R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Mini stalling at stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:00 AM
elan
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mini stalling at stop

Wanted to see if any of you brains could shed some light on my issue before I go to the dealer this weekend for their analysis.

My Mini ('13 MCS - with about 52k miles) has stalled 4 times this week. Coincidentally every time was the same exact stop-sign as I leave my office park - so my car has been sitting for 4-8 hours before it stalls. It has be unusually warm (mid 90s) on the days it's stalled, but it starts right back up and then drives normally. I have noticed a bit of a rough idle when I start the car in the mornings as well - RPMs dip but it doesn't quite stall.

Maybe related, but the 'pop-n'burble' has been mysteriously absent from my car since about January...possibly indicative of something related to the stalls/rough idle?

I happened to have an oil change scheduled already at the dealer this saturday, so I'll have them look at this as well, but I wanted to go in with maybe some idea of what it might be, so I seem at least a little knowledgeable I already ordered new spark plugs and ignition coils which I'll be replacing myself this weekend or early next week when they arrive, on the off chance that's the issue.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:17 PM
eliseo1981
2nd Gear
Do you have a check engine light on at all? I noticed mine was having issue similar to yours (would stall after turning it on in the morning) and once I started it up again it was fine. I cleaned the Intake Vanos Solonoid and it seems to have helped. Here is the link on how to do that.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._Replacing.htm

I just used a paper towel to clean it not brake cleaner.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:11 AM
elan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by eliseo1981
Do you have a check engine light on at all? I noticed mine was having issue similar to yours (would stall after turning it on in the morning) and once I started it up again it was fine. I cleaned the Intake Vanos Solonoid and it seems to have helped. Here is the link on how to do that.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._Replacing.htm

I just used a paper towel to clean it not brake cleaner.
No check engine light. Thanks for the recommendation - I'll have to take a look at cleaning the Vanos

Old 07-31-2015, 03:24 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Sounds like the classic HPFP failing, these HPFP have been a huge issue since forever! Mini switched to a Bosch HPFP to little to late in the R56 Mini's lifespan. No you can't use the Bosch HPFP if your Mini didn't come with one from the factory, the cams are keyed differently for the two different HPFP's.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:15 AM
elan
1st Gear
Thanks for the tip. The dealer didn't seem concerned about the stalling and rough idle. No check engine light and no codes, the dealers response was just "use fuel cleaner". While I'm fine with not having to unnecessary throw money at my car, it's this kink of uncaring response that has become all too common from this particular dealer and just makes me angry every time I go.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:28 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by elan
Thanks for the tip. The dealer didn't seem concerned about the stalling and rough idle. No check engine light and no codes, the dealers response was just "use fuel cleaner". While I'm fine with not having to unnecessary throw money at my car, it's this kink of uncaring response that has become all too common from this particular dealer and just makes me angry every time I go.
Sounds like the dealer didn't do it's job properly, their supposed to measure both fuel pumps pressures separately to determine which pump is weak or below spec. Dealers don't, can't do anything without ECU codes because their trained like robots! It's not for the lack of caring, it's their lack of skills and it sounds like they folded their tail between their legs. I have heard many stories where they just start replacing parts after parts at the owner's expense. They lack true troubleshooting skills, now their lazy waiting for the computer to tell them what's wrong.

I remember back in 2007 when the timing chains started rattling loudly, even the engineer's couldn't figure out what was going on, "it's normal" they stated!

Find a competent independent shop that specializes is Mini's, the independent shop I found is where the owner's went for a second opinion after the dealers failed them. These shops have the equipment to diagnose your Mini just like at the dealers.

Last edited by Systemlord; 08-03-2015 at 02:39 PM.