R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Winterizing my Cooper Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:05 AM
cmdycrzr
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Winterizing my Cooper Convertible

I will be storing my convertible in a storage unit over the winter months and was wondering if others do this as well. What steps do you take to winterize it?

I plan to visit the storage unit every couple of weeks to start it up and to check it out for any problems.

Other than throwing some Stabil or a gas stabilizer in the tank, any other things I should do to ensure everything will be fine come April?

Old 09-30-2014, 11:13 AM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That sucks having to store your MINI for the winter! Here for winter we roll down our windows, roll the sun roof open and enjoy the extra power our supercharges make sucking in the 60 degree air instead of the 115 degree power sucking heat.
Make sure you give her a warm blanket and tuck her in tight.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:39 AM
cmdycrzr
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
WNY winters, let alone the salt used in the streets, can be detrimental to a car's health.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:24 AM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I keep my Mini going all winter, but my wife stores her Boxster. We dump a gas stabilizer in, put on a trickle battery charger (not sure what the heck it is), put on a fresh coat of wax, and put a cover on it until March, or April, or May...It is a heated storage facility, so we've never had an issue over the last two winters. We always wait to take it back out until two good rains (to get all the salt off the roads). She just mentioned this morning that it's about time to put it away for the winter.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:43 AM
67morris
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Overinflate your tires, buy wheel chocks (don't use ebrake), buy a car cover (definitely keep it covered), and buy a battey tender from Harbor Freight (cheap and it works great). Also, it is recommended to change oil before storing.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:14 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
1. Don't use ebrake . Frozen rotors to pad issue.

2. Car Cover 82150445409 or 82150445408 McMINI verison s

McMINI Car cover. Indoor and outdoor version linked above.

3. Change Oil

4. Battery tendor or keep the ground cable off the terminal. But then you will loose the memory setting for everything.

5. Watch when you do get the MINI out so rodents did not make a nest in the engine bay or above the cabin filter in the HVAC box. ( if the storage place has issues ).

Those are all good tips.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Redhotz
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have the money, get a Car Capsule. No dust or rodents.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:57 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stored a miata for the winter for 12 years. I traded that car in for my mini. With 50 k on it in near perfect condition. And I got retail+ for it.

This is what you do: ( or better said this is what I did )
A) full tank of gas with stabuil As stated drive for a few miles before finally putting it away An empty tank is way more dangerous than a full one.
B) when you pick the spot where it will sit inflate tires to 50 psi. Jack car up and put remnant carpet squares under the tires then let car down. Helps avoid flat spots and cold temp damage to tires
C) by a box of fabric softener sheets from the dollar store. Put a few under the seats. Stick some behind the dash panels and behind the glove box throw some in the boot. I laid some on the valve cover and the under hood fuse box and what ever big harness I saw. Critters LOVE wire insulation and the sound deadening padding. Your car will also smell nice when you unwrap it Critters don't like the smell or texture of the sheets.
D) I drained the oil and refilled with new where it sat no filter change. When I unwrapped it I drove it for about an hour then did a proper oil and filter change again This deals with the condensation
E). DO NOT run the care every month. This only add to condensation that is not properly burned off.
F) connect a batter,y tender.
G) either chock the wheels or leave in gear. Do not store with brake on.
H) wash and wax before you put it away.
I ) put a rag with a rubber band over the exhaust and intake. Critter thing again.
J ) I covered mine even though it was in the garage.
K ) remember when parking it that you can probably scooch it over to either side of the garage so that you have ample walk way. Remember your not moving it so it can hug the walls and it will give you room to get the tree out for Christmas.
L) make a note to remember to get it inspected right away after you unwrap if your state smog test is due over the winter months

Now for the most important. Write a note and stick it on the steering wheel that says DO NOT START. !!!! Tire pressure / rags/ oil / sheets / battery charger. Etc etc You get the idea.

( some may say this step is silly and it is. Or so I thought until My friend of a friends wife called me after her husband had passed and asked me to help her sell his car that was stored. I went over to the house not knowing what to expect. Corvette covered up Guess what I found on the steering wheel. Yup a note to remind him to undo everything he did. Found every thing he said You just never know. ).

YMMV. but my cars survived the hairy NY winter months very well.

Regards.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 10-09-2014, 02:36 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
" Critters LOVE wire insulation and the sound deadening padding. " +1 they do, that why when storing you have to close things off and check out the storage location. Mice love the MINI engine wires.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172