R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Coolant elbow? (non-S)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 05:00 PM
point665
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant elbow? (non-S)

Hi guys,

My sister just purchased an '11 Cooper Hardtop (non S), and as I was looking under the engine bay I noticed a sensor was not connected. I've tried to identify the sensor in image searches, but I'm not even seeing this coolant elbow in the images that come up. Can someone let me know what sensor is supposed to be connected here, and is there a reason it would not be? (tune? other modification?)

The car has 40k miles on it and is very clean. She was originally buying a brand new S, but having just moved from Europe (and having just gotten her US license) - insurance on a new S was over $500/month.

Sorry for the dark images, I can grab better ones tomorrow.

Thanks,
J

Old 09-28-2015, 08:42 PM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
My 20120 Jast clubby has a connector there. Tracing the wire back, it goes up from the socket then backwards to the right (driver side) then back (to windshield) in between the ECU harness and air duct, dropping down just a little after that. I suspect if you look between the ECU harness and duct you could see it. The wires are thin, and have a black plastic cover over them about the diameter of a small straw.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:02 AM
point665
Neutral
Originally Posted by cargusjoh
My 20120 Jast clubby has a connector there. Tracing the wire back, it goes up from the socket then backwards to the right (driver side) then back (to windshield) in between the ECU harness and air duct, dropping down just a little after that. I suspect if you look between the ECU harness and duct you could see it. The wires are thin, and have a black plastic cover over them about the diameter of a small straw.
I believe I found the wire you are talking about, however it feels like it is attached to another sensor underneath the air ducting. On another forum, it was mentioned that Mini has made revisions and moved the sensors around. Could this be correct?

I'm going to unbolt the air ducting a little later today and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:28 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by point665
I believe I found the wire you are talking about, however it feels like it is attached to another sensor underneath the air ducting. On another forum, it was mentioned that Mini has made revisions and moved the sensors around. Could this be correct?

I'm going to unbolt the air ducting a little later today and see if I can figure out what's going on.
I believe you're on the right path as I think that part is NLA and MINI moved that sensor to the thermostat housing. Maybe check it out and see if that is indeed where it is located.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-29-2015, 09:28 AM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by point665

I only know what is on my 12 anything is possible

Old 09-29-2015, 09:33 AM
point665
Neutral
Thanks guys - there is a thermostat housing sensor right next to it. No CEL or anything, so I'm assuming everything is "good to go".

Only other issue seems to be a gap between the passenger window and the back weatherstripping - the adjustment on the bottom of the door does not give me enough room (and the door has not been damaged/no accidents with the vehicle). The selling dealer said they would fix the issue, I wonder if it would be covered under the existing Mini Warranty.

Maybe I'll have her stop by the local dealer to do a pre-warranty-end check. (The same dealer did the non-stop warranty work on my previous 335i)

Old 09-29-2015, 09:46 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Yes, if the dealer said that they would fix the issue, that's what I would do first. For the elbow, I believe 17122754221 is the new hose for the manual transmission. You can confirm this when you go in to the dealer for the window as well. Hope this helps a little.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-29-2015, 12:41 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-leaking.html

You will need a new lead adapter and hose if you change out the thermostat and the line as there has been an update. Let me know if you need anything.

Someone might have updated the thermostat housing and then just let the old sensor and line the new thermostat has the sensor in it with a new harness, hence the empty connection on the old one.

I have done several cooling system personally on worked on MINIs for years, so if you have any questions I can help.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172