for only wanting to build one roadster, when the current model would be so similar.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:20 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Audiophile_Mark
If you look at the Z2 data from BMW it is a R59 version 2.0. With that in mind, you can see their reasoning for only wanting to build one roadster, when the current model would be so similar.
Yes, possibly . . . though I have to say that Z2 isn't a beauty. Kind of asian design want-to-be. I'll pass on that big time. No thank you.

But I'm not convinced it has anything to do with what BMW does. I think it has a lot more to do with MINI trying to be profitable again and not having a lot of time or resources to focus its effort outside of the bread and butter models. The sad part is that even if they will entertain another Roadster in the future it won't happen for many years and that will leave a big gap of time without one. Hence why I think it would have been nice for MINI customers who enjoy the roadster, not to turn the page so quickly

But if indeed it is related why in the world does BMW want an other Z roaster. They're a premium brand for crying out loud. They should stick to their premium stuff and let MINI have the fun as it seems to me MINI against Miata is a much better competition than BMW against Miata. That makes no sense... :p

Last edited by TG.; 12-03-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:53 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Having read up some on the 2017 BMW Z2, I have to agree it is probable the Roadster is dead, or maybe not.

The Z2 is front wheel drive car built on the MINI Gen3 platform, runs the same engine, and has the same $30k pricepoint as the Roadster.

It makes sense that BMW would only want to make one $30k convertible.

However as everything but the skin would be the same anyway, how hard would it be to make a MINI version?

But what about that $50k Z2 M ...

Old 12-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
Owner of a Miata and a Clubman

I bought a 2008 Clubman and a 2009 Miata within about 8 months of each other. Traded the Miata after 34 months. Still own the Clubman. Miata was a looker, but not very interesting to drive. Worse, unless you are shorter than 5'10" you would not want to be a passenger - very restricted leg room. Can't say that I miss it, but I do miss having a convertible, so I'm looking at a Mini Roadster before they disappear.

Last edited by Copywrites; 12-04-2014 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Title missing a word
Old 12-04-2014, 08:50 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Copywrites
very restricted leg room.
Exactly! We know because we sat in one at a car show before we got the MINI. We sat in the Roadster almost like ours and we spend a lot of time in it at the show.
My wife and I where sooo turned off by the lack of leg room on the passenger side with the Miata Perhaps the newer one will be better. Being lower to the ground is great too if it's not your primary car. But all the time is a bit tedious.

I respect Miata owners. Truly I do. It still is a fun car and comes with lots of pros.
But I found the MINI a lot more versatile and pleasant to drive all the time. Not mentioning it's a bit more refined and fun. So don't hesitate and get yourself a MINI roadster. And order it. It's worse the customization

Old 12-05-2014, 05:55 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Limited legroom in roadster too

My roadster has a 4" thick insert, passenger side, under the carpet.

At just under 6' tall this insert makes the passenger space a little cramped.

Any idea what it's for?

I'm tempted to just pull it out to get some more leg room.

Quick Reply: R59 Now that the Roadster has been officially killed off...