R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 John Cooper Works Rear Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 04:07 PM
tigerwong58
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question, does the wing still go up manually with the switch? Just not automatically at 50mph by the reprogramming? My Revozport Carbon Fiber wing is arriving next week. Thanks

Old 12-04-2013, 08:48 PM
PHL_FLYERS
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tigerwong58
Question, does the wing still go up manually with the switch? Just not automatically at 50mph by the reprogramming? My Revozport Carbon Fiber wing is arriving next week. Thanks
Just had my JCW wing taken off of my 2012 Mini Cooper Coupe and put on my 2014 Mini Cooper Coupe S. When the JCW wing is put on the Coupe They take the old factory wing and Motor's out and replace it with the JCW wing. They also reprogram the computer and disengage the wing function which wouldn't work anyway because the motor's for the wings are no longer there. I was handed the wing and motors after they put the JCW wing on my Coupe. Hopefully this answers your question.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:36 AM
minirab
5th Gear
Me too.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 AM
tigerwong58
3rd Gear
Awesome, Thanks. I was still hoping to manually control the up and down feature.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Black Sharpie
3rd Gear
Grave digging here - but how much could I expect the paint/install to cost after obtaining the spoiler?

Old 01-20-2015, 10:03 AM
zcast
3rd Gear
I had mine painted for just under $150. That included the 2 colors (black for the top spoiler to match my roof color and red for the base support to match the body) and clearcoat. Oh and I also had them paint 2 primed mirror covers in the same red that he threw in for free.

-Z

Old 01-25-2015, 12:27 PM
PHL_FLYERS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Black Sharpie
Grave digging here - but how much could I expect the paint/install to cost after obtaining the spoiler?
I purchased my JCW wing from the dealer and had them paint it and install. The wing was one that was ordered by someone else but decided they didn't want it after it was received. They had it at the shop for a while and wanted to get rid of it. Painting Two colors and purchase of the wing was about $1000.00 Install was about an additional $300.00 They did an excellent job paint wise and installation. The Factory Stripes were done also.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:57 PM
Eric Campbell
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh my goodness.

Attached Thumbnails John Cooper Works Rear Spoiler-6148572484_c625db0eb9_z.jpg  
Old 01-26-2015, 01:18 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts

Yea, that looks really good. Like the combo.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-26-2015, 06:01 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
"Yea, that looks really good. Like the combo".

Well......I prefer the automatic spoiler going up and down because I can hear the motor and if I prefer, I can have the spoiler in the up position driving in town. I consider it is a nice feature of the Coupe.

I am not sure I would like to see all the time the tips of this big spoiler obstructing the view of my side mirrors and furthermore my rear window.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:39 PM
PHL_FLYERS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dube53
"Yea, that looks really good. Like the combo".

Well......I prefer the automatic spoiler going up and down because I can hear the motor and if I prefer, I can have the spoiler in the up position driving in town. I consider it is a nice feature of the Coupe.

I am not sure I would like to see all the time the tips of this big spoiler obstructing the view of my side mirrors and furthermore my rear window.
The JCW stable wing does not interfere with your view from the side mirrors and from the rear view mirror it doesn't obstruct any more then the wing that goes up and down. My fear when I began looking at the JCW wing was that the motor would give out or freeze up especially in the winter. I have heard of the motors locking up and non functioning wings. The difference with the JCW wing verses the original wing is that unless you raise the wing you the Coupe doesn't feel like it's hugging the road until the wing raises. With the JCW wing the Coupe hugs the road and take off feels better and at high speed it hugs the road better as well.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:13 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PHL_FLYERS
The JCW stable wing does not interfere with your view from the side mirrors and from the rear view mirror it doesn't obstruct any more then the wing that goes up and down. My fear when I began looking at the JCW wing was that the motor would give out or freeze up especially in the winter. I have heard of the motors locking up and non functioning wings. The difference with the JCW wing verses the original wing is that unless you raise the wing you the Coupe doesn't feel like it's hugging the road until the wing raises. With the JCW wing the Coupe hugs the road and take off feels better and at high speed it hugs the road better as well.
Overall, it is a matter of personal taste.

For me this JCW spoiler looks like an after market add-on and it breaks the overall good look of the Coupe. Unless somebody is on the racetrack, I don't see any benefit to this expensive outfit.

I drove at very high speed over the mountains and twisty roads on a recent road trip and I have never experienced any problem about road handling or stability with the original spoiler.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:27 AM
zcast
3rd Gear
For me this JCW spoiler looks like an after market add-on and it breaks the overall good look of the Coupe. Unless somebody is on the racetrack, I don't see any benefit to this expensive outfit.
I couldn't disagree more. I think it COMPLETES the look of the Coupe. The retractable spoiler seemed more like a novelty to make it seem more "exotic" and unique. Every MINI enthusiast who has seen mine with the JCW spoiler usually says something like "I was never a big fan of the coupe, but the way it looks with that spoiler just looks awesome!"

But I will agree, like anything with MINIs, it comes down to personal preference. Me, I personally think coupes without the JCW spoiler are toys yearning to be cars.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:17 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
I like the function on the mechanical wing and it moving up and down. But with that color and wing above. Looks great also. That color just pops.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-30-2015, 06:58 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by zcast
I couldn't disagree more. I think it COMPLETES the look of the Coupe. The retractable spoiler seemed more like a novelty to make it seem more "exotic" and unique. Every MINI enthusiast who has seen mine with the JCW spoiler usually says something like "I was never a big fan of the coupe, but the way it looks with that spoiler just looks awesome!"

But I will agree, like anything with MINIs, it comes down to personal preference. Me, I personally think coupes without the JCW spoiler are toys yearning to be cars.
My JCW Coupe is a commuter. It is fast and handles well.

The mechanical spoiler is fine for me.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:52 PM
PHL_FLYERS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by zcast

I'm glad that there are a few others that feel the way I do about the JCW wing. I am on my second Coupe. My first was a 2012 Coupe and then I traded that is for the 2014 Coupe S. I drove the 2012 for about 8 months with the mechanical wing. I love to drive but what I felt was around curves going 35-40mph the traction wasn't as crisp. One the JCW wing was installed I could feel the Coupe hug the ground.
When I purchased the 2014 I had the JCW wing transferred from my 2012 to the 2014. I love the ride.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:20 PM
dube53
6th Gear
I'm glad that there are a few others that feel the way I do about the JCW wing. I am on my second Coupe. My first was a 2012 Coupe and then I traded that is for the 2014 Coupe S. I drove the 2012 for about 8 months with the mechanical wing. I love to drive but what I felt was around curves going 35-40mph the traction wasn't as crisp. One the JCW wing was installed I could feel the Coupe hug the ground.
When I purchased the 2014 I had the JCW wing transferred from my 2012 to the 2014. I love the ride.
If you have traction problems around curves at about 35-40 MPH, it is not related to the mechanical wing but more your tire pressure. a few lbs make quite a difference in the handling for a so short car.

I never drove a regular coupe and neither an S. Do you have run flat tires? Sport suspension?

I still believe the JCW wing is more about an expensive esthetic add-on than a performance attribute.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:40 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
It's an expensive (hey everything MINI is expensive) until you have the stock spoiler on the coupe or roadster freeze up from freezing rain or snow like mine did last year. Then it's not such an expensive toy. As for RFTires, I ditch them first thing after I take delivery, then send them back to the dealership I just traded my former MINI too. That way you don't takea hit on the trade. At least that's what I did last time.

Oh, the charge for the new spoiler motor, resetting the computor and labor turned out to be in the $900 range. Put your spoiler in the locked up position if you even think about ice.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:30 PM
PHL_FLYERS
3rd Gear
If you have traction problems around curves at about 35-40 MPH, it is not related to the mechanical wing but more your tire pressure. a few lbs make quite a difference in the handling for a so short car.

I never drove a regular coupe and neither an S. Do you have run flat tires? Sport suspension?

I still believe the JCW wing is more about an expensive esthetic add-on than a performance attribute.
Dube53 Like I explained this is my second Coupe. I had a 2012 and traded it for the 2014 Coupe "S" Had the 2012 for about 2 months before changing rims and tires. Went from Run flats to Non Run Flats. Felt a difference in ride. When I traded to the 2014 I put the Run Flats back on the 2012 Coupe. My 2014 had the run flats on for about a week before changed them to non run flats.
I didn't have a traction problem around curves. The Coupe handles well. What I did notice was that below 50 MPH if you don't have the wing up the rear end tends to slide some. With the JCW wing the rear tends to hug the road. Again having 2 Coupes I can say that I feel the difference between the factory wing and the JCW wing. I have also had the frozen pop up wing. Not fun! I'm enjoying my JCW wing and would encourage friends that drive the Coupe to consider the JCW wing. I also have owned and driven the R56.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:04 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Dube53 Like I explained this is my second Coupe. I had a 2012 and traded it for the 2014 Coupe "S" Had the 2012 for about 2 months before changing rims and tires. Went from Run flats to Non Run Flats. Felt a difference in ride. When I traded to the 2014 I put the Run Flats back on the 2012 Coupe. My 2014 had the run flats on for about a week before changed them to non run flats.
I didn't have a traction problem around curves. The Coupe handles well. What I did notice was that below 50 MPH if you don't have the wing up the rear end tends to slide some. With the JCW wing the rear tends to hug the road. Again having 2 Coupes I can say that I feel the difference between the factory wing and the JCW wing. I have also had the frozen pop up wing. Not fun! I'm enjoying my JCW wing and would encourage friends that drive the Coupe to consider the JCW wing. I also have owned and driven the R56.
Why did you replaced the run flats by non run flats? What happens if you have a flat on the freeway? It seems to me you should be in serious trouble with no other option than calling a towing and seriously damaging a wheel.

As for the frozen mechanical wing, you should have checked with your dealer to see if any TSB has been published to fix the problem. It should have been an easy fix under the warranty.

In 1990, I bought a Toyota Supra and during my 5 years of ownership, I never had problem with the headlight covers during winter in Quebec.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:53 AM
minirab
5th Gear
A donut spare wheel and tire will fit behind the passenger seat.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:32 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
[QUOTE=dube53;4041526]Why did you replaced the run flats by non run flats? What happens if you have a flat on the freeway? It seems to me you should be in serious trouble with no other option than calling a towing and seriously damaging a wheel.

With me, I've had MINI JCW's since 2010 and the first thing that I did was ditch the run flats. Almost all tire shops hate them, and won't even try to fix them, if you do get a flat. Replace at even on Tire Rack the cheapest are $250+. I've replaced my RFT's with HanKook, this last time with Continental and have not had a flat. I went on vacation out from Iowa to the Black Hills, thru Wyoming and down into the Colorado Rockies for a week. No problems at all. Lucky, maybe, but I haven't had a flat tire in over 15 years, so I don't worry about it. And remember, with MINIUSA, you do have roadside assistance and if I did have a flat, guess who'd I'd call, right MINI assistance, and have THAT tire fixed.

It's a gamble, but with my track record on tires, I'm not too worried about that. Probably saying that, now I will get a flat tire, as with snow, snow plows digging up all the crap on the roads, this could happen, but I'll drive carefully.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:57 PM
PHL_FLYERS
3rd Gear
Why did you replaced the run flats by non run flats? What happens if you have a flat on the freeway? It seems to me you should be in serious trouble with no other option than calling a towing and seriously damaging a wheel.

As for the frozen mechanical wing, you should have checked with your dealer to see if any TSB has been published to fix the problem. It should have been an easy fix under the warranty.

In 1990, I bought a Toyota Supra and during my 5 years of ownership, I never had problem with the headlight covers during winter in Quebec.
Run flats were replaced to gain a softer quieter ride. I did purchase a donut spare tire just in case I do get a flat and I also carry a patch kit in my trunk.

As for the frozen wing. My Coupe was back at the dealership for repair before I decided to switch it for the JCW wing.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:53 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Run flats were replaced to gain a softer quieter ride. I did purchase a donut spare tire just in case I do get a flat and I also carry a patch kit in my trunk.

As for the frozen wing. My Coupe was back at the dealership for repair before I decided to switch it for the JCW wing.
I understand your point.

The JCW Coupe is probably better suited to the run flats and mechanical wing because of its stiffer tuned suspension and it is the reason I feel it handles without concerns in any driving condition.

I admit the run flats are sometime a bit noisy in town depending of the quality of the pavement but I have in mind it is a small sports car and I am OK with it. It is not an issue on the freeway.

By the way, I know there is an emergency kit under the trunk floor but no space for a spare tire. Where do you store your donut?

Old 02-06-2015, 04:41 PM
PHL_FLYERS
3rd Gear
I understand your point.

The JCW Coupe is probably better suited to the run flats and mechanical wing because of its stiffer tuned suspension and it is the reason I feel it handles without concerns in any driving condition.

I admit the run flats are sometime a bit noisy in town depending of the quality of the pavement but I have in mind it is a small sports car and I am OK with it. It is not an issue on the freeway.

By the way, I know there is an emergency kit under the trunk floor but no space for a spare tire. Where do you store your donut?
Donut fits behind the passenger seat or inside the boot. All of the JCW Coupe's that I have seen all have the JCW wing not the automatic wing. I like driving with the run flat tires but also like the softer ride. I never got rid of my run flats. I switch off and on with them. I have 2 sets of rims. One with non run flat tire and one with.

Quick Reply: R58 John Cooper Works Rear Spoiler