R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Cnt catless down pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 11:52 AM
AFN704
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cnt catless down pipe question

Saw this online for $189. Is this worth it? I was going to get the milltek but it's a lot more. I'm assuming the brand doesn't matter as its just a pipe. As long as it fits I'm good. I understand that I'll probably get a check engine light which is fine. I'm going manic stage 2. If I won't get one from this let me know cause I could put it on sooner. What do you guys think? Go for it or don't be cheap. I think with this it should matter though. By the way I have a invidia q300 exhaust so will it fit with this aND how much louder will it be?

Old 04-30-2016, 02:36 PM
cguzz
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like junk to me thin flanges and 3 pcs welded??? I bought a used WMW one here for less. Too much work IMO to cut corners...Look for a used one mariocart or wmw,,,there are others.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:54 PM
AFN704
3rd Gear
What do you think about the Milltek? I'll have to see how much the WMW ones are. I figured it was just a simple pipe so it wouldn't really matter but I guess not. Does anyone actually own one? I can't find review anywhere good or bad. Mariocart is expensive although you get what you pay for. I like that fact that they are spaced so they won;t throw codes. If anyone has a used one I'd gladly take it off their hands for a fair price.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:19 PM
cguzz
3rd Gear
http://www.outmotoring.com/milltek-t...e-catless.html
This looks like the same junk.

If you're getting a manic tune no worries about codes. WMW was at $300 last time I looked.

Good luck!

Old 04-30-2016, 03:31 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I had the WMW DP and it was great quality. Bought it for $300 new from his website.

Only lasted for one day on my car, was just too loud for me.

I highly recommend the WMW DP. Worth the extra money.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:38 PM
AFN704
3rd Gear
I'll just go with that then. I haven't cheaped out with anything on the car so far so no sense in starting now. Was it really that loud though? I don't want my car to sound like a Honda with a fart can on the back. If it's a nice rumble kind of loud I can live with it. Did you have an exhaust with it as well? I'm doing it in the name of performance though so it's alright. The only reason i would like it to not throw codes is because i don't have the money to do this and the tune at the same time. So I'd like to be able to install this and use it while i get to my tune. If that is not an option that is not a deal breaker. I'll just either have to live with it and hope that code isn't covering up any other ones or just be patient (not my strong suit).

Old 04-30-2016, 07:38 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I placed an ordered the wmw dp about two months ago, it wasn't available - something to do with fabricator. Way ended up sending the milltek in its place because he didnt know how long it would take to get. It does look kinda hookie, I imagine they tried to mimic the factory dp a little to much, but they did use a thick gauge tubing, welds are obscenely heavy, the turbo flange is 3/8" thick, o2 bungs are very robust.
I still didn't like the look of it, but I came across a post on here where someone got theirs ceramic coated and it looks 10x better, ended up doing the same. This was the post , not mine
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-downpipe.html

Would definitely go with the WMW catless dp tho

Last edited by randeez; 04-30-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:42 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
The DP doesn't sound bad in my opinion and don't worry it doesn't sound rice. It was just too loud for me.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:42 AM
cguzz
3rd Gear
Yep it's loud as any hollow, free flowing pipe. I'm Manic stage 2 and have a Quicksilver exhaust and even had a added a resonator. Still kinda of loud but I've gotten used to it. The drone is minimal.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:14 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Figured I'd drop in this thread after having my stock oem downpipe gutted. The only reason for my gut was because the catalytic converter failed, was throwing a code, and I didn't want to worry about the downpipe becoming blocked over constant use in turn not allowing exhaust to flow properly due to the platinum from within, and I wasn't about to spend $1300 just for OEM replacement. It was also cheaper than spending $300 on aftermarket. A local shop that I go to, who did my straight pipe install, did it for $150.

I figured it would be loud, but not this loud. I am running an Invidia Q300 with no resonator (straight pipe installed) and I think my baby idles (cold start) like a v8, operating temps like a v6.

Low RPM: to me sounds ok, but definitely not ricer feel, you do however get exhaust notes (pops and crackles)
Mid-range: it sounds as if it you have the cat back on
WOT and high RPM: Higher sound (different then being loud, it sounds as if the cat is back on but with a different tone), w/ burble and then of course it's insanely loud . I honestly didn't think that this turbo 4 cylinder would put out this much noise. It is so much louder, that in the car at high RPM it hurts my ears and it has awful drone...

I am putting the resonator back on tonight, I hope that it tames it some what. I remember when I put the Invidia system on w/ resonator and stock DP, that the exhaust sounded stock, so I am hopeful that putting the resonator back on will do some justice.

At lunch today I could go out to the car and take a video w/ my phone to provide an overall feel of idle sound. For me I really need to get a friend to drive the car so that I can hear it down the street to see how loud it is as a bystander. I'll try and do that tonight before taking the straight pipe out.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:27 AM
randeez
4th Gear
i thought i was just getting old

swapped out just the downpipe for catless. stock exhaust rest of the way back and its almost to loud for me. I bought a small resonator to replace the second cat, havent installed it yet but i'm hoping it doesnt get much louder

Old 05-12-2016, 08:12 AM
AFN704
3rd Gear
Yeah the q300 isn't really that loud. I thought about removing the resonator but I left it in know I'd go catless and I doesn't want it to be crazy loud. We will see soon enough how it is. I'm getting the way motor works one and having it swaintech coated in white lightning. I will post some before and after videos but be warned it'll be on the stock mic of my camera. I can live with loud as long as the drone isn't bad. It give me a headache on the highway sometimes. Other than that it's perfect right now. I just wish it was louder. I don't want it to sound like rice.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:19 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Originally Posted by randeez
i thought i was just getting old

swapped out just the downpipe for catless. stock exhaust rest of the way back and its almost to loud for me. I bought a small resonator to replace the second cat, havent installed it yet but i'm hoping it doesnt get much louder
Why did you go in reverse... I've never heard anyone replace the downpipe before stock exhaust?

Old 05-12-2016, 08:22 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AFN704
Yeah the q300 isn't really that loud. I thought about removing the resonator but I left it in know I'd go catless and I doesn't want it to be crazy loud. We will see soon enough how it is. I'm getting the way motor works one and having it swaintech coated in white lightning. I will post some before and after videos but be warned it'll be on the stock mic of my camera. I can live with loud as long as the drone isn't bad. It give me a headache on the highway sometimes. Other than that it's perfect right now. I just wish it was louder. I don't want it to sound like rice.
Definitely looking forward to hearing the difference. Like I said, the level of the sound is not so hot.. But again I am hopeful that the resonator will help with either or (drone or loudness) and make me feel better. At this point, being that it is loud, its not a big deal in comparison to the drone when the windows are up.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:33 AM
AFN704
3rd Gear
Yeah well we will see how it sounds. It'll be a little bit before I can do anything. I have to order the part then ship it off again.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:57 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer0212
Why did you go in reverse... I've never heard anyone replace the downpipe before stock exhaust?
just cheap? i dunno lol

with exception of the cats, stock exhaust flows fine for manic tune.
I havent heard any off the shelf systems i liked, most are too loud. kinda like the alta - it's what i may end up with.
I talked with a guy to have something built from the downpipe back but quoted me nearly 1000, would end up hacking stock exhaust for the connection to the downpipe or hacking up downpipe to put a true v-band joint and then it would be worthless to anyone else

Old 05-12-2016, 12:02 PM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AFN704
Yeah well we will see how it sounds. It'll be a little bit before I can do anything. I have to order the part then ship it off again.
Gotcha.

Well I took a video.. But my iPhone 6Plus speakers don't do justice whatsoever. It sounds worse I think on my phone than in standing right behind it. Granted it doesn't sound bad, nor after the idle levels out you can't even hear it... When you rev the pops and burbles are insanely sweet.. just High RPM not so good. We shall see tonight, what the resonator comes of it.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:03 PM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Originally Posted by randeez
just cheap? i dunno lol

with exception of the cats, stock exhaust flows fine for manic tune.
I havent heard any off the shelf systems i liked, most are too loud. kinda like the alta - it's what i may end up with.
I talked with a guy to have something built from the downpipe back but quoted me nearly 1000, would end up hacking stock exhaust for the connection to the downpipe or hacking up downpipe to put a true v-band joint and then it would be worthless to anyone else

Just a different approach, I suppose. Curious to hear what your mod sounds like w/ the resonator as well.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:21 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I had a fJCW exhaust on my 08 S for a long time and it sounded great. In Feb I added a catless downpipe and the sound was noticeably louder and slightly raspier. I liked it a lot but like others said at higher RPMs there is almost unbearable drone. At 75mph the car runs around 3k and it's very loud. But going back to stock DP, I then thought the car was too quiet!

Old 05-13-2016, 03:57 AM
Gipper
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 05-13-2016, 05:14 AM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 3lusive
I had a fJCW exhaust on my 08 S for a long time and it sounded great. In Feb I added a catless downpipe and the sound was noticeably louder and slightly raspier. I liked it a lot but like others said at higher RPMs there is almost unbearable drone. At 75mph the car runs around 3k and it's very loud. But going back to stock DP, I then thought the car was too quiet!
We are never satisfied when it comes to the modding game..

Old 05-13-2016, 05:45 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Last night, I got the car up in the air, loosen most of the bolts and then remembered that I need a gasket for the flange setup I had installed 5 years ago. So I guess I'll deal with the noise until I get the parts in. Plus the bolts are so corroded, from the flanges that they will need to be replaced as well.

@Gipper: appreciate the link. That is very helpful. I'll be considering that as an option.

I'm also not sure if maybe the downpipe needed to get hot/cold a few times when mated with the Invidia, but once the car is warm idle it sounds stock and at higher RPMs when cruising on the highway it seems good. But I will mention to confirm that at 3K rpm you still have that drone, but it really doesn't seem as bad as it was yesterday. Yesterday it really hurt my ears, but this morning it's a different story. I am going to put the Invidia res back on just go from there. I guess do a process of addition and work thru each part.

Last edited by SpeedRacer0212; 05-13-2016 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:28 PM
Ghetto Mr Bob
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I also started out with the DP first - a high flow catted DP (CNT, 0 issues with quality). Noise was louder but not by much - pops/burbles louder.

Then installed DP back exhaust - big time drone at 3k on the highway. Make sure nothing in the exhaust tunnel is touching the heat shield and your tips aren't touching the rear valence. Also make sure all the exhaust connections are clamped tight.

THEN I switched to a catless DP after my manic tune and it's quite loud. Pops/burbles sound like gunshots - no joke. I've even gone through the trouble of sound deadening the entire rear of the car and foam stripping the door panels to kill some of the drone and rattles.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:54 PM
AFN704
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ghetto Mr Bob
I also started out with the DP first - a high flow catted DP (CNT, 0 issues with quality). Noise was louder but not by much - pops/burbles louder.

Then installed DP back exhaust - big time drone at 3k on the highway. Make sure nothing in the exhaust tunnel is touching the heat shield and your tips aren't touching the rear valence. Also make sure all the exhaust connections are clamped tight.

THEN I switched to a catless DP after my manic tune and it's quite loud. Pops/burbles sound like gunshots - no joke. I've even gone through the trouble of sound deadening the entire rear of the car and foam stripping the door panels to kill some of the drone and rattles.
I ended up going with a Miltek catless downpipe due to the fact that I was at the vendor ally at minis on the dragon and found it at the way motor works booth. I'm really excited to get it on the car but I think it's getting coated first. My hood gets crazy hot. I'd really like to ceramic coat the turbo hear shield too. I know that there are after market heat shields but they melt the plastic valve covers so I'm out. My exhaust touches my bumper a little bit. It may be like a millimeter away from it but I have zero issues with that. So why do you say so? Not saying youre wrong maybe my issues just haven't come to the light of day yet. Should I be concerned? Also anyone know how much those turbo heat shields are? I'm talking about the ones that are on there stock. I want to buy another provided it's not a lot and have that coated then just swap them out.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:08 PM
Ghetto Mr Bob
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Only reason I mention the exhaust touching is because it can cause some unwanted vibration which causes drone. It basically vibrates the whole bumper which just resonates.

I'm not sure ceramic coating the heat shield will do much other than make it look nice. I wrapped my catless DP when I put it in and it's noticeably cooler under the hood and around the hood scoop area than before (before the hood would be painful to touch).

Quick Reply: R56 Cnt catless down pipe question