R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 2012 Hardtop S, extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 12:22 PM
Elizwon
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Hardtop S, extended warranty?

Hi!
I'm newbie. I just got a deal at one of New Jersey Mini dealership.
I'm getting 2012 Mini Hardtop S.

I am thinking of getting an extended warranty or maintenance plan.
I am researching on third party providers but haven't got quotes as it is weekend(sunday).

I didn't mention about my interest on the warranties to the dealer as they seem to riff me off. I read discussion threads here and other blogs on the internet but I am confused..

Some facts about the car :
2012 Mini Hardtop S / 34,000mils

1. The car was CPO but the dealership took it out it when it became 2017. I was able to negotiate the price about $1,000. But it is no longer CPO and the manufacturer warranty expired.

2. I know that the car has been well maintained as it was a lease return car and has only one previous owner. But out the door price was expensive than other 2012 Minis. But I'm concerned about the cost of future maintenance or repair on this car.

3. I hope I can keep this car for at least 2 -3 years.

Do I need to buy extended warranties/maintenance plan?
If so, from who? Mini dealership or thrid party(ex. Endurance/Carchex)?
How much would they cost?

Any experience, comments are much appreciated!!
Thanks

Old 01-09-2017, 11:15 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Hello and welcome.

You need to be in this section: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...talk-2007-136/

This is for convertibles of the 2009+ MINI.

Here is info on extended warreties: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-worth-it.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-09-2017, 12:58 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Typically you can only purchase the MINI extended warranty anytime before the standard warranty expires which unfortunately means you are probably not eligible for the MINI extended warranty, nor the MINI extended maintenance plan.

Instead of pre-paying a third party a large sum for repairs that may or may not be required in the future, you could start a "car repair" fund in case something does need repairs. That way, you spend the money required but can save the rest or use it for something else you need to. You hear a lot of horror stories on these forums about all the repairs that these cars need but it is possible to get a great, low hassle one too.

The maintenance plan you probably don't need. If you're mechanically inclined you can do the majority of preventive maintenance on your own for much less than dealer/indie shop would charge. My JCW came with the extended maintenance plan (thanks previous owner) and it's already come in handy for 2 oil changes, brake fluid flush, and spark plugs for free. I had an 08 S and i'd do all these things myself since it was out of warranty, but I admit doing oil changes will be more difficult on the 13 because the coolant tank is much harder to get out of the way without leaking coolant. I like the freedom to have the MINI techs do it for free until 2019 (and $75 for the oil changes in between).