R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Maintinance and recommendation

Old 08-23-2015, 09:06 PM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Maintinance and recommendation

I purchased a 2011 MCS Yesterday. I'm already getting CEL codes (P306F/P0087). I have been reading about maybe a bad HPFP, but i would like to start off small (cheapes part to replace and work my way to the more expensive parts). If there something else that i may need to replace so the car is happy and i get no codes. I was also reading that the car has a Fuel pump in the gas tank as well as a filter. I wouldn't mind replace all this things but what i would really like to know is if replacing all this things would fix the problem. Also the cig lighter ports don't work in front/Rear. i suspect a Fuse but cant make out the hieroglyphics on the cover in the passenger side of the car. which one is the one for the Fuse for the cig in the front/Rear .

I have about 1.5k to throw at problems but would like to do it smartly. I purchased the car knowing it not a perfect car mechanically, so i made my self a budget for initial maintenance and problems like replace the HPFP if needed.

Also i would like to perform the following Maintenance on the car, but need more info. I purchase the car for a DD. So not really looking for killer things, but wouldn't like the scrap the bottom of the barrel. If i miss something please let me know or something you guys/girls would recommend replacing as a precaution.

Oil Change
How much and what type?

Engine air Filter Change

Tranmission Fluid MT
How much and what type?

Power Steering Fluid
How much and what type?

Brake Fluid
How much and what type?

Coolant
How much and what type?

Spark Plug
What kind heat range?

O2 Sensor
Which ones part number?
Air Filter
Brake pads
Brake rotors
PVC
Fuel filter
Seaform the car
Check intake manifold/intake ports and clean if needed.
Add an OCC Always have this on all my turbo cars

Old 08-24-2015, 04:53 PM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Anyone?

Old 08-24-2015, 07:31 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
As for you first code and second code,

1. Fuel pressure: Pressure drop below minimum, injection deactivation to protect catalyst.

2. Fuel Rail pressure drop below spec.

Your best bet is to checkout which pump is below spec, then replace the failing pump. My guess is the original owner got tired of constantly replacing the high pressure fuel pump and sold the car.

There is no power steering pump or power steering fluid for that matter, power steering is electrical. If you don't have the instruction manual to your Mini I'm sure I can provide you with a link to it via PDF download of it when I get home from work.

Another this you should know, the brake fluid and clutch fluid are one in the same, it's shared between one reservoir.

Last edited by Systemlord; 08-24-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:35 PM
sgscomps
4th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Use the search feature, realoem.com using your vin number and the bentley manual http://www.bentleypublishers.com/min...2007-2013.html

Old 08-24-2015, 08:16 PM
HaveATank
4th Gear
I actually want to replace both. I'm getting is P0087 Haven't seen the other codes. I got the P306F when still tryiing to push the car. but it only came on one time. the code that seems to keep coming up after about 20-30mins of driving (NYC) traffic is the p0087.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:12 PM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Still need some help found most of everything, but can't seem to find which of the following i actually need for a 2011 MCS MT (N18)

Power Steering Fluid
How much and what type?

Coolant
How much and what type?

Spark Plug (Model number brand)
What kind heat range?

O2 Sensor both (Model number brand)

Please someone help me.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:33 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by HaveATank
Power Steering Fluid
How much and what type?

Please someone help me.
Here's a start in the help you need.
Half a minute spent with the search engine found this thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...are-there.html
Take a look at post #2 by cristo.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:12 PM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Why is it that every forum there always has to be smart a$$ with the search crap. It not hard to find this information for an R53, But I have a R56 2011 with a N18 engine not N14 and i can't find if this still applies to the R56. I couldn't even find if this car still uses a old fashion rack or an electric motor. I don't even see the PS tank. I mean it doesn't feel like a electric motor PS system.

I already purchased the Bently book, But I would still like anyone else that can help with any of the other question or that can confirm if I can use the same as the R53 and where is the resavior for the PS.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Here's a start in the help you need.
Half a minute spent with the search engine found this thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...are-there.html
Take a look at post #2 by cristo.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:39 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
...because guys show up and start asking questions without trying to see have they already been answered. There are a quarter million threads and over 4 million posts on this forum. Somewhere in there might be what you're looking for. I'll go back to the smart a$$ answer for some more help wherein the link states that the proper PS fluid is Pentosin CHF11S. Here's another 'search' thru the vendor section.
http://new.minimania.com/part/NME724...ctory-Approved
So, next time someone provides a link that they found searching, take the hint.
PS: PS fluid is NOT engine block specific.

Last edited by Fly'n Brick; 08-28-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:45 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Why is it that every forum there always has to be smart a$$ with the search crap. It not hard to find this information for an R53, But I have a R56 2011 with a N18 engine not N14 and i can't find if this still applies to the R56. I couldn't even find if this car still uses a old fashion rack or an electric motor. I don't even see the PS tank. I mean it doesn't feel like a electric motor PS system.

I already purchased the Bently book, But I would still like anyone else that can help with any of the other question or that can confirm if I can use the same as the R53 and where is the resavior for the PS.

Thank you.
If I was an FNG on this forum, I would employ a time honored technique where upon I would gleen far more information now and in the future from the very seasoned and informed members using honey and rather than napalm!

Last edited by buzzsaw; 08-28-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:07 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
  • Oil here, oil filter here, and drain plug ring here. Here is a really good DIY write up on the oil change.
  • Engine air filter here.
  • Tranmission Fluid MT (Red Line) here.
  • Brake Fluid (ATE is great) here
  • Coolant here
  • Spark Plug here
  • O2 Sensor here
  • Cabin Air Filter here
  • Brake pads here - Akebono are good pads for noise and dust if you're wanting something in comparison to the genuine pads.
  • Brake rotors here
  • Fuel filter here

and if anything else is needed, here is the catalog.

R56 DIY tech articles here. We are adding a lot to this daily. For the N18, differences are noted within the articles for relevance.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
The following users liked this post:
J.M.Sutherland (07-22-2021)
Old 09-02-2015, 09:08 PM
HaveATank
4th Gear
I just got the Bently book and there is no Power steering fluid, becaude they use an electric motor. It very interesting because I have never felt a ESC that feels so much like a regular Hydraulic PS.

I hate when people spread so much miss information and has the ***** to tell me to search.

Thank you for the help pelican.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:16 PM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Is this the only plug available for the N18 engine (Beru 12 ZR-6 SPP2-1)?

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
  • Oil here, oil filter here, and drain plug ring here. Here is a really good DIY write up on the oil change.
  • Engine air filter here.
  • Tranmission Fluid MT (Red Line) here.
  • Brake Fluid (ATE is great) here
  • Coolant here
  • Spark Plug here
  • O2 Sensor here
  • Cabin Air Filter here
  • Brake pads here - Akebono are good pads for noise and dust if you're wanting something in comparison to the genuine pads.
  • Brake rotors here
  • Fuel filter here

and if anything else is needed, here is the catalog.

R56 DIY tech articles here. We are adding a lot to this daily. For the N18, differences are noted within the articles for relevance.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:20 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
I just got the Bently book and there is no Power steering fluid, becaude they use an electric motor. It very interesting because I have never felt a ESC that feels so much like a regular Hydraulic PS.

I hate when people spread so much miss information and has the ***** to tell me to search.

Thank you for the help pelican.
Well it's always a good idea to do a little research before creating a thread because it helps you to better understand your problem or issue, learning is fun and a great exercise for your brain. I remember back in grade school (35 years ago) when those who wanted all the answers given to them without doing any homework at all, it's not misinformation it's doing some homework and a little self help.

For instance in my very first (3rd post) post I stated, "There is no power steering pump or power steering fluid for that matter", "power steering is electrical." Three posts later you asked, "Power Steering Fluid", how much and what type? You didn't even bother to read my post, when member's see that the OP isn't reading replies in his own thread member's stop posting while some get frustrated. I hardly see how you can blame them.

I'm glad you got the Bentley manual as it gives you information about your car you just can't get anywhere else.

3rd post
There is no power steering pump or power steering fluid for that matter, power steering is electrical.
6th post
Power Steering Fluid
How much and what type?

Old 09-03-2015, 05:01 AM
Dieseldoctor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you.
I'm sorry just can't let it go.... I personally think, if YOU are going to be a DIYer then do so, but don't call people that are trying to help names. If in fact you did purchase a repair Manuel, use it, read it. This will be more your friend than the search button. Have a swell day, would you please.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:52 AM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Can't really tell if you are trying to offend me or not. Sounds more like you are, but I'll use my grade school brain and be the bigger man oo wait grade school child. I would prefer this to be helpful for others. Personally I don't see anything wrong with helping people. Specially with simple questions.

You are one 100% correct. I totally missed your post regarding the PS being ESC.

Most of the things you find about the R56 has to do with the N14 engine. Hardly no one talks about the N18. I was looking for spark plugs and NGK doesn't even make plugs according to there website for the 2011. It looks like they changed things for the N18 engine and I'm sure you know only some 2010 and all 2011 have N18, so when doing research I was in the predicament of trying to also find out if it applied to the R56 with a N18 engine.

Every turbo car I have owned I have always used a oil catch can, which I was going to purchase, but it turns out there is no more PVS side on an N18 and from what i read it applies to R56 with the N14 motor, So I'm holding off on getting one until I can get a my camera into the Intake runners and look at the Intake valve.

Thank you for your help by the way. I'm more of a helper and a DIYER and have no problem helping people with simple answers. Specially when they are right answers, like you did with me. What I wouldn't like is the spread of miss information. Wish this guy's would delete his post just incase someone is doing research and assumes that link applies to a R56.

The Bentley book is great, but it still doesn't answer all the question. Plus it not the answer for everyone, since it so expensive. I got lucky and found it for $80 second hand. Thank god amazon didn't ship out the book and I had the chance to cancel it.

Here is a question which I been looking but haven't found the answer or haven't decrypted the symbol yet on the cluster.

Everytime I get in/out the car, the dome light turns on. How do I turn this off? I live in NYC and sometimes park my car in the street and have things in my back seat, don't really like advertising what's back there, but this light makes that happen. I have gone thru all the options on the cluster and nothing yet or is this something I would have to live with. Most of my other cars are simple, but the typical complain about minis from reviewers on line is the learning curve with everything being done thru the computer.

Sorry wrote all this on my phone it looks super long and didn't have time to apply grade school Grammer corrections.

Originally Posted by Systemlord
Well it's always a good idea to do a little research before creating a thread because it helps you to better understand your problem or issue, learning is fun and a great exercise for your brain. I remember back in grade school (35 years ago) when those who wanted all the answers given to them without doing any homework at all, it's not misinformation it's doing some homework and a little self help.

For instance in my very first (3rd post) post I stated, "There is no power steering pump or power steering fluid for that matter", "power steering is electrical." Three posts later you asked, "Power Steering Fluid", how much and what type? You didn't even bother to read my post, when member's see that the OP isn't reading replies in his own thread member's stop posting while some get frustrated. I hardly see how you can blame them.

I'm glad you got the Bentley manual as it gives you information about your car you just can't get anywhere else.

3rd post

6th post

Last edited by HaveATank; 09-03-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:20 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Is this the only plug available for the N18 engine (Beru 12 ZR-6 SPP2-1)?
You're welcome. The Beru and Genuine plugs are all that are active for sale in our catalog that we recommend, but I am sure we might be able to get more options for you if you called and spoke to a rep. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited by PelicanParts.com; 09-03-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:15 AM
HaveATank
4th Gear
I already placed my order on your site. I personally like NGK, but there CS said they don't have any for this car officially. I'm sure they have something that will fit, but at this moment don't want to be a test car. I purchased this mini for a DD. Had a smart car before, but Mercedes took it back on a lemon case because of the air bag.

You're welcome. The Beru and Genuine plugs are all that are active for sale in our catalog that we recommend, but I am sure we might be able to get more options for you if you called and spoke to a rep. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:46 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
I already placed my order on your site. I personally like NGK, but there CS said they don't have any for this car officially. I'm sure they have something that will fit, but at this moment don't want to be a test car. I purchased this mini for a DD. Had a smart car before, but Mercedes took it back on a lemon case because of the air bag.
Sounds good. I'm here if you need anything else.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:22 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
It's clear you can't take a little constructive criticism without being a smart alec so no more help from me and I'm certain every other member as well. I originally came here to help out a fellow member, you can't please everyone.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:42 PM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
It's clear you can't take a little constructive criticism without being a smart alec so no more help from me and I'm certain every other member as well. I originally came here to help out a fellow member, you can't please everyone.
So does that mean you if you had/have the answer to the dome light turning on when i open the door and you know how to make it stop, you will not help me?

Old 09-04-2015, 05:57 AM
HaveATank
4th Gear
How long do you guys typically take to ship orders out? Didn't see if you had it in Stock I just ordered lol.

Sounds good. I'm here if you need anything else.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:04 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
How long do you guys typically take to ship orders out? Didn't see if you had it in Stock I just ordered lol.
If you can PM me your order number I can look it up for you! Typically, if it's in stock it ships same or next day depending on the time you ordered.