R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Monday with a silver lining...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 01:11 AM
Mini Chris
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Monday with a silver lining...

Whelp, it happened. My wife was rear ended Monday at a red light... by another Mini This sucks, however, there may silver lining.

First off, Wifey is was ok, she was a bit upset, but soldiered on to ace her calculus test

Turbo (our 2014 R58-S) is just a little worse for wear (I'll upload pictures tomorrow). It was a low speed impact (wife estimates 10-15mph). I inspected as much as I could: suspension, exhaust, sheet metal, trunk lid, seams, etc.; did not detect any additional damage.

I could not tell if the bumper shocks or bumper carrier will need replacing. Hopefully it's all cosmetic damage, but we'll learn the full extent once we get him in for an appraisal this week.

There's the possibility that we could opt for the JCW bumper instead of S if the cost is the same or less. I would appreciate help with a few questions...
  1. I've been through RealOEM to check parts numbers however I couldn't find the cost for an OEM S bumper (and accompanying hardware). Does anyone have a reputable source for this item?
  2. I could use help deciphering exactly what parts are needed to complete a s->jcw rear bumper replacement on a 2014 Coupe S (without rear parking detection)
  3. Is any of the hardware from the S bumper compatible with the JCW (if it wasn't damaged)?
I've checked ECS Tuning, Pelican Parts, Outmotoring, Mini Mania, and there are lots of kits listed! But I'm having trouble identifying all the the necessary parts/hardware for the itemized list I have to provide my insurance.

Thanks in advance for your help

Old 11-18-2015, 06:26 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Hello Chris ,

Sorry to hear this.

shoot me a PM and I can get you a list of parts for the conversions and some possible options like dual rear fog light / back up light mods, GP2 rear diffuser upgrade.. etc;

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-18-2015, 08:42 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Sorry to hear about the MINI, Chris, but glad to hear the wife is okay. You're unable to find the OEM bumper for the R58 on real OEM? That, I believe, is HERE. Rear bumper parts are HERE. The JCW aero kit on real OEM is HERE. It has all the parts listed that are needed with it. 51120404110 is the one without PDC. You can plug those part numbers into our search bar and it'll pull up each one. If you need assistance with all this let me know.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 11-18-2015, 02:51 PM
Mini Chris
2nd Gear
Thank you for the reply guys. This is our only car and I want to make sure I get all the parts info correct so Turbo isn't at the shop for any longer than necessary.

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
You're unable to find the OEM bumper for the R58 on real OEM?
Thank you for the links. I was able to find the R58 OEM bumper/part number, but couldn't find the price on RealOEM.com. I'll go through your links and contact you if I have any questions.

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
shoot me a PM and I can get you a list of parts for the conversions and some possible options like dual rear fog light / back up light mods, GP2 rear diffuser upgrade.. etc;
PM sent

Old 11-18-2015, 03:04 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by Mini Chris
Thank you for the links. I was able to find the R58 OEM bumper/part number, but couldn't find the price on RealOEM.com. I'll go through your links and contact you if I have any questions.
You're welcome. The part pricing on real OEM changes all the time. If you want to get a good number you can call the dealership and give them the part numbers. They can then give you the price for each component at their current pricing point. You can then use that price and use it in comparison to the JCW upgrade for your insurance company. Then you can find the JCW parts online for cheaper. I say go to the dealer for that pricing on the OEM bumper as it'll most likely be the highest. That way you have wiggle room to search for the JCW upgrades. If you find the cheapest OEM pricing, you wont have much wiggle room for the upgrade. I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions or need any other assistance. Good luck!

Old 11-18-2015, 04:29 PM
Mini Chris
2nd Gear
You're welcome. The part pricing on real OEM changes all the time. If you want to get a good number you can call the dealership and give them the part numbers. They can then give you the price for each component at their current pricing point. You can then use that price and use it in comparison to the JCW upgrade for your insurance company. Then you can find the JCW parts online for cheaper. I say go to the dealer for that pricing on the OEM bumper as it'll most likely be the highest. That way you have wiggle room to search for the JCW upgrades. If you find the cheapest OEM pricing, you wont have much wiggle room for the upgrade. I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions or need any other assistance. Good luck!
This makes sense!

Old 11-19-2015, 08:10 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Now, I understand why so many people are doing this upgrade. It is not that expensive.

But how the small tailpipes of the S look and fit in the center diffuser? The JCW has bigger exhaust tips and they even look small.

How does it looks and fits overall without the other body parts? I am just curious and asking.

I would like to see pictures.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:45 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dube53
Now, I understand why so many people are doing this upgrade. It is not that expensive.

But how the small tailpipes of the S look and fit in the center diffuser? The JCW has bigger exhaust tips and they even look small.

How does it looks and fits overall without the other body parts? I am just curious and asking.

I would like to see pictures.
Mine's a Roadster, but it's an S. Hopefully this gives an idea.

Attached Thumbnails Monday with a silver lining...-photo259.jpg   Monday with a silver lining...-photo424.jpg  
Old 11-20-2015, 10:31 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by spiney
Mine's a Roadster, but it's an S. Hopefully this gives an idea.
Looks good. And you can always go with an upgraded exhaust too with the upgrade if you want to fill out the area more.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:16 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Looks good. And you can always go with an upgraded exhaust too with the upgrade if you want to fill out the area more.
First time I see mud flaps on a Mini. They look a bit strange but I am sure they do their job.

Do you also have them at the front?

Old 11-26-2015, 06:24 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dube53
First time I see mud flaps on a Mini. They look a bit strange but I am sure they do their job.

Do you also have them at the front?
It looks like you can just make out the flaps behind the front wheel in that first photo. I'm on my phone so I can't zoom in to be sure.

I have front mudflaps on my roadster, there was a lot of road resurfacing going on in my area and the mudflaps prevented all that gunk from hitting the sides of my car.

I'm curious if rear mudflaps would help to keep the seemingly every present road dust from collecting on the hatch and rear bumper.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:51 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dongood
It looks like you can just make out the flaps behind the front wheel in that first photo. I'm on my phone so I can't zoom in to be sure.

I have front mudflaps on my roadster, there was a lot of road resurfacing going on in my area and the mudflaps prevented all that gunk from hitting the sides of my car.

I'm curious if rear mudflaps would help to keep the seemingly every present road dust from collecting on the hatch and rear bumper.
I wrote up my attempts to fit the fronts which are for the regular side skirts to my JCW kit here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3872086

You might be able to see the fronts better in the attached picture.

Attached Thumbnails Monday with a silver lining...-2015-11-25-15.30.13.jpg  

Last edited by spiney; 12-01-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Pictures...
Old 12-01-2015, 08:43 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Pics not showing up ? Must be a link error or something.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-01-2015, 08:53 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Pics not showing up ? Must be a link error or something.
Google changed how they give out URLs, they don't have .jpg on the end any more. I've had nothing but trouble ever since. I'll play with them AGAIN!!