R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 OEM MINI LED DRL's installed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 04:20 AM
Tabintab
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They look real nice & if i was made of money I probably would still not buy them & get a car that had LED driving lights as standard. For me I went online & bought some CANBUS 5W LED bulbs for £10 that match the colour profile of the Xeons.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:44 AM
SODA66
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Non Fog light Mini conversion

Has anyone had these installed on a Mini that did not come with Fog lights only DRLs. I read somewhere where you could not put them on cars that did not come from the factory with fog and DRLS. thks

Old 04-07-2014, 07:27 PM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Issue is the main wiring harness. if you don't have factory fogs you are missing the connections the kit plugs into and wiring to switch in the car. I have not seen a kit to install fogs on a non Factory fog install, it may exsist. You would need a kit for that or be prepared for allot of wiring. Anything can be done with time and $$$

Old 05-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Heathbar
Neutral
Help, I just purchased these with install from the dealer and they can't get the DRL to work. Only the position lights work. With headlights off, the DRL should make a full HALO. Dealer does not know why. They have them installed on their cars as well and same thing. While they continue to research this, does anyone know the trick to make these work right?

Old 05-09-2014, 05:36 PM
tigerwong58
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Heathbar
Help, I just purchased these with install from the dealer and they can't get the DRL to work. Only the position lights work. With headlights off, the DRL should make a full HALO. Dealer does not know why. They have them installed on their cars as well and same thing. While they continue to research this, does anyone know the trick to make these work right?
I lefty DRLs off and I get the full halo in the headlights off position. If I pull the stalk for highbeams the halo and the highbeams are on

Old 05-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Heathbar
Neutral
Originally Posted by tigerwong58

I lefty DRLs off and I get the full halo in the headlights off position. If I pull the stalk for highbeams the halo and the highbeams are on
Your dealer must have deactivated DRL in the software so that it works.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:12 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's worth saying again the DRL option in the Mini's set-up menu is asking you "Do you want to have the headlights permanently on as running lights?" and is not about using the LED DRLs - except that if you set the DRL menu option to 'on', the headlights will permanently be on and so the full circle of the LED DRLs will never come on.

So, DRL option off if you fit the Mini LED DRLs.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:49 AM
Heathbar
Neutral
Originally Posted by Angib
It's worth saying again the DRL option in the Mini's set-up menu is asking you "Do you want to have the headlights permanently on as running lights?" and is not about using the LED DRLs - except that if you set the DRL menu option to 'on', the headlights will permanently be on and so the full circle of the LED DRLs will never come on.

So, DRL option off if you fit the Mini LED DRLs.
Yes, I agree. I set DRL to off, and still I get no full circle. It's just not right and even the dealer who installed cant figure it out. I think they have to program it in the codes. It's just funny that no one else seems to have this problem, but of the three that have been installed at my dealer, none of them work as advertised for us. 2 of the guys work at MINi dealer so I know they are motivated to find a solution. It just is a matter of time I guess until we all figure it out.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:50 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's just funny that no one else seems to have this problem, but of the three that have been installed at my dealer, none of them work as advertised for us.
I bought one of the early LED DRL kits when they first became available in Britain and mine was one of quite a few that had a problem with the control box malfunctioning. In my case it resulted in a fog light bulb failure warning when the light worked just fine. The only fix was a complete new installation.

I don't know for sure if it's the same in the US, but here the parts warranty includes the labour for diagnosing and removing/replacing faulty parts, even if you just buy the parts and fit them yourself. That had me worried for a while, as that meant if the dealer could demonstrate it was my installation that caused the problem, then I would be liable for their labour charges. The warranty only applied if I took the car to the dealer with the faulty DRLs installed - there wasn't an option to return the faulty item alone and get that replaced.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:19 PM
bmrguy03
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, I agree. I set DRL to off, and still I get no full circle. It's just not right and even the dealer who installed cant figure it out. I think they have to program it in the codes. It's just funny that no one else seems to have this problem, but of the three that have been installed at my dealer, none of them work as advertised for us. 2 of the guys work at MINi dealer so I know they are motivated to find a solution. It just is a matter of time I guess until we all figure it out.
Honestly it sounds like they spliced the wrong wire for the blue wire. The instructions from MINI are a bit confusing. They have the right PIN # and color of plug/harness but on the picture they point to the bottom harness on the Light Control Module when in reality it is the one on the top. The wire should be solid grey if I'm not mistaken. Let them know this and hopefully it fixes the issue.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:12 PM
PHL_FLYERS
3rd Gear
I just had the Xenon Retrofit Headlights installed at the dealer on my 2014 Mini Cooper Coupe S and love how bright they are. Only problem is that they were not adjusted correctly and I had to readjust them today so that they fit in the hole in the hood and seat correctly. My Mini is going back in this week for the Retrofit Fog Lights. I wanted this combo when I purchased my Mini but the Coupe I purchased didn't have the Xenon Headlights and only had the regular Fog Lights. I didn't want to void warranty and was told that if the dealership installed them that they also would be covered in the original warranty of the car. Will post a picture later this week.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:27 PM
PHL_FLYERS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PHL_FLYERS
I just had the Xenon Retrofit Headlights installed at the dealer on my 2014 Mini Cooper Coupe S and love how bright they are. Only problem is that they were not adjusted correctly and I had to readjust them today so that they fit in the hole in the hood and seat correctly. My Mini is going back in this week for the Retrofit Fog Lights. I wanted this combo when I purchased my Mini but the Coupe I purchased didn't have the Xenon Headlights and only had the regular Fog Lights. I didn't want to void warranty and was told that if the dealership installed them that they also would be covered in the original warranty of the car. Will post a picture later this week.
Pictures of My New Xenon headlights and also the LED foglights also I added some style to the headlight.
Name:  photo2-1.jpg
Views: 2957
Size:  79.9 KB
Name:  photo1-2.jpg
Views: 3051
Size:  102.9 KB
Name:  dfa47f15-0cfc-4954-a286-a49acee1613b.jpg
Views: 2790
Size:  85.8 KB
Name:  photo3-1.jpg
Views: 2951
Size:  36.9 KB
Name:  photo_4.jpg
Views: 2813
Size:  67.6 KB
Name:  photo_1.jpg
Views: 2780
Size:  35.9 KB
Name:  photo_2.jpg
Views: 2772
Size:  52.4 KB
The Headlights now also serve as turn signals. I'd say functional headlights. Let me know how you like them

Old 05-27-2014, 07:45 AM
StrikeZ
2nd Gear
As good as they look - $600 to replace the current fog lights is very steep. I priced it back in December for the addition of rally lights and DLR - it was $1300 for both. I thought it was way too high.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:46 PM
PHL_FLYERS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by StrikeZ
As good as they look - $600 to replace the current fog lights is very steep. I priced it back in December for the addition of rally lights and DLR - it was $1300 for both. I thought it was way too high.
I replaced my headlights with aftermarket Halo's and lights were a little better then stock headlights. I then decided to make the switch to Xenon Retrofit kit by Mini and the LED fog lights because I wanted the brighter lights also they are covered by my Service contract now. I don't do too much driving at night but when I do I like to see everything in front of me. The Xenon lights are very bright and the New Led Fog's are awesome.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Big G1010
Neutral
I just had the OEM MINI LED DRLs installed on my 2009 JCW. They do look awesome. I'd like to have the white color of the LED DRLs (6000k) to match my Xenon headlights (4300k) and OEM rally lights. Has anybody tried and been successful?

Old 03-01-2015, 09:37 AM
strgzr3745
2nd Gear
Help! I'm having the same issue as Heathbar. I just had these installed by my dealer for $400 (installation only, not including parts) and the DRLs won't work. They cannot tell me why, and have suggested that perhaps these are for European models and the halo will never light for my US model. This just doesn't sound right.

The DRL is set to OFF on the stalk but I get nothing lighting up on the retrofits. I'm expecting the full halo. I get the brow when the parking lights are turned on, and the brow + fog lamp when the fog lights are turned on. So it's only the full halo that doesn't seem to be working. Did anyone figure out how to make them work?

Did anyone experiencing this issue use bmrguy03's fix regarding the blue and grey wire and get their full halos to light up?

Old 03-01-2015, 03:05 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by strgzr3745
Help! I'm having the same issue as Heathbar. I just had these installed by my dealer for $400 (installation only, not including parts) and the DRLs won't work. They cannot tell me why, and have suggested that perhaps these are for European models and the halo will never light for my US model. This just doesn't sound right. The DRL is set to OFF on the stalk but I get nothing lighting up on the retrofits. I'm expecting the full halo. I get the brow when the parking lights are turned on, and the brow + fog lamp when the fog lights are turned on. So it's only the full halo that doesn't seem to be working. Did anyone figure out how to make them work? Did anyone experiencing this issue use bmrguy03's fix regarding the blue and grey wire and get their full halos to light up?
The only thing that they could have done wrong is spliced the wrong wire, or not made a proper splice into the right one. I did that when I first installed mine.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:11 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Sounds like they spliced into the wrong wire. When I installed mine I tested them out without hooking up the blue wire and I experienced exactly what you are experiencing.

Make sure that they tapped into the correct connector.

There was some confusion about which connector when they first came out.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:12 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
+1 sounds like they spliced into the wrong wire.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-06-2015, 03:21 PM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
BTW.. it should be noted..
If you take to dealership to get installed, there is a hefty ECU upgrade they have to do and in turn all of your NCSExpert coding may be lost. I have VIM and quite a few other things coded and will let the group know if my settings are wiped w/the software update or not. hopefully not!!

Old 03-07-2015, 03:47 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyselix
BTW.. it should be noted.. If you take to dealership to get installed, there is a hefty ECU upgrade they have to do and in turn all of your NCSExpert coding may be lost. I have VIM and quite a few other things coded and will let the group know if my settings are wiped w/the software update or not. hopefully not!!
The instructions state "no coding necessary". I didn't need any. Sounds like they did something that was required for another reason at the same time, I'm pretty sure it wasn't needed just for the DRLs.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:02 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
If the dealer charged to install, why did they not center the fit, and adjust the lights??

So unprofessional.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:49 AM
johnso56
2nd Gear
In Hong Kong I bought my LED Daytime Running Light at 430USD from MINI, and install it in a local shop at 185USD (3-hour work). Very nice indeed

Old 03-11-2015, 06:05 PM
strgzr3745
2nd Gear
spiney, cerenkov, and ECSTuning: Y'all were right that something was wired wrong. My dealer contacted MINI, MINI provided a wiring diagram, and my dealer rewired my retrofits. Now the halos light up as the DRL. Thank you guys/gals! Weeeeee!!!! Monty's lookin so classy with his retrofit headlamps and DRLS!

jimmyselix:+1 to what spiney said. No coding was necessary for these DRLs except to set the DRL option to OFF on the turn signal stick. (The reverse of this video
)

Old 03-12-2015, 10:21 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Great, glad you got them fixed and working now.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Quick Reply: R58 OEM MINI LED DRL's installed!