R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Moving from Countryman to Coupe!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 12:17 PM
cgutierr
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving from Countryman to Coupe!

I have a couple questions for the coupe owners. So I went from a hatchback to a countryman and have missed the performance. Now im getting my coupe next week. How does the coupes drive ability compare to the hatchback? Edmans gave the car a poor review that's there is a blind spot.. Is that true?

Old 04-05-2015, 12:26 PM
tilted
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had mine for almost a year and you get used to the blind spot. The roadster is missing the glass in the B-pillar so it's even worst.

It is super stiff and there will likely be a lot more rattling from the trunk cover and rear wall etc. and remember, no sun roof so it'll feel a bit more cramped.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Didn't you drive the car?

Old 04-05-2015, 04:33 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by cgutierr
I have a couple questions for the coupe owners. So I went from a hatchback to a countryman and have missed the performance. Now im getting my coupe next week. How does the coupes drive ability compare to the hatchback? Edmans gave the car a poor review that's there is a blind spot.. Is that true?
It is true but you will get accustomed. As for performance and handling, the coupe is far better and has no body flex.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:47 PM
boxter4ever
3rd Gear
Blind spot !

Hi , I am on my second coupe a 2012 s and now a 2013 jcw you will love it . With mirrors adjusted properly there is no blind spot .

Old 04-06-2015, 02:51 AM
dongood
4th Gear
I have the Roadster and while I absolutely hate the blind spot it's no worse than other fastback cars.

It's something you adjust for.

Besides in rainless SoCal who drives with the top up anyway.

Perhaps a larger concern would be actually getting in and out of the car. The coupé/roadster have a much shorter window height, especially coming from the CM.

I believe the roadster is slightly worse. When the top is up I have to do a sit and pivot to get in the car.

Definitely check thus out when you test drive.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:51 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dongood
I have the Roadster and while I absolutely hate the blind spot it's no worse than other fastback cars.

It's something you adjust for.

Besides in rainless SoCal who drives with the top up anyway.

Perhaps a larger concern would be actually getting in and out of the car. The coupé/roadster have a much shorter window height, especially coming from the CM.

I believe the roadster is slightly worse. When the top is up I have to do a sit and pivot to get in the car.

Definitely check thus out when you test drive.
No problem getting in and out for me. I am 5'11" and I am fine. I bought the Coupe because the cabin was far better than the HT.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:49 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
No problems here , thats a big change in feel from a CM to a Coupe. You will feel more connected to the road and it handle much better. The CM does have smoother more BMW X1 kind of ride.

Just get some euro blind spot mirrors if you have issues, they sell out pretty quick so just auto-notify when they come back in.

Regular: Heated.

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_Blind_Spot_Mirrors_R55_R56_R57_Clubman_S_JCW_ Hardtop_Convertible_Cooper_2007_2008_2009_2010_201 1_2012_2013_2014/

OR

If you already have the auto dim function ( cant be added ).

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51169803799KT/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-10-2015, 06:09 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I find the Coupes and Hard Tops pretty similar in everyday handling. I've never pushed a Coupe very yard (I've only driven them on customer test-drives), but they do feel pretty tight. We're doing a swaybar on one this morning: now that'll be a tight little car.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:34 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
I find the Coupes and Hard Tops pretty similar in everyday handling. I've never pushed a Coupe very yard (I've only driven them on customer test-drives), but they do feel pretty tight. We're doing a swaybar on one this morning: now that'll be a tight little car.
They are completely different cars like driving a Nissan Altima and a Z. The Mini HT is an econo box that flex at every corner or twisting at road curves if not braced.

A Coupe is not the same thing............I know because I aggressively drove both in JCW trim.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:20 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
+1 Yea driving the R58 and the R56 , I felel they are different. On the track they feel different when pushed. I can say in the JCW models they feel even more separated and aggressive. The JCW Coupe feel really different then the JCW R56 , in just how it handles. But that's what I felt.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-16-2015, 11:09 PM
spingq
4th Gear
hah, the difference between the Coupe and Hardtop base models must be a lot less than on the S or JCW then because when I test drove a base Coupe, I felt like the I was just driving a regular HT just with a wall behind the front seats. Of course, I don't really get into the spirited driving much, so my perspective is probably more from the point of view of an old grandma. I do love the look of them, but the interior amenities I was able to get in a HT versus the barebones interior of a similarly priced Coupe were too much to pass up. But I do still envy the Coupes and Roadsters.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:52 AM
scf
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
No problems here , thats a big change in feel from a CM to a Coupe. You will feel more connected to the road and it handle much better. The CM does have smoother more BMW X1 kind of ride.

Just get some euro blind spot mirrors if you have issues, they sell out pretty quick so just auto-notify when they come back in.

Regular: Heated.

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_Blind_Spot_Mirrors_R55_R56_R57_Clubman_S_JCW_ Hardtop_Convertible_Cooper_2007_2008_2009_2010_201 1_2012_2013_2014/

OR

If you already have the auto dim function ( cant be added ).

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51169803799KT/

so, even if you have the convenience package with the interior autodim, and you have heated powerfold mirrors, you still cannot add autodim side mirrors?

Old 04-17-2015, 06:11 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by spingq
hah, the difference between the Coupe and Hardtop base models must be a lot less than on the S or JCW then because when I test drove a base Coupe, I felt like the I was just driving a regular HT just with a wall behind the front seats. Of course, I don't really get into the spirited driving much, so my perspective is probably more from the point of view of an old grandma. I do love the look of them, but the interior amenities I was able to get in a HT versus the barebones interior of a similarly priced Coupe were too much to pass up. But I do still envy the Coupes and Roadsters.
The reason they are different is the chassis and body structure is not the same as the HT. There is no magic here...... the wall as you mentioned does the job in a wonderful way and keeps all the body panels very thigh together.

It has nothing to do with the choice of any performance package. The dynamics of both models are far apart from each other.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:23 PM
spingq
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dube53
The reason they are different is the chassis and body structure is not the same as the HT. There is no magic here...... the wall as you mentioned does the job in a wonderful way and keeps all the body panels very thigh together.

It has nothing to do with the choice of any performance package. The dynamics of both models are far apart from each other.
i know all that - i moreso meant the type of person (me) that drives a base model would likely not notice as much a difference as an S or JCW driver would, given that we can have much different expectations. I drive my car like a grocery getter, so I'm not going to see much difference as I turn corners at 20 or 30mph. I just figured it was worth mentioning that driver perspective can have an impact on how much of a difference one feels between models.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:14 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by scf
so, even if you have the convenience package with the interior autodim, and you have heated powerfold mirrors, you still cannot add autodim side mirrors?
Auto dimming wiring already has to be present thus already have the autodim US side mirror ( you will see they outside edge ring ). Its for a direct swap.

I guess you could add the wiring but you would have to rewire and then feed into the control module in the kick panel then tap into the auto dim review mirror light eye. But I dont know how to do this.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:11 PM
quickave
3rd Gear
Hey how goes it my Coupe Friends. I'm Josh I have a 2012 Coupe S and a 2014 Mini Countryman. I have ordered a 2015 JCW Hardtop to swap out the Coupe however.. she's (Vesper) been a great car the last two years and deserves her own post!

Attached Thumbnails Moving from Countryman to Coupe!-my_mini_desktop.jpg   Moving from Countryman to Coupe!-img_2896.jpg  
Old 04-20-2015, 05:16 PM
quickave
3rd Gear
Corrected Pics!

Attached Thumbnails Moving from Countryman to Coupe!-img_2837.jpg   Moving from Countryman to Coupe!-img_2896.jpg  
Old 04-21-2015, 05:52 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Congrats on the new MINIs.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:33 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
you get used to the blind spots, just use the side mirrors correctly and it's no problem. It's a little different getting out of. I have the sport suspension, and so the ride is on the stiff side what with the strengthened frame and all. No rattles though.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:27 AM
sludge
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cgutierr
My 03 cooper S is become quite the moneypit these days. I'm thinking of switching to a coumtryman S All4. Having owned both, can you say it is a night and day difference between the two? Obviously the countryman will be sloppier, but how would it compare to other sporty SUVs? It seems to fit the bill quite nicely for me, being slightly larger, still under 3000 lbs from what I've read, sporty, AWD with manual.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:40 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
You will notice the ride height, smoothness of a ride. You can feel the weight of the CM and the steering control is sharp, especially in sport mode , but it will never be as sharp as the Gen 1 MINIs.

The CM compared to other SUV, Countryman feels still sharp and not sloppy. Feels tight and you can throw it around, most small crossovers and SUV which feel like a truck and not tight.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:44 AM
quickave
3rd Gear
Coupe answer

Ok so the coupe is by far the funniest Mini I have opened. I had a 05 Hardtop S and can say the Coupe S is deffy quick and fun on the curves. The fact that it has a spoiler that comes up around 50 mph just adds to its uniqueness. To me it felt more of a sporter feel then the hardtop. Blind spot wise the only thing I found you have to get use to is not being right up on a red light be issue you will not see it lol. You get use to it and you will nautically give yourself some space at red lights. I have enjoyed the Coupe so much that the only thing I could get to try to one up it was the new JCW.. So that should give you a idea on how much the Coupe has to offer.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:47 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by quickave
I have enjoyed the Coupe so much that the only thing I could get to try to one up it was the new JCW.. So that should give you a idea on how much the Coupe has to offer.
No, the only thing you could get to try to one up it is the JCW Coupe! You could have ordered one, but noooooooooo! Too late now.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:08 PM
quickave
3rd Gear
hahah I need 4 seats!! the wife was killing me over using the Countryman anytime we rode has a family. I'll deff miss my Coupe.

Quick Reply: R58 Moving from Countryman to Coupe!