R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Misfires in all four cylinders at once

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:21 AM
ShadyCoop
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Misfires in all four cylinders at once

Hi all,

I have a 2007 MCS auto trans, N14 engine. Yesterday I drove my car with absolutely no problems, it pulled like normal, ran like normal. We had a huge storm yesterday and I drove while it was pouring ran. My scoop is completely open to allow a little more airflow to the open box intake. Anyways, to the problem. I went to go drive it after the roads dried up and when I turned it on it was idling really rough. It kept surging from 800-1100 rpms. I started driving it and it had absolutely no power. It felt like I was driving with 2 cylinders. It would also make a deeper sound WOT. I got back home, and read the codes with my AP and it read that all four cylinders misfired. 5 codes total(I forget the actually codes)-
Multi cylinder misfire
Cylinder 1 misfire
Cylinder 2 misfire
Cylinder 3 misfire
Cylinder 4 misfire

Now I'm thinking its one of two things, but I don't have the money to do both. I'm thinking its either my ignition coils. Or I need an intake manifold carbon cleaning. I couldn't think of any other solutions.

If anyone on here could add some educated input or experiences that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Tyler

Old 09-13-2015, 09:22 AM
ShadyCoop
3rd Gear
More info

Also,
I went back out to drive it again about an hour later and everything was back to normal! I'm worried at what it could be that would just pop up out of the blue and then go away.
Thanks
Tyler

Old 09-13-2015, 10:43 AM
gzaos
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably just from water getting down past your coils, much like dealerships and detail shops spraying down your engine bay with water will cause... If it went back to normal and doesn't happen again I wouldn't worry. Probably better to leave the scoop covered unless you have a ram intake that actually forces air onto your filter.. I had this issue with an old Mazda3 when I got water on my coil packs.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:30 PM
ShadyCoop
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gzaos
Probably just from water getting down past your coils, much like dealerships and detail shops spraying down your engine bay with water will cause... If it went back to normal and doesn't happen again I wouldn't worry. Probably better to leave the scoop covered unless you have a ram intake that actually forces air onto your filter.. I had this issue with an old Mazda3 when I got water on my coil packs.
Its been running fine all day so I'm guessing that's the issue! Thanks for the reassurance. If you don't mind me asking, what did you have done to your speed 3? I love those cars

Old 09-13-2015, 02:00 PM
gzaos
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ShadyCoop
Its been running fine all day so I'm guessing that's the issue! Thanks for the reassurance. If you don't mind me asking, what did you have done to your speed 3? I love those cars
Reason I don't own it anymore is because it was only a Mazda3, not speed If I didn't get the MCS thats what I would have bought..

Old 09-16-2015, 09:32 PM
ShadyCoop
3rd Gear
Update

just wanted to let anyone with this problem that stumbled onto this thread that it has gone away and hasn't happened since that one incident, so its safe to say that the reason stated above was in fact the problem. No need to worry!

Tyler

Old 09-20-2015, 08:57 AM
tylewis
3rd Gear
I had a scion tC and often when it would rain my intake would operate like a vacuum sucking all the water it could up. The vehicle would stutter, smoke and not go past 50 mph. Next day it would be fine and run better than ever. It is likely the above stated explanation is correct.