R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 LORDVDR: The ALL4 R58 Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 06:19 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by LORDVDR

Current shots of what the Garrett GT28RS 53mm Turbo looks like inside. It hasn't been fully installed yet. Soon the intake alteration will happen, some new piping will be installed, and a turbo shield will be installed. I should have the car back probably by Middle or late next week.
Are you sure the engine internals will be able to handle this? You have the base S engine right?

Furthermore, If your pro shop has not been able to figure out this turbo set up would fit without expensive mods, I would be concerned.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:23 PM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dube53
Are you sure the engine internals will be able to handle this? You have the base S engine right?

Furthermore, If your pro shop has not been able to figure out this turbo set up would fit without expensive mods, I would be concerned.
the engine can handle the turbo. It is the N18 S Peugeot Engine. Thing is a tank. They have figured out the setup. Just waiting on the new piping, which should come tomorrow. They've been 100% upfront and honest with me. I'll be picking it up later on next week sometime.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:46 PM
Mini Chris
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the engine can handle the turbo. It is the N18 S Peugeot Engine. Thing is a tank. They have figured out the setup. Just waiting on the new piping, which should come tomorrow. They've been 100% upfront and honest with me. I'll be picking it up later on next week sometime.
Wish I had caught your engine mod update sooner. I don't know if you're aware of this project (the link drops you in with the part numbers)...
http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f272...ml#post1721729

Thepenl took his time researching and documenting the process of adapting the go fast bits of the RCZ-R to his R56S. The RCZ-R represents the pinnacle of an OEM manufacturer's attempt to maximize the output of the Peugeot N18 engine. Hence being billed as "...the most powerful road-going car Peugeot has ever sold, with a 1.6 THP engine and 270bhp."

The thread is long but chock-full of information and detailed pictures. He's laid out a blueprint I plan on using when the time comes. It seems you're committed to your current path (I hope it works out, but I wanted to toss it out there just in case you decide you want to go another route.

He's been racing the build, really putting it through its paces and having a blast (he's got videos on youtube). According to the thread he hasn't had any issues with the final build.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:37 AM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Chris
Wish I had caught your engine mod update sooner. I don't know if you're aware of this project (the link drops you in with the part numbers)...
http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f272...ml#post1721729

Thepenl took his time researching and documenting the process of adapting the go fast bits of the RCZ-R to his R56S. The RCZ-R represents the pinnacle of an OEM manufacturer's attempt to maximize the output of the Peugeot N18 engine. Hence being billed as "...the most powerful road-going car Peugeot has ever sold, with a 1.6 THP engine and 270bhp."

The thread is long but chock-full of information and detailed pictures. He's laid out a blueprint I plan on using when the time comes. It seems you're committed to your current path (I hope it works out, but I wanted to toss it out there just in case you decide you want to go another route.

He's been racing the build, really putting it through its paces and having a blast (he's got videos on youtube). According to the thread he hasn't had any issues with the final build.
WOW! Thanks man. I'll definitely check that out. That Peugeot looks amazing. Love the lines and styling.

Can't wait to read the stats and the process of how it's done. I'm sure there's going to be overlap on what I've done and what they've done.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:41 PM
Barker/Holden
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LORDVDR:

I love the project. Looking forward to the rest of the story. Are you still at MINI of Manhattan?

Just wanted to let you know there is competition (in name only on the horizon):

http://www.dailyturismo.com/2016/12/...ord-vader.html

gary [2013 R58, JCW)

Old 12-17-2016, 02:57 PM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Thx...it's coming along little by little.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:06 PM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Barker/Holden
LORDVDR:

I love the project. Looking forward to the rest of the story. Are you still at MINI of Manhattan?

Just wanted to let you know there is competition (in name only on the horizon):

http://www.dailyturismo.com/2016/12/...ord-vader.html

gary [2013 R58, JCW)
I am currently at MINI of Manhattan and I love my job. It's kind of amazing...not going to lie. I get to not only learn about new stuff about MINIs, but get to play with them...and get paid for it.

There are lots of vehicles out there that are Star Wars inspired and even Darth Vader in particular. There was another guy coincidently who had the R58, but named his car DRKHLMT lol from Spaceballs. Not sure if that guy still has his R58...one would presume yes, but you never know.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:52 AM
Barker/Holden
1st Gear
Warranty

LORDVDR:

So I have posed a more specific form of this question before - but was not completely satisfied with the answer re: aftermarket modifications

When I asked my original dealer about an aftermarket addition I got a vague 'that shouldn't be a problem' which was less than reassuring. I didn't press at that point but the vagueness prompted some rumination. Here on NAM, I got some similar reassurances and someone mentioned the Magnusson Moss warranty act "Dealers by law cannot deny warranty coverage just for having aftermarket parts, if those parts did not cause the failure." I haven't found any cases where this was tested in court and don't want to depend on that route if it can be avoided.

You have a unique position on this list (from my limited experience) in that you have both corporate awareness and substantial aftermarket experience. Could you possible tell me (and I assume others):

Is there a current, clear, explicit MINI corporate policy re: aftermarket modifications (if yes - where can I find it) and their potential impact on warranties?

I am not asking you to speak for MINI here - I'm just trying to get to a clear explanation if one in fact exists.

Thanks, gary

Old 12-21-2016, 07:53 AM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
LORDVDR:

So I have posed a more specific form of this question before - but was not completely satisfied with the answer re: aftermarket modifications

When I asked my original dealer about an aftermarket addition I got a vague 'that shouldn't be a problem' which was less than reassuring. I didn't press at that point but the vagueness prompted some rumination. Here on NAM, I got some similar reassurances and someone mentioned the Magnusson Moss warranty act "Dealers by law cannot deny warranty coverage just for having aftermarket parts, if those parts did not cause the failure." I haven't found any cases where this was tested in court and don't want to depend on that route if it can be avoided.

You have a unique position on this list (from my limited experience) in that you have both corporate awareness and substantial aftermarket experience. Could you possible tell me (and I assume others):

Is there a current, clear, explicit MINI corporate policy re: aftermarket modifications (if yes - where can I find it) and their potential impact on warranties?

I am not asking you to speak for MINI here - I'm just trying to get to a clear explanation if one in fact exists.

Thanks, gary
Gary,

Sorry for the delayed response...

The corporate policy is such that if anything is found to be the cause of the malfunction and it's not covered by warranty, then they wouldn't cover it. That being said...if they find that the injectors are bad, but you changed the headlights...they won't void the warranty. If you put new injectors in and the new injectors screwed up everything else, well then...that might be a different story.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:09 AM
Barker/Holden
1st Gear
LORDVDR:

Thanks! I was concerned that might be the case. The vagueness of corporations and their teams of attorneys (my university currently has 32 lawyers in the general counsel's office).

One last thing - I also assume MINI dealers do not install aftermarket parts other than their own. Correct?

gary

PS: The problem with being an expert is that people are always asking you stuff.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:16 AM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
LORDVDR:

Thanks! I was concerned that might be the case. The vagueness of corporations and their teams of attorneys (my university currently has 32 lawyers in the general counsel's office).

One last thing - I also assume MINI dealers do not install aftermarket parts other than their own. Correct?

gary

PS: The problem with being an expert is that people are always asking you stuff.
I can only speak for where I work. We don't install aftermarket parts. I usually find a company near by that will do it for me.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:20 AM
Barker/Holden
1st Gear
LORDVDR:

Thanks again!

gary

Old 12-21-2016, 09:20 AM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
LORDVDR:

Thanks again!

gary
Anytime buddy...anytime.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:38 PM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Almost done!

Old 12-22-2016, 01:55 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
thats one big turbo.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-22-2016, 02:03 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
What boost pressures are you going to be running and do you know the target mass air flow rate in pounds/min?

Old 12-23-2016, 08:10 AM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
thats one big turbo.
Thank you kind sir. Should be getting it back early next week. (Next week can't come fast enough.)

Old 12-23-2016, 08:38 AM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
What boost pressures are you going to be running and do you know the target mass air flow rate in pounds/min?
As soon as I have more info I'll be posting them. I've been in constant contact with the shop and they send me photos every day or so. The amount of custom work on this tune and turbo build is impressive.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:15 PM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
More Updates

Diverted Valve Hose

Custom Downpipe Fabrication

Custom Downpipe Installation

Old 12-29-2016, 02:15 PM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Stage III Re-Mapping Happening Today

Old 12-30-2016, 07:51 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
This is going to be a night and day difference when you first drive it. I bet you are going to be grinning the whole time.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-30-2016, 08:16 AM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
This is going to be a night and day difference when you first drive it. I bet you are going to be grinning the whole time.
I just purchased the JCW Brembo Big Brake Kit with my employee discount. Dear lord...I feel like I just robbed a bank. lol That kit used to like $3500 or something.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:56 AM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Just picked up the car and OMFG it so much quicker and responsive.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:01 PM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Update: 1/2/17

Drove last night with Sport Mode on annnnd Check Engine light went on. Spoke with my tuner and will be bringing the car in tomorrow.

We were speculating on what could be happening. The car is huffing like a 70s Camaro below 10 mph. The acceleration is hesitant when the huffing happens.

Could be a tuning issue/fix. Shouldn't be a major issue.

(Side Note: the car is a BEAST! The popping sounds from before have been replaced with insane explosions. Omfg)

Old 01-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Jimbo
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drove last night with Sport Mode on annnnd Check Engine light went on. Spoke with my tuner and will be bringing the car in tomorrow. We were speculating on what could be happening. The car is huffing like a 70s Camaro below 10 mph. The acceleration is hesitant when the huffing happens. Could be a tuning issue/fix. Shouldn't be a major issue. (Side Note: the car is a BEAST! The popping sounds from before have been replaced with insane explosions. Omfg)
If people weren't grabbed by the eye catching looks of your Coupe before, they won't be able to ignore looking for the sound it's making now 😄