R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Dropped off R56 for Service, fell in love with the F56 Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 06:11 AM
GAT
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dropped off R56 for Service, fell in love with the F56 Loaner

So I dropped off my 07 MCS off this morning at the stealership to have the HPFP replaced, fingers crossed that the transaction goes smooth and all is covered under warranty.

I called a week in advance to secure a loaner vehicle so that I had transportation to get to and from work/home/etc... I was expecting a new base model something or other but was pleasantly surprised when they presented me with an F56 Cooper S 4 door. It certainly is not one of their top of the line models (as it comes with 16" wheels) but the interior options and tech blew me away. Not familiar if this is standard on all F56s but its all leather, has technology which makes my R56 look like a Commodore 64 and a Harman sound system that pumps hard with zero distortion. The F56 aesthetics haven't really grown on me but after my 20 min drive to work this morning I must admit that I am IN LOVE. I prefer a manual, however the auto transmission on this thing is absolutely amazing; shifts like butter and extremely responsive. Sport mode makes a HUGE difference as well plus they offer some sort of ECO mode which I refused to try out. The 2.0T BMW motor runs like a dream. It is quiet, quick and very responsive; zero lag, feels like the turbo begins to spool the instant you take off. Handling is great, although I have not had an opportunity to really push its limits, and extremely comfortable...Dare I say that it handles better than my R56 with factory sport suspension?? I honestly expected more of a floaty ride given that its a 4 door with standard suspension but again, pleasantly surprised

Sorry for rambling. Long story short, I am in love. It reminds me of that girl who all once knew who even though she may have not been the most attractive person, we ended up falling for her personality. Who knows, maybe down the road the F56 will become more aesthetically pleasing to me but I certainly would not pass one up if Mini were to present me with a great offer.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:21 AM
GAT
3rd Gear
Here are a couple of quick pics of this Franken-beauty

Old 02-12-2016, 07:28 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I know that a lot of the 'dyed in the wool' Mini people hate the new F configurations but I too had one as a loaner when my R56 was being serviced and I was impressed. When the end of my new car warranty nears it's end I'll be looking to make a swap.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:39 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Yep, from the driver's seat, the F56 is a much better experience than the R56, especially with a little love from performance parts. Just squint a little when approaching the car. Butterface.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:07 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
So, the question is... are you thinking of looking for a deal on an F56?

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-12-2016, 03:13 PM
GAT
3rd Gear
Screw good deals. HPFP replaced for free under Mini's warranty extension. I love being back in my R56, especially now that it idles like a normal car

Old 02-12-2016, 08:13 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Yup, that's how they get you. Give you a decently spec'd brand new Mini as a loaner and reel you in from there.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:48 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
They didn't get me. I had the newest version of my r56s for a loaner a while back. The auto was cool, no loss of boost between gears when hammering it. That was cool. But the shifts were kinda unpredictable, sometimes harsh, and the buttons for shifting were pretty much useless. Took a long time to react. This is why I still row the gears. Then, I got a later version of the base MINI, with the 3 cyl turbo. I gotta say that that engine pulls pretty well for a 3 cyl, but lacked the refinement of a 4 cyl. It felt a bit choppy at idle. Never sounded as good, either. I will keep my 2011 R56S for as long as I can, thank you very much. That big bumper bar in the middle of the grille still has me thinking of where MINI went wrong, and now I think I get it. There is a point where a car is right-sized, and fits the dimensions (mostly) of the "original". I think MINI has crossed that point. My 2011 is about as BIG as a MINI should get.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:30 AM
I_drive_slow
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by renchjeep
They didn't get me. I had the newest version of my r56s for a loaner a while back. The auto was cool, no loss of boost between gears when hammering it. That was cool. But the shifts were kinda unpredictable, sometimes harsh, and the buttons for shifting were pretty much useless. Took a long time to react. This is why I still row the gears. Then, I got a later version of the base MINI, with the 3 cyl turbo. I gotta say that that engine pulls pretty well for a 3 cyl, but lacked the refinement of a 4 cyl. It felt a bit choppy at idle. Never sounded as good, either. I will keep my 2011 R56S for as long as I can, thank you very much. That big bumper bar in the middle of the grille still has me thinking of where MINI went wrong, and now I think I get it. There is a point where a car is right-sized, and fits the dimensions (mostly) of the "original". I think MINI has crossed that point. My 2011 is about as BIG as a MINI should get.
I agree about the size. Im not even sure if its the styling, but these Minis are just huge. I even felt that the R56 is a few inches over the limit...and now the base car is bigger than an old VW Gti, and the clubman looks massive next to a Camry. Hopefully they downsize it In the next gen, or introduce a smaller car...Mini Minor?

Old 02-13-2016, 11:12 AM
JimmyChooToo
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by I_drive_slow
I agree about the size. Im not even sure if its the styling, but these Minis are just huge. I even felt that the R56 is a few inches over the limit...and now the base car is bigger than an old VW Gti, and the clubman looks massive next to a Camry. Hopefully they downsize it In the next gen, or introduce a smaller car...Mini Minor?
I'm sure the F56 is an awesome car, but I'm only buying one used. I'm simply shocked by the depreciation on these cars. They are asking $16,000 on a 2015 with just 6,000 miles.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:50 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyChooToo
I'm sure the F56 is an awesome car, but I'm only buying one used. I'm simply shocked by the depreciation on these cars. They are asking $16,000 on a 2015 with just 6,000 miles.
Where do you see that kind of pricing? I sure can't find them that cheap.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:46 AM
Kimerator
Neutral
Exact same thing happened to me. One week after driving the F55 loaner for 4 days, i placed an order for one of my own. Because of a knee problem i have to have automatic transmission, but adjustable damper control is pretty awesome.