R57 :: Cabrio Talk (2009+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R57) discussion.

R57 Any feedback on SmartTop Roof Control?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:28 PM
MrElusive
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any feedback on SmartTop Roof Control?

Hi,

While I am waiting for my car to come in and browse the web for all things MINI, I stumbled on the SmartTop roof mod which enhances functionality of the roof and windows, inside the car and with the remote key fob.

Has anybody tried this? Does anybody have this on their vehicle? Any cons to this? It looks really cool and installation does not seem difficult.

Thanks,
MrElusive

Old 09-29-2014, 11:05 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
There was something like that for the R52 but it didn't last very long and I haven't heard anything about it for a few years. As computerized as these buggies are nowadays making those kinds of changes is begging for an altercation with the original system mapping. Unless you have a shop that really knows what they're doing, I recommend enjoying the topless motoring experience just the way it is currently presented to you. There are just too many horror stories in this forum about guys making electrical/electronic changes to their cars then complaining about vicious gremlins creeping in and causing all sorts of problems.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:13 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The R57 Convertible offers much of that functionality as standard, but I guess the SmartTop makes it easier to use.

Your roof can be put up or down at speeds up to 20mph, but you do have to hold the button all the time - I believe the SmartTop does it with just one push.

You can put the roof of an R57 down remotely. Press and hold the unlock button to open the sunroof section, then release, press again and hold to open the full roof. However this only works at fairly short range and before it has finished putting the roof down, you will have walked up to the car. If you touch anything (eg, open a door or the trunk) it stops. So in reality, unless you are aiming to impress children, you wait until you've got to the car, drive off and put the roof down on the move.

You cannot put the roof of an R57 up remotely (as standard), but you can put your key in the driver's door lock and turn it to first lock the car and then put the roof up.

Making the roof respond to just one push of a button (instead of push and hold) would be nice, but it's hardly a game-changer.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:15 AM
MrElusive
2nd Gear
Thanks for responses. If I don't die of waiting, when the car comes in, I will just play with it as-is for a few months. If I feel that I really need the extra functionality then I will look into it more closely.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:09 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
The most important thing to do upon receipt is to get the top DOWN, get out of the burbs and MOTOR.
Here are some URLs to help you get started enjoying the most out of your motor not necessarily in priority order.
http://www.lightinsight.com/ (also available at Way Motor Works)
http://mini-cooper-parts.blogspot.co...ni-cooper.html
http://www.motorcycleroads.us/index.html
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Old 09-30-2014, 12:24 PM
MrElusive
2nd Gear
Thanks for the references, Brick. I'll order the Light In Sight thingy now.

I am trading in my 2011 Subaru STI so it is going to be a big kick in the ***** in terms of driving performance, practicality, all-weather drive-ability, safety, and God knows what else.

But I am throwing all that out the window for pure top-down driving pleasure.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:31 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Soon as the 'Zen of MINI motoring' kicks in you will itch for greater twisty road handling. At that time you needs acquire the 19 or 22 MM adjustable rear sway bar (RSB) and a set of KONI FSD struts. The struts are generally found on a couple of forum vendors for at least half to near half price. Those are the best two mods for the bang and buck you can make.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:18 PM
wmsue
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put my top down using the remote unlock button often. I'll stand close to the car and hold the unlock button down, then I can walk atleast 50 feet from the car and it still works. I can't start using the remote from 50 feet but it does hold the signal once started.
Works great in a parking lot. BY the time I return the shopping cart, the top is down.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:49 PM
none
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a smarttop and use it all the time. I usually drive with the top down but often need the top up when I park (too many birds)

The install was very easy and I haven't had any complications during the last couple years since I installed it.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:15 PM
MrElusive
2nd Gear
My MINI finished production today and is "currently awaiting a carrier" or something like that. Looks like I'm in the home stretch.