R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Retofit connect/enhanced bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 09:55 AM
Gilberto Rodriguez
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retofit connect/enhanced bluetooth

Hello guys!!

My apologies if this has been asked before.
Im about to pull the trigger on a cooper s cabrio from 2009.
The car is in great condition and it has all the extras. I love it!!
The only thing that bothers me is the lack of audio over bluetooth. i hate cables
The car has bluetooth, a center console usb and aux and sat nav.
The last seven digits of the vin are tx78531 and the radio\bluetooth model is 9229740.
My question is. Can enhanced bluetooth be retrofitted\coded somehow? I dont really care about connected, but the lack of audio over bluetooth would make me think twice, which sucks as im getting a great deal.

have a great day you all and please help me out or point me in the right direction

best regards,

Gilberto

Old 03-25-2015, 05:00 AM
Adam1724
Neutral
You can choose to have audio playback using Bluetooth or usb/aux. I've used both and did not notice any sound difference. I prefer the sub/aux so my phone will charge too.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:36 PM
Gilberto Rodriguez
Neutral
Originally Posted by Adam1724
You can choose to have audio playback using Bluetooth or usb/aux. I've used both and did not notice any sound difference. I prefer the sub/aux so my phone will charge too.
Hey man!

Thanks for the answer!

Unfortunately the car does not allow to play audio over bluetooth. Works only for the phone (Calls and so on)

So what I would be interested in doing is retrofiting enhanced bluetooth or adding a third party adapter that would let me play audio over bluetooth.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Adam1724
Neutral
Yes it does you just have to un select the sub/aux port and select the Bluetooth box.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:30 AM
Gilberto Rodriguez
Neutral
Hey man!

Thanks again!
I'm afraid I am a little confused. I was under the impression that to be able to play Audio over Bluetooth an extra option was to be installed when te car was order.
The "enhanced bluetooth"

Where can I unselect the usb/aux bow?

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2015, 05:53 AM
americo11
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have don't have bluetooth option you can buy a cheap MPOW ($16) from amazon and that plugs into your aux in I also purchased a Pac ground isolator which connects between the bluetooth module and the aux (it basically filters out noise)
so as not to get any whir noise from engine etc...option ..press the audio button under speedo...then scroll to aux press button to keep it on aux next hit the little button on the mpow and it makes a sound letting you know you are connected next you go into your phones bluetooth settings and connect to the mpow ..done....you can now play your music bluetooth through your radio.....you can not scroll up or down using steering wheel buttons, that you have to do with phone itself. So for the mare price of say $30 you have bluetooth streaming from your phone and the phone music will still pause when a call comes through and continue after call has stopped.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:36 AM
Gilberto Rodriguez
Neutral
Originally Posted by americo11
If you have don't have bluetooth option you can buy a cheap MPOW ($16) from amazon and that plugs into your aux in I also purchased a Pac ground isolator which connects between the bluetooth module and the aux (it basically filters out noise)
so as not to get any whir noise from engine etc...option ..press the audio button under speedo...then scroll to aux press button to keep it on aux next hit the little button on the mpow and it makes a sound letting you know you are connected next you go into your phones bluetooth settings and connect to the mpow ..done....you can now play your music bluetooth through your radio.....you can not scroll up or down using steering wheel buttons, that you have to do with phone itself. So for the mare price of say $30 you have bluetooth streaming from your phone and the phone music will still pause when a call comes through and continue after call has stopped.

Cool!
Thanks a lot man!
Its by far the best option I have read so far. I really appreciate.
Still, do you know if its possible to code/retrofit enhanced bluetooth?

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2015, 10:17 AM
americo11
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry I don't but maybe some one who is more knowledgeable about the subject will pop on....In all honesty the way I stream my music is fine for me I used the same method when i had my Boxster. I hate having wires everywhere so that is why I opted this method.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:25 AM
Gilberto Rodriguez
Neutral
Originally Posted by americo11
Sorry I don't but maybe some one who is more knowledgeable about the subject will pop on....In all honesty the way I stream my music is fine for me I used the same method when i had my Boxster. I hate having wires everywhere so that is why I opted this method.
Yeah! I hate cables too. Thats why Ill probably follow your advice.
The only reason why im interested in getting the enhanced bluetooth coded is having the hability to use the wheel buttons to skip my music

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2015, 04:00 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Gilberto Rodriguez
My question is. Can enhanced bluetooth be retrofitted\coded somehow?
Not for a 2009 model. MINI Connected requires the newer electronics that were upgraded in 2011 model year. MINI Connected is required for bluetooth audio streaming.

Last edited by rkw; 03-29-2015 at 05:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tsippi (01-27-2022)
Old 03-30-2015, 07:46 AM
wkearney99
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rkw
Not for a 2009 model. MINI Connected requires the newer electronics that were upgraded in 2011 model year. MINI Connected is required for bluetooth audio streaming.
What about a 2014 R57, without Connected?

It has the usb/aux input option but, unfortunately, the USB socket does not deliver enough amperage to charge the phone (Moto X). Nor do I want to get into using an audio cable, as that clutters up/complicates putting the phone into the mount. I have a charger that has a bluetooth receiver and an aux-output. That, also, does not have enough amperage to charge the phone. This certainly has a lot to do with the phone, but I'd love to find a proper way to use bluetooth media playback AND charge it.

It seems supremely short-sighted to have support for Bluetooth phone but not media playback.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:24 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by wkearney99
What about a 2014 R57, without Connected?
Nope. MINI/BMW have a way of packaging things so that customers buy expensive options they didn't want.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:08 AM
thesilkiest
2nd Gear
I have one on order...

It's supposed to be seamless and sound is apparently excellent.
I will post back here when it arrives.
Patec® USB Bluetooth Wireless Audio Music Receiver Adapter w/ 3.5mm Stereo Output for Headphones Portable Speakers Home and Car Stereo Systems - Black: Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories Patec® USB Bluetooth Wireless Audio Music Receiver Adapter w/ 3.5mm Stereo Output for Headphones Portable Speakers Home and Car Stereo Systems - Black: Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories

BTW have your MINI checked out by a 3rd party. We bought our 2010 from a dealer and then had our mechanic look at it. A little bit backwards. It was lower risk because it was a Mini Dealership. They had documented all the inspection details and it had an extended warranty on a used vehicle. But when we spoke with our mechanic on her first checkup they showed some concern as some of the older MINIS have issues. Ours turned out OK but...

Last edited by thesilkiest; 04-03-2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason: more stuff to add
Old 04-03-2015, 02:21 PM
laforze
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts