R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Left high beam malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 10:20 AM
lukgar1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left high beam malfunction

Hello Everyone,

Hoping I can gather some insight but I just installed the headlights below and swapped out the bulbs with HELLA H9 HIGH PERFORMANCE 2.0 BULBS and I keep getting a "left high beam malfunction" warning every now and then. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Also when I do have the high beams on I hear a bit of a buzzing noise and I'm not sure if it has to do with the high beams in these headlights having a motorized flap instead of a separate bulb.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-spyder-p...-yd-mc07-drl~/

Old 01-23-2017, 11:27 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Hello, I can help. Did you have halogen headlights before the swap? Just want to make sure. Yea, should not be a buzzing noise.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-23-2017, 11:45 AM
lukgar1
1st Gear
Yes, just the stock headlights. The buzzing only happens when the high beams are on. Can hear it from both outside and in the car.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:00 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
The little flaps are up and you might hear a little noise from the motors. Its very faint. On the low beam left bulb, make sure the bulb is all the way in on the plug and the plug is secure, sounds like the bulb is intermediate or might be bad. Does the bulb filament go on and off on start up, like its broken but then connects?

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-23-2017, 04:43 PM
lukgar1
1st Gear
So I unplugged and then plugged the bulbs back in so that they were nice and snug and so far I am not getting the high beam malfunction warnings. Also, I left the headlights on while the car was off and there was no buzzing noise at all when the high beams were selected. However, when I turn the car back on there is a distinct buzzing noise when the high beams are on both inside and outside of the car. The buzzing just has me concerned about a short or some other damage I might be doing to the wiring. Any thoughts on that?

I also noticed some constant flickering/vibration near the top edge of the light spread cut off while the car is on(not observed when the car is off). I can also see this if I stand in front of the car at an angle. Not sure if that has to do with the vibration of the car while on or if there is something I can tweak to eliminate it?

Thanks for all the help, you guys have been great

Old 01-24-2017, 12:19 PM
lukgar1
1st Gear
So I turned the car on this morning and received the left high bean malfunction warning again. Is there a way I can isolate the problem to know for sure if it is the bulbs? They do not flicker on and off when I first started the car. They come on right away.

Also I have the ziza led front position parking lights, do these normally get hot to the touch? Thanks!

Old 01-24-2017, 01:31 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Swap the bulbs and see if it does it to the other side, might just be a bad bulb filament. Then start the car up and see if it does it again.

On the LEDs they are canbus, so no bulb out error. Watch they are small but can get hot as they are a very strong little led. They dissipate heat and cool very quick. So its normal.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:43 PM
lukgar1
1st Gear
I swapped out the bulbs this morning but it is still giving me the "left high beam malfunction" warning. I made sure again every connection was nice and snug. Again they give off a distinct buzz when the high beams are on and the car is also on vs when the high beams are on and the car is off.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:26 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, thats weird. Swap the old headlight, you dont have to take out your new one. Plug it in with the old bulb and see what happens. Still has issues. Call us or contact or customer service team and give them all the info and pics. They can help you out better if you need a replacement.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:52 PM
lukgar1
1st Gear
Yeah I plugged it in today with the old bulb because it was warmer out and the malfunction warning went away. So it seems like after both the bulb swap and the oem headlight plug in, it is probably the headlight.