R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Bost-pressure control deviation, plausibility!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 06:47 PM
eliseo1981
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bost-pressure control deviation, plausibility!! HELP!!!

I took my mini cooper S 2009 to the dealer to get the high pressure fuel pump changed. The car had no errors, was not on limp mode or anything however every once in a while in traffic I had an error due to the HPFP, so since I was still under the 130k extended warranty for it I had it replaced for free.

After that I had my car on limp mode, was told this was due to having a screwed up diverter valve. They wanted 300 to change it, however I found one online from WMW for $65 which had great ratings, and had supposedly better performance.

Anyways I changed it and cleared the code myself, after running the car for about 10 miles it goes in limp mode again. I get no errors with my scanner but the dealer printed the error which is

Code 002885 DME: Boost-Pressure control deviation, plausibility. I checked for any disconnected hoses, I cleaned my air filer, changed spark plugs but still no luck.

PLEASE HELP SOMEONE!

Old 01-11-2017, 03:36 AM
sijeffery
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As anyone here can tell you this is a bear to find.

Recheck the diverter valve, to make sure the electrical connection is seated well. If that doesn't work then.......

I'd check the turbo. Take the intake hose off and look at the veins to see if they are damaged also see if it has too much movement up and down. The veins may have touched the housing.

Then look at the the turbo actuator to see if it has the proper adjustment, although rare, the nuts can come lose and take the waste gate out of adjustment. should have about 6 inches from base of actuator to center of pivot on the wastage.

Check for waste gate movement, with a vacuum pump. Actuator should have about 13mm movement. If you have an inspection camera you can take a peek at the waste gate through the o2 bung in the down pipe.

I chased this same code for 6 months. started with the diverter valve, which work for a while, then my inlet hose broke down and went through the turbo. Replaced the turbo's CHRA but was down on power, checked the waste gate and found it had lost a nut and was out of adjustment. Good luck tracking this down

Old 01-11-2017, 06:03 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Check the intake tube from the air filter to the turbo. They can crack and sometimes it hard to see without flexing the tube.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:55 AM
eliseo1981
2nd Gear
The intake tube from the air filter to the turbo is an AEM one which is made of steal and looks clean with no issues on it. I think its ok, I looked for other leaks too.

I really hope it is not the turbo, I have a friend looking at it today to see if he sees any visual damage on it. I could not see any damage myself. I printed the info from sijeffery so we can follow those steps, hopefully we determine the issue.

I just find it really weird that I only got this limp mode and error after the change of the high pressure fuel pump. I know there is always a possibility the turbo went out but everything was perfect until I got my car back and was driving it home from the dealer. I have a feeling something was accidentally unplugged or damaged but obviously I cannot prove any of this, and there is always a possibility it just happened minutes after I got my car back or during their testing.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:54 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I would agree that something didn't get hooked up properly or came loose.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:31 AM
eliseo1981
2nd Gear
I found this diagram online, the lines actually go right by the HPFP which is what they replaced, I am thinking something got unplugged here however I need to remove some things to get to see the other end of these lines. What do you guys think, could this be the culprit?

Old 01-12-2017, 05:30 PM
sijeffery
1st Gear
Short answer maybe.

Check that vacuum line that runs to the waste gate actuator. Without the vacuum the turbo will not spool up.then check the line to the pressure converter.

Last edited by sijeffery; 01-12-2017 at 05:32 PM. Reason: add info.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:46 AM
sijeffery
1st Gear
Did this get solved?

Old 01-22-2017, 10:03 PM
eliseo1981
2nd Gear
UPDATE----

So after looking everywhere for a possible issue I ended up taking it to a mechanic who my family knows and is known to be super cheap in cost. So I assumed he was not going to find the issue as most cars are not European that he tends to work on however he did find the issue!!

He found a disconnected hose that went to the wastegate, apparently under the air filter housing there is this metal thing I couldn't take off (I think its the manifold), anyways under there is where the issue was, he just re-connected it and all works perfect now.

I do noticed that I don't see boost higher than 6psi, and at idle I have -11psi boost, does this mean my turbo pushes 17psi? Should I be seeing something higher than 6psi and if so how do I test (hard acceleration etc)?

Old 01-23-2017, 11:59 AM
sijeffery
1st Gear
Good news that's it's running better. I'm not sure if the area you're referring too where the Jose came from. As for the boost it appears that the waste gate is either out of adjustment or worn out.