R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Weird noise when driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:13 AM
rob&JCW
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird noise when driving

Hey peeps,

My name is Robert and I own a 2007 Mini Cooper JCW. I'm new to this whole forum thing. Note that I was having this problem a couple months back and everytime I'd do a full oil change or even add a quart the noise would go away.

I recently got my Thermostat changed along with the hose. So no more coolant leak, that's a great feeling.

Yesterday morning and today as I turn on the Mini a let it warm up, I give it a reverse and start to drive as I drive off I notice this weird rattle noise and NO it does not sound like the timing chain. This is when I'm driving than once my engine is pretty warm the sound goes away. This noise appears to come out when in acceleration. Mainly on 1st-3rd gear.

As I'm driving on the freeway the noise completely stops. Like I said up above this happened a couple months back when doing my oil changes. You could hear the noise on the passenger side maybe a little towards the middle of the dashboard, but not on my side.

I've read about the timing chain and the "death rattle" and I believe that I have the same issue but this problem only happens when I'm "short" on oil and once I do a full change or even add a quart or 2 the noise seems to go away.

Mini owners what can it be?? Any help it would be awesome

Old 07-29-2015, 01:48 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
When you run low on oil you will get the chatter. Sometimes the oil light will flash on turns. Don't let your MINI run low on oil. You need to make sure that if you are leaking oil ( from like the turbo lines ) or running low because of consumption that the fill level is correct. Also on the 07-~09' s Cooper S N14 , they had a service builtin for the timing chain to be inspected for slack, and a new chain and tensioner. Call your local MINI dealership and see if this was done.

Change your oil frequent and often, most do it 7,500 or earlier, don't wait the 15,000 miles like the OBC reads. Also this gives you another chance to check thing out with the engine.

Here is how to read the dip stick and if you have an early 07, you might have the old flex coil oil dip stick. Which is a little harder.

Newer design:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ipstick-2.html

Older design:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-dipstick.html

Also sound like you have a Cooper S with a JCW tuning kit, the Factory JCW of the R56 did not come out till 09'

Thanks and good luck.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-29-2015, 02:08 PM
rob&JCW
1st Gear
Thanks ECS Tuning that helped a lot and thanks for the reply.

I was going through different topics on the forums and came across one that titled "buzzing/humming noise" and I came to discover that the person had the same problem with his Mini.

When switching gears at 3k rpms the "buzz" gets louder and continues rapidly.

I came across a BMW forum and the M3's had the same issue as well. The noise seems to be coming from the passenger side in between the dashboard. Once speed is picked up at 65-75mph the noise seems to go away.

Theres 2 videos on youtube and the owners have the same noise when switching gears at 3k rpms. One owner said on his description that he got the timing tension belt replaced from the engine bay, and the removed the noise.

Can this be the issue that I may have?

Thanks

Old 07-29-2015, 02:11 PM
rob&JCW
1st Gear
Youtube video is titled - 2008 Mini Cooper s engine buzz and the other is titled buzzing on Mini Cooper S

Old 07-29-2015, 02:36 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
You are welcome.

Yea, I would check that chain kit / tensioner was done first by MINI, I would also check the oil level right now on your MINI and make sure you don't have any oil leaks, like the turbo lines or anywhere else. It its low fill it up. If you find a leak , let me know.

I dont want you to run the oil low and hurt the engine. That could be a huge problem and cost $$$$.

The reason I suspect it is it sounds like in the chain location and you say its related to oil level and warm up.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-29-2015, 02:54 PM
rob&JCW
1st Gear
I just checked my oil and the level is right in the middle of the dipstick. And maybe this weekend I can check the chain kit. Hopefully its nothing crazy I dont have the funds for this car. I love my mini but it just gives me headaches at times. I already spend $425 fixing the thermostat, i would of done a DIY but did not have the proper tools.

Hopefully this oil does some good affect.

Thanks ECSTuning !

Old 07-29-2015, 02:56 PM
rob&JCW
1st Gear
How will I know if the real problem is the chain kit/ tensioner?

Old 07-29-2015, 04:23 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Next oil change, look into doing a BG EPR and RF-7 treatment. See if that helps quiet things down a bit. Here is a good how to on NAM for the chain tensioner, but it also provides a lot of good information on it.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-29-2015, 04:37 PM
rob&JCW
1st Gear
Thanks PelicanParts I will look into it.