R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 Coupe and Roadster getting axed

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 07:07 PM
MINIMAN1411
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My F56 S with Sport Suspension and Dunlop Summer Run-Flats actually handles better than my R55 S with LSD and Sport Suspension, it might because my R55 has a lot of miles and needs a whole suspension over haul, but I actually agree with MotoringFile in saying the F56 steers better than the second gens, I also had an R55 S without LSD and Sport Suspension, and although that car is what brought me into MINI's and I lived it dearly, I can say that was the second worst handling MINI I've ever driven (only one worse was a Justa Paceman Automatic I got as a loaner once, just horrible!), I've also driven an R56 S and an R53 S and have to say R53 S was the best handling one, I felt more engaged in that one than other MINI, but my F56 comes a pretty close second to the R53. The F56, though, is way too quiet, waiting for the JCW kit to come out with the JCW exhaust that has an electric silencer bypass!

Old 02-21-2015, 08:58 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Miniman, look into disabling the active sound cancellation: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...esign-asd.html

Old 02-21-2015, 06:38 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by fjork_duf
From my personal experience the steering on the F56 and the R58 felt very similar (very numb). The '07 R56 Cooper S with LSD I had to me had way more steering feel. I don't know whether it was the torque steer or the amount of heft mini dialed in. I always felt with that car I knew what the wheels were doing and I knew right where I was placing the car in turns. The R58 alternatively feels very numb to me.

The F56 I test drove was very removed. The engine is way too quiet and the steering was just blah. I think the feel motoring file is perceiving must be something that is achieved through the sport suspension and tire combo. All the cars at my local dealer (F56) had soft suspension and all seasons.

Overall so far I am not that happy with my JCW R58 I am taking it to the track next Friday so I guess I will see how it feels there.
I am surprised you don't like your Coupe furthermore in the JCW livery.

If your car is intended for racetrack and not your daily driver, I am sure you can find the upgrades you need which means $$$$ of add-ons.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:26 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIMAN1411
The F56, though, is way too quiet, waiting for the JCW kit to come out with the JCW exhaust that has an electric silencer bypass!
I saw someone who totally deleted the muffler on his F56, just a straight pipe, and he says it sounds great. Got the idea from the Fiat Abarth, which has no muffler. Cost him $100.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:29 PM
MINIMAN1411
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I saw someone who totally deleted the muffler on his F56, just a straight pipe, and he says it sounds great. Got the idea from the Fiat Abarth, which has no muffler. Cost him $100.
I actually had two Abarths, but I got tired of the loud exhaust all the time, that combined with the fact that the Abarth only had 5 gears and when I was going 90 mph on the highway I would be at 4k rpm and everyone (I mean EVERYONE!) could hear me and would always look over at me got me to trade them in for MINI's twice, but, sometimes, I do like to hear my car running, which the F56 doesn't really allow.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:20 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I would be surprised Abarth has no muffler. All cars are required to have them.

To delete the muffler on a Mini "may" seems trouble if the car is still under warranty because it is not factory approved.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:58 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dube53
I am surprised you don't like your Coupe furthermore in the JCW livery. If your car is intended for racetrack and not your daily driver, I am sure you can find the upgrades you need which means $$$$ of add-ons.
Well perhaps I worded it too strongly. I must say the car is a great car in some ways. I am mainly sour over the quality control so far of the car. The dash rattling, the rear hatch rattle, the horrible HK stereo sound quality, and the steering numbness. The car is a blast on tight roads and really fricken quick. It's missing some character though in the driving experience. I'm pretty sure the track day will make up my mind.

I plan to do another autox too. I may need to just pony up some dough for an OsGiken. I really am not a fan of the brake based "diff" so far either.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:02 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Also another thing I fixed over the weekend that helped the feel. The dealer had adjusted my tire pressure when the tires weren't completely cold. They were 2psi down all around. I added pressure and that livened the steering up quite a bit. When I wrote that last week the car was feeling rubbery. I check the pressure about once a month so I didn't catch the dealer mistake right away.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:32 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by dube53
I would be surprised Abarth has no muffler. All cars are required to have them.

To delete the muffler on a Mini "may" seems trouble if the car is still under warranty because it is not factory approved.
That's what he said, no muffler. I thought it odd myself. He said he kept his muffler to reinstall after his Mini's lease is up. Again I haven't heard his car but he said it sounds pretty good, and only cost him about $100 to remove.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:26 PM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Ok to be fair I owe this thread an update (from another thread):

Haha well... I must say as a track car the JCW R58 is awesome. I have no frame of reference since I never tracked the car in stock form. I have the factory JCW suspension, and bridgestone RE11 tires. So I would say in it's current fun it's a GREAT track car. Had no problems, ran very strong all day long. Sessions were approx 20-25minutes each.

I think the main issues I have with the car are creature-comfort based. Road noise / stereo sucks / rattles rattles rattles rattles / mini connected is a joke (see my thread about the iphone lightning adapter abysmal sound quality) / my bumper has damage pre-delivery which I need to deal with, and some numbness in general daily driving.

So now my opinion is this: The car is GREAT at the track, and I assume it's going to be a ton of fun at autox. So as a toy/fun car it's a 10/10. As a daily driver it's more like a 6/10 for me. Luckily I have an old GTI beater I use for slumming in traffic.

So would I buy this car again? after this track day, yes I would. But now I'm honestly wondering what the F56 JCW w/JCW pro suspension is like. If that car is put together better, less rattles, good stereo, I may strongly consider it. Since I could fit the kid back there in a pinch. I just wonder if it could match the coupe dynamically. Styling-wise the coupe wins in my opinion.

So yes, I'm happy now and satisfied with my purchase.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:44 AM
Deli
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is this discussion in a "Coupe and Roadster being axed" thread?

Old 03-03-2015, 08:34 AM
fjork_duf
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Deli
Ok ok. Yeah you're right. Because I had complained about my coupe earlier in the thread. You win.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:03 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Because we all LOVE MINI. It may answer your question. It seems quite and simple.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:58 PM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Well.. let's get this thread back on track then..

I see our coupes in the long run being a very sought after rare gem in the MINI history/livery. I plan to keep my Bonnie for hopefully the next 20 years. We'll never see another MINI Coupe body style ever.. Superlegga aint a coupe..

also... 2 years old and i still get head turners and people pointing/asking about her... was in a small town heritage days parade and got a ton of.. "i didn't know they made a coupe, that i'd drive!"..

most americans prefer the coupe design over a hatchback...

Old 05-08-2015, 04:36 AM
Deli
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The MINI website still allows you to configure a Coupe or Roadster. There's a message saying they are no longer making them, but you can still find some in dealer stocks.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:14 AM
Ghetto Mr Bob
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The MINI website still allows you to configure a Coupe or Roadster. There's a message saying they are no longer making them, but you can still find some in dealer stocks.
The very last ones were being produced around the end of April and that was only a batch of 6. So whatever is out there is it, those are the last ones til they sell out.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:13 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by jimmyselix
Well.. let's get this thread back on track then..

I see our coupes in the long run being a very sought after rare gem in the MINI history/livery.

also... 2 years old and i still get head turners and people pointing/asking about her... was in a small town heritage days parade and got a ton of.. "i didn't know they made a coupe, that i'd drive!"..

most americans prefer the coupe design over a hatchback...
Me too, I get people asking me if it's a Mini. It is the best looking body style, but having no back seat was a deal breaker evidently. I'm sure the F56 JCW 3 door is a really great car but I'll stick with mine thank you.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:04 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
I got asked if its the New Porsche ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172