Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 04:02 PM
sgrundw
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GEMSTER
Hitting the trunk button works for me.
I have CA, but no alarm system.

So maybe it has something to do with the alarm system?
Question: Is your boot lid "tight"? What I mean is, my boot lid does not swing open freely. In fact, I really have to pull it hard to open and close it. Maybe that's the problem?

Old 07-22-2012, 06:09 PM
GEMSTER
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, mine is tight too. Nowhere as easy to open/close as R56 hatch.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:37 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My boot lid is "tight" but if I manage to spin round three times and stand on one foot correctly it does "pop" when I can get the fob to work, so I don't think "tightness" is causing the fob to not work. It's a software issue, plain and simple.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:44 PM
alexroet
2nd Gear
Any updates here? is this a problem that can be fixed, or is it just a glaring design flaw?

Old 07-26-2012, 05:46 PM
dillo99
2nd Gear
Mine works with comfort access. I walk up, push the button on the trunk and it unlocks/opens.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:52 PM
alexroet
2nd Gear
Yes, my CA works.

it's the botton on the key fob remote that doesn't work. The OM says pushing the bottom should not just unlock the trunk, but actually pop it open.

I'm wondering if anyone has gotten it to do that (without having to lock/unlock all other doors and do some complicated key press routine)

Old 07-29-2012, 06:41 AM
nfo
6th Gear
For what it's worth.. my 2012 r59 S without comfort access opens the trunk with the doors locked. I just hold the trunk button for a few seconds and it opens. oh btw.. i don't have the factory alarm installed.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:06 AM
MUNGO
2nd Gear
Definitely a conflict with the alarm on the Coupe, don't have 2 Roadsters here to try but I imagine the results would be the same.

I did a quick test on 2 Coupe's.
One has the alarm the other does not. Car without alarm will pop the boot with the boot release button on the FOB. Car with alarm will not pop the boot when armed with the boot release on the FOB unless the driver's door is unlocked and the alarm is not armed.
On hard tops the boot release button on the FOB will pop the boot with the alarm armed. Very interesting. I'll run it up the flag pole to see what I can find out.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:06 AM
alexroet
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MUNGO
Definitely a conflict with the alarm on the Coupe, don't have 2 Roadsters here to try but I imagine the results would be the same.

I did a quick test on 2 Coupe's.
One has the alarm the other does not. Car without alarm will pop the boot with the boot release button on the FOB. Car with alarm will not pop the boot when armed with the boot release on the FOB unless the driver's door is unlocked and the alarm is not armed.
On hard tops the boot release button on the FOB will pop the boot with the alarm armed. Very interesting. I'll run it up the flag pole to see what I can find out.
When you say hard top you mean 'regular' cooper/s hatchbacks? (as opposed to coupe 'hardtop' vs roadster 'soft top')?

In any case, that seems to match what I found yesterday.
I do have an alarm.
If I hold down the fob button (the way OM says to), all that happens is eventually the alarm goes off.

If I unlock the doors (via key fob button) TWICE (even though it unlocks all doors with the first press), THEN push the trunk button, it WILL pop. (will not pop if I only unlock the doors once).

Oddly- it seems like I HAVE to unlock the door AND pop the trunk for it to open. Even if the doors are unlocked, if I go to open the trunk, it seems like it's still locked. Since I have CA, eventually it will open via the trunk lid, but it seems like it's CA unlocking it.

lol why is a silly little thing like this so complicated?!

and more confusion- here are some quotes I just found in the OM:

"In some market-specific versions, the tailgate cannot be unlocked using the remote control unless the vehicle is unlocked first"
Would be nice to know which markets that applies to.

and

"Even when the alarm system is armed, you can open the tailgate by means of the [trunk icon] button on the remote control. When you subsequently close the tailgate it is again locked and monitored

I thought of another experiment. I'm going to leave the remote inside, and unlock the doors with the little integrated key (i.e. make sure CA isn't a factor) and see if I can open the trunk if the doors are unlocked..

Old 07-30-2012, 11:55 AM
MUNGO
2nd Gear
I think it has something to do with the alarm and my be different due to some rediculous gov. regulation. I sent an email to HQ and they responed"Interesting, but actually makes sense" So I should here something back soon. Cheers!

BTW
Hard Top=2 door hatchback not a coupe or roadster

Last edited by MUNGO; 07-30-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:01 PM
alexroet
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MUNGO
I think it has something to do with the alarm and my be different due to some rediculous gov. regulation. I sent an email to HQ and they responed "[FONT=Times New Roman]Interesting, but actually makes sense[/FONT]" So I should here something back soon. Cheers!

BTW
Hard Top=2 door hatchback not a coupe or roadster
Whoa, how do you email HQ??!

Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 PM
MUNGO
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by alexroet
Whoa, how do you email HQ??!
Let's just say I have a conection!

I'm a MINI owner turned Motoring Advisor.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Shifty_Parrot
1st Gear
Originally Posted by alexroet
"In some market-specific versions, the tailgate cannot be unlocked using the remote control unless the vehicle is unlocked first"
Would be nice to know which markets that applies to.
Doesn't apply to Australia, I have tested mine and can open the trunk with the key fob regardless of whether the doors are locked or unlocked.

Annoyingly, if I pull over and want to get something from the boot I have to remember to unlock all doors using the toggle in the cockpit. Simply opening the driver door doesn't cut it. Before I realised this, I couldn't figure out how to do it other than pull over, turn the engine off, remove the key and press unlock THEN pop the trunk. This could be fixed by having all doors unlock when any door is opened rather than just unlocking that door. Although I could swear that was the case - will have to go check this!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:58 AM
alexroet
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Shifty_Parrot
This could be fixed by having all doors unlock when any door is opened rather than just unlocking that door. Although I could swear that was the case - will have to go check this!
That should be something you can set... at least, I could! Somewhere in my settings menu there was the choice to unlock all vs unlock driver's. that may fix it for you. Not sure if it requires mini connected to get to that menu though. I do have it- not sure if you can access it through menus in the tach if you don't.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Shifty_Parrot
1st Gear
I think I found the setting you're talking about - but it only sets what happens when you press unlock on the fob though: unlock drivers or unlock all.

I suppose this is no different than any other car: normally to open the trunk while ignition is on you pull a latch to pop it - in the mini you just flick the unlock toggle and open the trunk with the button.