R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 BSH Torque Arm Re-Engineered

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 04:43 AM
Gipper
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
BSH Torque Arm Re-Engineered

I added the NM torque arm inserts and was somewhat underwhelmed. To be honest, I couldn't tell a difference in how the car felt. I saw the BSH torque arm and I thought "Hmmmmm...", but I read the horror stories about vibration so I stayed away. Well, one came up for sale used, so I thought "What the heck?" and I bought it.

Now I'm not an engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once, so I looked at the BSH arm and thought that the issue was probably with the solid small end. If I could only get some rubber damping in there it might work...

So, I drilled out the small end to 1/2" and used an angle grinder to take off the shoulders (pictures #1 & 2). Then, I inserted a section of 1/2" heater hose in the end and got some rubber washers from Lowe's (picture #3). The bolt fits very snug in the heater hose and I greased it up to help it articulate. The hose is compressed tightly by the bolt and rides on the shoulder so hopefully it does not disintegrate. I was only able to get 3 rubber washers to fit in the space once occupied by the shoulders(picture #4).

Now, I never tried the BSH arm as was, trusting the harsh reviews, but I can tell you what it is like now. Idle - car seems louder, so there is more vibration, but there are no rattles or tingly steering wheel, so the vibrations are sound only and not tactile. Driving around, there is quite a difference. Throttle inputs are immediate, and torque steer is eliminated, even when accelerating hard out of a corner. Shifting is much improved and the entire car feels a lot more solid. No vibrations anywhere in the rev range. I love it.

Now, of course, your mileage may vary, don't try this at home, offer void in Alaska and Hawaii, and any other disclaimers you can think up.

Eric

Attached Thumbnails BSH Torque Arm Re-Engineered-bsh-1.jpg   BSH Torque Arm Re-Engineered-bsh-2.jpg   BSH Torque Arm Re-Engineered-bsh-3.jpg   BSH Torque Arm Re-Engineered-bsh-4.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Gipper:
bugeye1031 (10-16-2019), JPR60 (11-03-2021)
Old 01-16-2017, 06:12 AM
Gipper
2nd Gear
UPDATE: My wife uses the car to commute (which is why vibration is a bad thing), and she called me after getting to work.

Her - "What did you do to the car?"
Me - "Nothing... why?"
Her - "It just seemed like there was a lot more power. And it steered better. Felt more... I dunno... stable."
Me - "That's interesting. Anything else?"
(and there was, but not about the car)

Full disclosure, there is quite a bit LESS power, because I have the Manic tune set back to stock as I will be getting an inspection sticker tomorrow and I need all of the sensors to trip today. But, if there was any unpleasant vibration, I'm sure I would have heard about it.

Eric

The following users liked this post:
bugeye1031 (10-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2017, 05:37 PM
ryansonfire
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm glad it worked out for you. i felt bad selling it to you knowing how bad the vibrations were, but it looks like you fixed what bsh couldnt. that company should refund everyone who bought this, tell us theyre sorry and fix it like you did here.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:48 AM
Gipper
2nd Gear
ryansonfire, don't feel bad, I knew what I was getting into with the part. It was an experiment and I was prepared to fail but luckily it worked great.

There was a post where somebody summed it up perfectly: NM is too cold, and BSH is too hot. I was trying to find a streetable happy medium, and I think I did.

Now, I don't think the BSH torque arm is terrible in stock form at all, it's just a little too harsh for daily drivers. It does work as advertised. I just added vibration damping at the small end and posted about it in case anybody else wanted to make their BSH torque arm more streetable.

Eric

Old 01-17-2017, 04:34 PM
Gipper
2nd Gear
Another benefit I hadn't even thought of but just discovered - the car is more stable over bumps. It is easier for the suspension to damp out oscillations when it isn't also dealing with the engine moving around a bunch.

I was driving it tonight and I went over a section where big trucks brake before a stoplight and roll up the pavement. Usually, I tense up when banging over this area, but tonight the car took it easily with very little fuss.

This mod has changed the car more than any other mod I've done (RSB, SSK, suspension, tune, etc.). Well worth the short time and money I invested.

Eric

Old 01-17-2017, 05:25 PM
sgscomps
4th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
I too read the horror stories about the BSH torque being too stiff so I opted to used the Powerflex street versions of inserts on both the large and small end. I was very happy with the results. The small end bushing required pressing the factory insert out and inserting the Powerflex bushing.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:05 AM
Gipper
2nd Gear
Yeah, my original plan was to use the Powerflex bushing on the small end, but it is too small for it - there would be very little material left once I drilled it out for the bushing.

I've heard the Powerflex is stiffer than the NM - How are the vibrations on your setup?

Eric

Old 01-19-2017, 09:03 AM
Bleedsblue
2nd Gear
Props to Gipper for a little ingenuity! That's pretty interesting, though I agree that BSH's part should not be belittled or bad-mouthed because it's too harsh on a daily. It's a solid arm clearly designed for the purpose-built weekend or track Mini.

A true solution would be a nice, lubricated spherical ball joint in the small end Gipper modified.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Gipper
2nd Gear
I'm not sure it needs a ball joint, as the movement is only up and down. Even the stock piece is a metal sleeve isolated by rubber. In my mind, a true solution would be a small end that mimics the big end, with a metal sleeve in urethane.

But, not much of a market for this item anymore, so nobody is going to come out with a new and improved part.

I'm thinking of trying to improve the stock torque arm by using adhesive to secure the NM inserts (my guess is that they flex away when the arm moves) and adding the Powerflex bushing to the small end. I'll post my results.

Eric

Old 01-21-2017, 08:43 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
We've had many a customers complain they are too hard so we have a warning on our website about it.
But we have had a few customers drill out the small end and just use the small end powerflex bushing and get it to make it better.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...tor-mount.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
bugeye1031 (10-16-2019)
Old 01-22-2017, 05:37 AM
jackski2
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great idea, good write up, congrats and thanks Gipper. I have to do something to my car. After the Manic tune its sure more obvious.

@ sgscomps did you use the race or street powerflex on the big end ?

Does anyone else get this web page not available when they try waymotorworks. I have never in over a year been able to get on their site. Do they block to Canada or something ?

Old 01-22-2017, 09:08 AM
Gipper
2nd Gear
Way,

When I eyeballed the small end of the BSH against the stocker, it looked like there would be about 1/8" of material left if I drilled out the small end for the Powerflex bushing. So you know people who have done it and it worked for them?

Eric

Old 01-22-2017, 07:41 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by Gipper
Way,

When I eyeballed the small end of the BSH against the stocker, it looked like there would be about 1/8" of material left if I drilled out the small end for the Powerflex bushing. So you know people who have done it and it worked for them?

Eric
Yup others have done it. There was a shop in California that would actually do it for customers as they found them too hard without putting a bushing in the small end.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-23-2017, 09:35 AM
Bleedsblue
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gipper
I'm not sure it needs a ball joint, as the movement is only up and down. Even the stock piece is a metal sleeve isolated by rubber. In my mind, a true solution would be a small end that mimics the big end, with a metal sleeve in urethane.
Eric
You'd be surprised; from the factory BMW will put a self-lubricating ball joint in a spot like that. The primary movement is definitely up and down, but there is probably still deflection. Urethane is certainly an easier solution, if less long-lasting.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:30 AM
Gipper
2nd Gear
Yes, but a ball joint would still need to be isolated in rubber or urethane to dampen out vibrations.

Eric

Old 01-24-2017, 10:31 AM
Bleedsblue
2nd Gear
Not on a Becauseracecar build

Old 02-08-2017, 07:09 AM
Gipper
2nd Gear
I decided to tinker a bit more, so I worked on the stock arm while the BSH was in the car. I was never happy with the NM inserts, so I decided to cement them in place. My theory was that they were flexing out of place, so the adhesive was added to keep them in place. I also added the Powerflex small end bushing.

So here is what I found: I never tested the BSH stock, but somebody once posted that it brings the torque arm up to an 11 out of 10, so I will stick with that.
Stock - 1
Stock with NM inserts - 4
Stock with NM inserts cemented and Powerflex small bushing - 8 (seems just right for me)
BSH re-engineered - 9 (some vibrations started in as the heater hose "broke in")
BSH - 11

I may also try the vibra-tech and see if I can put a Powerflex bushing in the small end of the BSH. I like to experiment.

Eric

Attached Thumbnails BSH Torque Arm Re-Engineered-torque-arm.jpg  
bugeye1031 (08-30-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 10:25 AM
donniedarko
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Yup others have done it. There was a shop in California that would actually do it for customers as they found them too hard without putting a bushing in the small end.
Love to know. Mine has broken in but still gives NVH at certain rpm.

If anyone knows of the shop please forward if you could. Cheers

Old 09-13-2017, 04:26 AM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I was thinking since the BSH is too stiff, im wondering if the NM Torque Arm using the Powerflex bushings on the smaller end would be a homerun! Anybody try this bushing swap on the NM one?

Old 09-20-2017, 11:17 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
What is the best way to remove the vibrations with NM ones?
Since it is installed 6 months ago, there is no way to get it quiet.

Any mod about drilling the insert to try get it quieter?

Old 09-20-2017, 11:51 AM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Did you use the NM with a stock bracket or with the aftermarket ones discussed above? I hadn't heard that the NM inserts alone causes vibrations.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:15 PM
ryansonfire
1st Gear
Why are you dummys still trying to make this work? It sucks and will always suck. Don't buy the inserts unless you want to make your car undrivable.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:30 PM
KCLARK
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We've had many a customers complain they are too hard so we have a warning on our website about it.
But we have had a few customers drill out the small end and just use the small end powerflex bushing and get it to make it better.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...tor-mount.html

are people reading so fast they don't SEE THIS from WMW

Old 09-20-2017, 12:30 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by R56devotion
Did you use the NM with a stock bracket or with the aftermarket ones discussed above? I hadn't heard that the NM inserts alone causes vibrations.
Stock bracket.
The vibration on steering wheel and foot well is unbearable when idle, still after 6 months (no change)