R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Let the Mod's begin

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Grizld700
I also installed my H-Sport RSB and Michelin PSS's this weekend!

Originally Posted by Grizld700
...Gil-galad in your shot of the suspension I see some clear plastic around the springs. Did these come with the Alpha springs, or did you add this yourself? Its a good idea either way considering our winters here (assuming you're an all season roadster), just curious so I know what to expect next year, when I do the springs and struts. I'm also very envious of the rear control arms. Drool...
That's the way they came out of the box from NM Eng. Quite frankly, I'm not sure what function it's supposed to serve.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:21 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Quite frankly, I'm not sure what function it's supposed to serve.
It's to avoid unpleasant squeaky sounds. Often when lowering a car they need to use variable coils in the spring design in order to keep the over all spring compression rate the same even though the spring is shorter so the car may carry roughly the same load range. In that process the first few coils are often closer to each other which may create unpleasant sounds. It's a plus they provide those directly on them. I haven't seen that yet! Usually it's a modification people add to their car after they notice squeaky sounds.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by TG.
It's to avoid unpleasant squeaky sounds. Often when lowering a car they need to use variable coils in the spring design in order to keep the over all spring compression rate the same even though the spring is shorter so the car may carry roughly the same load range. In that process the first few coils are often closer to each other which may create unpleasant sounds. It's a plus they provide those directly on them. I haven't seen that yet! Usually it's a modification people add to their car after they notice squeaky sounds.
Thanks for the explanation; I can see now how that might happen. I'm a big fan of eliminating any potential squeaking noise sources.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:56 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little late to the party but very nice Roadster! If I ever get a new one (maybe Gen 4 if they go back to looking good) I might look at a JCW one. :D

Thanks for the picture with the CarbonMINI stuff. I've been on the fence about some of their cabin items looking cheesy-ish but those look like they come together well. I like a lot of their products.

The wheel looks awesome! PM sent if you don't mind a couple of questions.

Keep up the good work & good luck with the mod bug!

Old 10-29-2014, 10:24 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the explanation; I can see now how that might happen. I'm a big fan of eliminating any potential squeaking noise sources.
I haven't thought about a cross brace for my roadster. I find that the handling, and I just have the sport suspension, with an added adjustable rear sway bar, does nicely. As a late VW GTI found out in the mountains of the Black Hills a couple of weeks ago. He bugged me by tail gating me, so I pored on the gas. Soon, he was several hundred yards behind. Olga go a kick out of that. Nothin extreme, just played into the curves.

By the way, we then went into Wyoming (boring) down into the Rockies. Yes, we had the top down. Beautiful!

Old 10-29-2014, 03:52 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I finally was able to complete installation of my aftermarket steering wheel today (my one big "Christmas present").

Sourced from Nexon Motors -

Old 10-30-2014, 04:29 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
Dear god, that wheel is so beautiful. I hear angels singing.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:47 AM
Gil-galad
Yeah, I'm still in love with it.

Gotta say though, I owe my inspiration to Steven and his second custom aftermarket install is pretty hard to top...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3940191

---

Old 12-11-2014, 09:49 AM
whoneyc2
1st Gear
Let the Mod's begin-01ac1b7bb1ab0a956541c18101379f3225765edab9.jpg
"Stella" - Yes, like the blonde from the Italian Job.
I have blacked out all the chrome except for beltline. DDM Race CAI with Hood Scoop. Forge BOV vent to atmosphere.
Let the Mod's begin-new-exhaust.jpg
Let the Mod's begin-exhaust-tips.jpg
Custom made 2.5" catback stainless steel exhaust with vibrant high flow ultra quiet muffler and 3" tips, 4 black magic hella 500 driving lights that I wired into existing switches so I can turn them on two at a time.
Let the Mod's begin-outside-driving-lights-on.jpg
Let the Mod's begin-driving-lights-without-covers.jpg
Plasti Dipped the Air Brake Ducts red. Stage 1 Manic Tune which increases turbo from 11psi to 20psi at max setting. Craven speed adjustable short shifter. Torque arm insert. Craven speed tow hook on rear bumper with "pull to inflate" sticker. Painted the S side scuttles black.
Let the Mod's begin-black-side-scuttle-installed.jpg

Thats all!.... for now

Last edited by whoneyc2; 12-11-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:01 AM
Gil-galad
Wow, you've been busy.

That thing must sound like a beast now.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:52 AM
whoneyc2
1st Gear
Video of It on the dyno this past Friday:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Dyno Run #1 - Blue Line is the old run, before intercooler, and tune. I also had the JB+ Tuner on it, so take about 10-15 bhp off the blue line, and thats what it was really at. Red Line - first run.

Dyno Run #2

Attached Thumbnails Let the Mod's begin-manic-tune-1rst-run_100-setting.jpg   Let the Mod's begin-manic-tune-2nd-run_100-setting.jpg  
Old 03-30-2015, 06:36 AM
Gil-galad
My springtime splurge this year...

---

Old 03-30-2015, 01:43 PM
TG.
6th Gear
I don't know whatI'm looking at... you had the whees already right? Is it the brakes or you already had them and got new tires?

If it's the brakes . . . which I think it is . . . how much?
I've eared that there is no difference between JCW and S with the rear brakes by the way. I don't know if that is true...

Old 03-30-2015, 01:52 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by TG.
I don't know whatI'm looking at... you had the whees already right? Is it the brakes or you already had them and got new tires?

If it's the brakes . . . which I think it is . . . how much?
I've eared that there is no difference between JCW and S with the rear brakes by the way. I don't know if that is true...
JCW Brembos on a Justa-Roadster. You're correct about the rears.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:01 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yep,

Before:

Awesome= JCW BBK. The rear are a larger rotor , better bias with the larger 4 post up front based of what I have seen. I really like mine. Stops on a dime. Did you get the Brake flash / ecu at the MINI dealership after install ?

JCW 4 Piston Sport Brake Kit Retrofit 34110432802

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/34110432802/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-30-2015, 02:09 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
JCW Brembos on a Justa-Roadster. You're correct about the rears.
I finally figured that out too. The JCW brakes that is. Looking at you wheel, so nice and shiny, makes me think that I ought to get my silver wheels out and mount some Summer tires on them. It seems like everyone is going to black wheels and now the standard JCW wheels are looking better. I have to put run flats back on before I turn it in on the end of lease anyway.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:53 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
...Did you get the Brake flash / ecu at the MINI dealership after install ?
Yes; and in fact it was the only curious part of the install. When the reflash process initiated the computer indicated that the update should complete in five days. Fortunately, after a couple of hours the clock updated and suddenly (and thankfully) there was only 30 minutes remaining.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:29 PM
Miata13
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Thanks for the interior photo Gil....I just last week placed the Cocomats order for style 51..the black/red dot mats you have. I think they'll look great on our CR R59....

Old 03-31-2015, 08:25 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Miata13
Thanks for the interior photo Gil....I just last week placed the Cocomats order for style 51..the black/red dot mats you have. I think they'll look great on our CR R59....
+1 on the coco mats. I've had them for 18 months, and IMO, they are one of the easiest ways to change the interior look.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 04-01-2015, 04:55 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by Miata13
+1

Just drove past the Baltimore VDC this morning...too bad I'm not out here for work next week, or I'd take a pic of your baby coming off the boat.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:06 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KennyR
+1 on the coco mats. I've had them for 18 months, and IMO, they are one of the easiest ways to change the interior look.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring
How are these mats for keeping clean or cleaning. I've used rubber mats for the past few years, the WestherTech covers.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:36 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hemisedan
How are these mats for keeping clean or cleaning. I've used rubber mats for the past few years, the WestherTech covers.
They're not intended for the kind of mess that a Weathertech liner can handle, but for routine use, they generally don't look as dirty as a Weathertech mat does. The dirt kind of goes between the cocomat fibers, and it cleans up fine with a stiff brush and vacuuming. I've done a quick rinse off with a hose, but wouldn't recommend you let them soak for along time. I would probably use a rubber mat for the winter if you drive where there is a lot of slush/road salt.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:05 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KennyR
They're not intended for the kind of mess that a Weathertech liner can handle, but for routine use, they generally don't look as dirty as a Weathertech mat does. The dirt kind of goes between the cocomat fibers, and it cleans up fine with a stiff brush and vacuuming. I've done a quick rinse off with a hose, but wouldn't recommend you let them soak for along time. I would probably use a rubber mat for the winter if you drive where there is a lot of slush/road salt.
Yup, for winter weather the rubber mats are a must imo
It not only helps with the snow, mud, slush, but it collects a lot more easily gravel and piece of rock salt you can easily dump out, one would not want to find its way through the carpet liner of the car

Old 04-04-2015, 01:50 PM
Miata13
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
+1

Just drove past the Baltimore VDC this morning...too bad I'm not out here for work next week, or I'd take a pic of your baby coming off the boat.
That would have been awesome Gil ....my ship's expected to arrive in Baltimore 2000 hrs 4/8....I'll try "re-finding it" on www.vesselfinder.com once it nears the East Coast.

Local dealer now has assigned it a stock number and it appears now in their "inventory" albeit it's a sold model to ME
http://www.miniofdesmoines.com/Vehic...-IA/2499545653

Old 04-06-2015, 06:31 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
+1

Now that's a MINI community

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Quick Reply: R59 Let the Mod's begin