R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MCS 2008 - water leak driver side footwell

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:01 PM
dangaa
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCS 2008 - water leak driver side footwell

Hi Guys,

I'm usually lurking so please bear with me - I couldn't find what I was looking for so I need to ask outright.

I have more than a couple issues with my 2008 MCS that have just started to manifest. I've been driving around for a couple weeks with the exterior light warning driving me crazy. I took it to the dealership, they scanned and said no bulbs were out. They couldn't pin point the problem so I left it as-is. A couple weeks later and voila the problem went away.

We've had a couple weeks of super dry weather, and just got a good dumping of rain yesterday. Low an behold the exterior light problem came back (both the left/right signals blink fast telling me that it's not just one bulb). But this time it's brought a couple problematic 'friends' with it. Now, the interior dome light and footwell lights intermittently go on/off while i'm driving. Can't seem to control it and it goes on and off as it pleases. Any ideas?

Next, I get the red mini cooper on a jack show up on the dash and all my signals, tach and lights go off on the interior/exterior (other than what looks like headlights). Lighting system failure?

I keep driving and the warnings go back and forth, lights comes back on, signals are available, then bam again they go off. All the while the chime and my dome/footwell lights are going on and off as if i'm in a disco. Went out this morning to check the exterior lights and they all seem to be working but I still have the exterior light warning.

I did some reading and thought it was the drain plug for the sunroof as water was pooling under the mats on the driver side. I removed the body trim wetvac'd everything and dried out the carpets. Pin and connectors on the BCM were drenched so I suspect that caused the electrical issues(haven't re-assembled to test). I also removed the head liner, checked the drain plug and it's intact. I even confirmed by testing it by pouring water down the drain plug (it comes out the body). So if its not the drain plug - are there any other culprits that anyone can think of?

Car is currently parked pending my next move - I need some help!

Old 08-04-2015, 08:39 PM
Quickcat
Neutral
I have the SAME EXACT problem on my wife's 2010! I have also checked the sunroof drain but that is not the problem. I have checked what I think is the drain for the air conditioning condenser and it seems clear. I have the cowl apart and can find no visible leak paths.

Has anyone else had this problem and solved it? I am going to be drying this car out for days. It had standing water in both the front and read drivers side foot wells. I bet I have removed over a gallon of water so far.

Matt

Old 08-05-2015, 03:08 AM
dangaa
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Quickcat
I have the SAME EXACT problem on my wife's 2010! I have also checked the sunroof drain but that is not the problem. I have checked what I think is the drain for the air conditioning condenser and it seems clear. I have the cowl apart and can find no visible leak paths.

Has anyone else had this problem and solved it? I am going to be drying this car out for days. It had standing water in both the front and read drivers side foot wells. I bet I have removed over a gallon of water so far.

Matt
Matt,

Don't think I've removed that much water but then again I don't have the water issue on the passenger side just on the driver side footwell. Let me know if you find the source - still looking for mine!

[Edit] Just realized you put drivers front and rear. Guess we may have the same issue...

Last edited by dangaa; 08-05-2015 at 03:15 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:13 AM
Quickcat
Neutral
Dangaa, if your carpet is wet to the touch then you likely have standing water in the footwell of the car. When I pulled the carpet up while troubleshooting I discovered 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of standing water under the carpet and insulation. The foam under the carpet is soaking wet like a sponge. I have it airing out now.

Matt

Old 08-05-2015, 04:57 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
If its not the sunroof drain coming unhooked or the drain are clogged, check the door seal and the front window seal ( top one ) also. The front window gasket or top seal can be an issue if you had a front window replaced recently .

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-06-2015, 10:45 AM
dangaa
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
If its not the sunroof drain coming unhooked or the drain are clogged, check the door seal and the front window seal ( top one ) also. The front window gasket or top seal can be an issue if you had a front window replaced recently .
ECS,

Haven't had window or windshield replaced - any signs to look for regarding the gaskets?

Does anyone know what type of flow rate we should be getting from the sunroof drains?

I recall seeing a couple drops of water coming from the inside plastic trim above the driver side window now that I'm thinking about it, but don't recall the head liner being soaked wet....

Old 08-06-2015, 11:13 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
" Haven't had window or windshield replaced - any signs to look for regarding the gaskets? "

On the top gasket is it even across the outside and not lifted up ? Can you see betalink ( weatherstripping caulk exposed ) from a bad window replacement.

"
Does anyone know what type of flow rate we should be getting from the sunroof drains? You should be able to open the sunroof and take a cup of water like 12-16 oz and pour it near the drain, you should see it come out under the front bottom quarter panel, if the headliner get soaked or the water drip near the rear view mirror its the drain tube unhooked or leaking. "

It the water just set there and nothing happens the drain tubes are clogged and water under heavy rain will pour over in the inside trim of the sunroof onto the headliner.

" I recall seeing a couple drops of water coming from the inside plastic trim above the driver side window now that I'm thinking about it, but don't recall the head liner being soaked wet.... "

Check the door gasket, is it seated all the way and when you shut the door is the glass up against it all the way around.

Thanks

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-11-2015, 10:07 PM
dangaa
1st Gear
Just wanted to post a follow up on the thread.

Spent the past 2 weeks drying out the front driver and rear carpet liners and double checked the sunroof drains on both driver/passenger side. Everything looks intact.

I've packed everything up, used contact cleaner to salvage the BCM and everything works fine (blinkers/chimes/domelight). I realized as I was packing things up and going over car that a couple small sections of the seal around the driver side door were not snug against the body. Not sure if that's a result of me taking the seat/carpet/panels apart, but I'm hoping that was the source of the water pooling.

I also noticed that as I did a final test that the BCM must have somewhere along the lines affected my driver side window, as it did not automatically go back up after the door was open and then shut. Not sure if that was the case for the longest time or if that's something relatively new. I did the window reset by toggling the window button up and down and it's now fixed. Hopefully the water gremlin is gone and things stay dry.

I'll check periodically to see if water collects but I'm hoping that it doesn't. If it does i'll repost for more ideas. I couldn't see any water stains under the headliner or against the body where the BCM could have been affected so I'm not sure how much water actually came from the sunroof itself.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:25 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks for the update, sounds like that door seal not being in place.

let us know how it goes.