Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Battery died...now have problems...even with new battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 05:53 PM
UncDeo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery died...now have problems...even with new battery

Car came back from dealer yesterday...and I'm at 99,880 miles...so last under warranty checkup. They let me know the battery was on it's last legs but I didn't want to shell out $300+ for theirs...so I found a replacement locally for $150. When the driver dropped it off he tried restarting it after the 2 hour drive and it wouldn't start...so he jumped it with a jump pack...and when I got to the car the "red mini up on a lift" warning light was on....my windows didn't work, or fog lights, couldn't turn my head lights off while the car was running, ambient lighting doesn't work, and my turn signals don't work. When I got off work it wouldn't start so a buddy and I swapped out the battery...still have these problems. Service advisor says to remove negative lead for battery for ten minutes and then put key in accessory position and hold the windows down buttons for ten seconds....then up and hold for ten seconds. Had a local BMW guy run codes today and the "footwell module" is dead or just not communicating....has anyone run into this??? I wonder if the driver damaged something when he jumped it???

Old 09-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Yep, took my Mini in for a walnut blast 2 years ago and when they gave me the keys I walked out to my car and notice lights were still on with car off and locked, I refused to even get in my Mini until it was in the exact same condition as when I brought it in! I'm sure while removing all the sensors and manifold the guy must have forgot to unplug the battery and shorted out my footwell module, they tried reprogramming it to no avail. $1000 for a new footwell module!

I didn't have to pay a dime because the Mini dealer blamed it on the aftermarket alarm system and custom non factory harness that CarMax had installed for me, it says in clear English any modifications whatsoever voids the warranty, whether or not CarMax ignored this or not they were ultimately responsible.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:59 PM
tylewis
3rd Gear
I have a couple of questions.

What is the source of this problem? What caused it and what can I do to make sure this doesn't happen to me (sorry guys).
Did the walnut blast work as well as everyone says it does? What do I have to make sure happens during my walnut blast to ensure this battery issue doesn't arise?
What is the main fix for this problem?

Old 09-25-2015, 01:22 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Lots of footwell module information at this thread here as well.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-27-2015, 12:59 AM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tylewis
I have a couple of questions.

What is the source of this problem? What caused it and what can I do to make sure this doesn't happen to me (sorry guys).
Did the walnut blast work as well as everyone says it does? What do I have to make sure happens during my walnut blast to ensure this battery issue doesn't arise?
What is the main fix for this problem?
Yes, the walnut blasting of intake valves works great. Had it done on my 2009 Clubman S around 45,000 miles and it felt like 10 new horsepower and the throttle was more responsive. They used an iPhone to take photos of the valves before and after a D I was amazed how thick the buildup was. Totally clean after.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:46 PM
Carolinemini
Neutral
I have the exact same issue!!!

Originally Posted by UncDeo
Car came back from dealer yesterday...and I'm at 99,880 miles...so last under warranty checkup. They let me know the battery was on it's last legs but I didn't want to shell out $300+ for theirs...so I found a replacement locally for $150. When the driver dropped it off he tried restarting it after the 2 hour drive and it wouldn't start...so he jumped it with a jump pack...and when I got to the car the "red mini up on a lift" warning light was on....my windows didn't work, or fog lights, couldn't turn my head lights off while the car was running, ambient lighting doesn't work, and my turn signals don't work. When I got off work it wouldn't start so a buddy and I swapped out the battery...still have these problems. Service advisor says to remove negative lead for battery for ten minutes and then put key in accessory position and hold the windows down buttons for ten seconds....then up and hold for ten seconds. Had a local BMW guy run codes today and the "footwell module" is dead or just not communicating....has anyone run into this??? I wonder if the driver damaged something when he jumped it???

Old 03-14-2017, 08:49 PM
Carolinemini
Neutral

I don't know what to do! The nearest Mini servicer is at least an hour away and I just moved to this town. I find mechanics take advtantage of me maybe because I'm a girl. Please help me educate myself so I don't get ripped off. I literally have the exact same issue verbatim after changing my battery the red lift up is on, the windows dont work, fog lights, ambient lighting, signals and my headliggts stay on while ignition is on. Does this mean i need to replace my footwell? Also, I'm sorry but i dont know how to use these threads and i just realized i may have responded to myself. Sorry.

​​​​​Please advise!

Old 03-14-2017, 10:46 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Carolinemini
I don't know what to do! The nearest Mini servicer is at least an hour away and I just moved to this town. I find mechanics take advtantage of me maybe because I'm a girl. Please help me educate myself so I don't get ripped off. I literally have the exact same issue verbatim after changing my battery the red lift up is on, the windows dont work, fog lights, ambient lighting, signals and my headliggts stay on while ignition is on. Does this mean i need to replace my footwell? Also, I'm sorry but i dont know how to use these threads and i just realized i may have responded to myself. Sorry.

​​​​​Please advise!
First off, what year and model MINI do you have? That info may lead to more educated results with your issues.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:12 AM
Carolinemini
Neutral
Originally Posted by renchjeep
First off, what year and model MINI do you have? That info may lead to more educated results with your issues.
Hello, I have a 2011 mini cooper hatchback. It's a manual transmission. Here's a more exact explination. I drive up to Illinois from Florida so my car had ne er seen snow snow before. When I got to Chicago, I did not drive it for 2 days. When i attempted to turn it on, the starter was responsive, but the battery was dead. I tried a few more times, but less and less noises came from the car until it inly clicked 3 times, I believe it was. So then my friend with a hinda jumped my car. He pit red to red and then the plug that was negative coming from his car he put in metal. Then the other two hooked up to my battery. The mini turned on, but as i was rolling out of the driveway, it stalled and i turned it back on. Thats when i noticed my windows werent working. I drove to advance auto parts, they said they couldnt get an accurate read because there was still ampwrrage coming from the battery for some reason (I later realized my trunk light was in the whole time, maybe thats why.) So I went to NTB while never turning ofd the motor as the guy said it could be my alternator and it may not turn back on. I replaced the battery with a brand new one, cost me $160! The window and kights and signal problem still keeps on. We checked all the fuses by the engine and the ones in the passenger side and they do not look blown. Again, the next mini serviver is almost 2 hours drive from me. I was thinking maybe if Im educated about this, I can go to a local person who can perhaps do it or check it.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you for your reply.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:03 PM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Carolinemini
Hello, I have a 2011 mini cooper hatchback. It's a manual transmission. Here's a more exact explination. I drive up to Illinois from Florida so my car had ne er seen snow snow before. When I got to Chicago, I did not drive it for 2 days. When i attempted to turn it on, the starter was responsive, but the battery was dead. I tried a few more times, but less and less noises came from the car until it inly clicked 3 times, I believe it was. So then my friend with a hinda jumped my car. He pit red to red and then the plug that was negative coming from his car he put in metal. Then the other two hooked up to my battery. The mini turned on, but as i was rolling out of the driveway, it stalled and i turned it back on. Thats when i noticed my windows werent working. I drove to advance auto parts, they said they couldnt get an accurate read because there was still ampwrrage coming from the battery for some reason (I later realized my trunk light was in the whole time, maybe thats why.) So I went to NTB while never turning ofd the motor as the guy said it could be my alternator and it may not turn back on. I replaced the battery with a brand new one, cost me $160! The window and kights and signal problem still keeps on. We checked all the fuses by the engine and the ones in the passenger side and they do not look blown. Again, the next mini serviver is almost 2 hours drive from me. I was thinking maybe if Im educated about this, I can go to a local person who can perhaps do it or check it.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you for your reply.
This does sound like the FRM could be making problems. As others suggested, try disconnecting the battery, letting sit for at least an hour, and then reconnecting the battery, and make sure the connection is clean and tight. If that problem persists someone should take a look at the FRM and check for signs of water or water damage. Cleaning and drying if any are found could help. Otherwise next step would be to connect a computer via appropriate software and trying to talk to FRM (other threads on that), but all these require specialized skills. Check in the FRM thread. If you get to that stage, your options may be the MINI dealership ($$$) or a specialty shop that can work on MINIs and BMWs, but if so you are probably looking at lots of $$$.

Also, not sure of the 2011 R56 requires a new battery to be registered?
To find out if you need to register the battery with the ECU, check for the IBS module on the negative battery connections,
see the purple arrow in Figure 3 of this Pelican Parts post:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm
If you have that black L-shaped contraption on the negative post, the battery will have to be registered. This requires software and an OBD connection.
See this post on replacing battery:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nt-help-5.html

After some thinking, properly jumping a car or exchanging the battery should not fry the FRM, but if there are underlying issues such as water intrusion then these activities could maybe damage the FRM. See the next post by ryansonfire.

Last edited by Zephyr1; 03-25-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:56 PM
ryansonfire
1st Gear
i had the same problem with my dead battery corrupting the footwell control module. i called the dealership and they have a warranty extension for the footwell control module and they replaced mine for free. call with your vin and make an appointment to get it replaced.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:53 AM
Kathy T
Neutral
It is worth taking it to the dealer. I had the same issues with my 2011 Mini Cooper. It is a malfunction of the footwell module. The warranty has been extended on this part so replacement is free.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:08 AM
Lancaster
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Bumping this for an update. I noticed a very hot drive’s foot well this Summer. Does anyone have a fix yet? Pics would be great.