R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Aftermarket Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 07:03 PM
AFN704
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Clutch

I have an R56 2012 and am wonder what a good and affordable clutch would be. I want after market and would also like to know the benefit of a single mass flywheel. What you guys say is probably what I'll do. Btw, I'm manic stage 2 and am getting my car ready do track. It is also my daily though and I don't want the most expensive clutch and flywheel on the market. Thanks in advance. Links would be nice.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:17 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
If you want aftermarket the OS Giken we have found to be the most reliable.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/os-gik...-cooper-s.html

Now with that said aftermarket clutches are more race oriented. So smoothness for daily use will not match as smooth as the stock clutch is. So you need to be ready for it to be harder to pull away from a stop smoothly.

For a street car I'd still go with the stock clutch as they are the most reliable and easiest for daily use.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/oem-cl...-cooper-s.html

Otherwise the other aftermarkets we have found just not to be reliable enough. So we won't even install them in our shop as customers are pissed when they come back a couple thousand miles needing it replaced again.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-01-2016, 07:26 PM
AFN704
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
If you want aftermarket the OS Giken we have found to be the most reliable.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/os-gik...-cooper-s.html

Now with that said aftermarket clutches are more race oriented. So smoothness for daily use will not match as smooth as the stock clutch is. So you need to be ready for it to be harder to pull away from a stop smoothly.

For a street car I'd still go with the stock clutch as they are the most reliable and easiest for daily use.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/oem-cl...-cooper-s.html

Otherwise the other aftermarkets we have found just not to be reliable enough. So we won't even install them in our shop as customers are pissed when they come back a couple thousand miles needing it replaced again.
How long do the os giken ones last? I intend to turn it into a track car. I just need to buy a truck and a trailer for daily use. But it is a daily for now. I've heard the Valeo single mass fly wheel is good but maybe I heard wrong. How long do the os giken clutches last normally last? I wanted to get the quaife lsd and a nice clutch and fly wheel. If you really recommend against it though I'll just get the quaife lsd and call it a day.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:27 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
The Valeo clutch and Flywheel is only for the R53 so that won't work for you.

The Giken will last based on how you drive it. If you drive it more on and off clutch pedal rather than trying to slip it and be smooth daily it will last much longer.

No matter which way you go the Quaife will be a must as that will get all the power you have to the ground no matter if you have 200 or 300 so it's a no brainer.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-02-2016, 09:55 AM
AFN704
3rd Gear
Is it better to slip the stock clutch rather than trying to be smooth. I don't care about it being smooth. I just always thought shifting really fast was worse for the clutch. I' excited about the quaife though.