R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Cnt catless down pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 07:44 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghetto Mr Bob
Only reason I mention the exhaust touching is because it can cause some unwanted vibration which causes drone. It basically vibrates the whole bumper which just resonates.

I'm not sure ceramic coating the heat shield will do much other than make it look nice. I wrapped my catless DP when I put it in and it's noticeably cooler under the hood and around the hood scoop area than before (before the hood would be painful to touch).
Can you provide a link to the wrap you used to wrap your downpipe?

I am still in the process of wanting to put the Invidia resonator back on, but the bolts and nuts holding flanges together are corroded shut. I tried an impact gun and it just made the bolts that were corroded to the flanges loose, but not the bolts and nuts themselves. It is also quite cumbersome to lay underneath the car with it sitting on 4 jack stands. At this point it seems I'm going to need to break and/or hack saw the bolts off. Guess 5 years of hot - cold cycle does that to them. I soaked those babies in PB Blaster, but to no avail.

I am in the market to buy a 2 post lift for lower garage ceilings, so I might just wait until that arrives. So at this time I am making due.

I have found out thru trial/error (just driving) that if you ease into the accelerator that the 3k rpm mark isn't too terrible in regards to sound. But if you gun it, it is awful!-- Which usually for me only happens when I am overtaking someone or getting on to the on-ramp for the highway.

Sad thing today is, I'm taking a lovely lady on a date tonight and I'm not sure if I should or shouldn't mention 1 of the 3:
1) that I have "exhaust leak" and so it can be very loud at highway speeds, so maybe we should drive your car and I have no problem giving you X dollars for gas
2) not mention it at all (she has driven in the car with me before, but it was before I had the DP gutted) [so it was much quieter]
3) my car is out of for the count tonight, can we take your car or tell her that it is loud and broken aka not really and I'll just meet her at the destination

1) lame - I should be the one to drive, but its better to be honest (preferred, I think)
2) lame and she might get a headache and get mad
3) lame, lame, lame

What do to

Old 05-16-2016, 07:51 AM
Ghetto Mr Bob
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nothing fancy but here's a link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B82...i+exhaust+wrap

As for the date, I'd just drive and say your car is going to loud

Old 05-16-2016, 07:55 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Nothing fancy but here's a link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B82...i+exhaust+wrap

As for the date, I'd just drive and say your car is going to loud
Thanks for the link.

Date: except when she's like you're car is too loud, I can't see you anymore, what then!? For why everyone needs a second car/motorcyle for when **** like this happens or the car is legitimately broken... Not good!

Old 05-16-2016, 08:01 AM
Ghetto Mr Bob
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer0212
Thanks for the link.

Date: except when she's like you're car is too loud, I can't see you anymore, what then!? For why everyone needs a second car/motorcyle for when **** like this happens or the car is legitimately broken... Not good!
It's temporarily loud? Haha. I'm pretty convinced my girlfriend hates how loud my car is but hey, if she likes you then I'm sure that's easily overlooked.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:08 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
It's temporarily loud? Haha. I'm pretty convinced my girlfriend hates how loud my car is but hey, if she likes you then I'm sure that's easily overlooked.
Yea, I guess you're right. It would be ****ed up if your car was broken regardless of the reason and your girlfriend left you for that. Temporary is the key... Thanks for helping me see that.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:03 PM
bcriverjunky
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Tell you were going to fix it but you spent the funds on flowers....

Old 05-16-2016, 02:06 PM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bcriverjunky
Tell you were going to fix it but you spent the funds on flowers....
That's a good one; I like the thought.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:10 AM
AFN704
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer0212
Can you provide a link to the wrap you used to wrap your downpipe?

I am still in the process of wanting to put the Invidia resonator back on, but the bolts and nuts holding flanges together are corroded shut. I tried an impact gun and it just made the bolts that were corroded to the flanges loose, but not the bolts and nuts themselves. It is also quite cumbersome to lay underneath the car with it sitting on 4 jack stands. At this point it seems I'm going to need to break and/or hack saw the bolts off. Guess 5 years of hot - cold cycle does that to them. I soaked those babies in PB Blaster, but to no avail.

I am in the market to buy a 2 post lift for lower garage ceilings, so I might just wait until that arrives. So at this time I am making due.

I have found out thru trial/error (just driving) that if you ease into the accelerator that the 3k rpm mark isn't too terrible in regards to sound. But if you gun it, it is awful!-- Which usually for me only happens when I am overtaking someone or getting on to the on-ramp for the highway.

Sad thing today is, I'm taking a lovely lady on a date tonight and I'm not sure if I should or shouldn't mention 1 of the 3:
1) that I have "exhaust leak" and so it can be very loud at highway speeds, so maybe we should drive your car and I have no problem giving you X dollars for gas
2) not mention it at all (she has driven in the car with me before, but it was before I had the DP gutted) [so it was much quieter]
3) my car is out of for the count tonight, can we take your car or tell her that it is loud and broken aka not really and I'll just meet her at the destination

1) lame - I should be the one to drive, but its better to be honest (preferred, I think)
2) lame and she might get a headache and get mad
3) lame, lame, lame

What do to
Just let her know it's noisy in a joking way. If she doesn't like your car she not the on for you bro.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:48 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
I appreciate the insight provided. I actually didn't mention it, and kept a light/airy foot on the accelerator, keeping in mind the threshold of the 3k mark when on highway speeds.

Now, back to the topic at hand.