R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MINI brake pads - OEM or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 04:49 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MINI brake pads - OEM or something else?

My 2010 R56 Justa is going to need front brake pads soon (44.4k). Nearest dealer is 180 miles from me, so I am planning on finding a local shop to do the work (any recommendations for Springfield, MO?).

I don't really use the brakes much - I avoid touching the brake pedal if at all possible, never tracked, etc. The few times emergency braking was necessary, I've been really happy with the performance of the OEM brakes on this car - great control and feedback. Almost magical really, the way it stops.

So, my question is:
Should I go with another set of OEM brake pads - or is there something else I should consider?

I'm half afraid my local shop may suggest some other brand of brake pads that might not be quite as good as what I'm used to. Then again, maybe there is something even better?

Old 07-12-2015, 04:53 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Save yourself the money and diy it, it's sooo easy. I like brembo ceramics quite a bit, or the more pricey akebonos. Same performance wither way.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:08 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
Save yourself the money and diy it, it's sooo easy. I like brembo ceramics quite a bit, or the more pricey akebonos. Same performance wither way.
I'm thinking about diy - I do basic maint on a lot of stuff: home wiring, plumbing, tractor, riding mower, bicycles, chain saw, etc - but I've never done brake pads on a car.

I'm pretty sure I could get the brake pads on, but I'm afraid I might miss something else that a more experienced mechanic would catch.

Is it necessary to bleed the lines - or anything else which would need a second person - or can it be done solo?

For a Justa which is never tracked - would Brembo's be overkill? What makes them different from the OEM?

Old 07-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
You will need to devise a clamp type thingie to compress the rear caliper piston. There's some direction on how to do that somewhere in the forum. Here's a link to a suggestion on using needle nose pliers.

Main reason for posting: I see you are from Springfield. Are you aware of MINIs in the Ozarks? Their website is ozarkmini.com and registration is now open. The website lists all the day trips scheduled and they are all worth doing....please forgive the hijack.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:21 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
You will need to devise a clamp type thingie to compress the rear caliper piston. There's some direction on how to do that somewhere in the forum. Here's a link to a suggestion on using needle nose pliers.

Main reason for posting: I see you are from Springfield. Are you aware of MINIs in the Ozarks? Their website is ozarkmini.com and registration is now open. The website lists all the day trips scheduled and they are all worth doing....please forgive the hijack.
Fly'n Brick, when you say "rear caliper piston" - I assume that is part of the FRONT brakes, right?

And thanks for the tip about ozarkmini.com - I'll check them out.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:21 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
You will need to devise a clamp type thingie to compress the rear caliper piston. There's some direction on how to do that somewhere in the forum. Here's a link to a suggestion on using needle nose pliers. Main reason for posting: I see you are from Springfield. Are you aware of MINIs in the Ozarks? Their website is ozarkmini.com and registration is now open. The website lists all the day trips scheduled and they are all worth doing....please forgive the hijack.
he's doing the FRONTS so no tool special tool needed, no the brembos are just a street ceramics. Certainly not overkill but better than oem imo.

Last edited by bavmotors; 07-12-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:55 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Most aftermarket pads aren't better than the stock. But we have found the EBC Redstuff pads and Akebono's to be best as they work well with good feel and lower dust. We keep both in stock
Redstuff
http://www.waymotorworks.com/ebc-red...per-non-s.html

Akebono
http://www.waymotorworks.com/akebono...per-non-s.html

Front pads are pretty easy to do, look in the Bentley manual for help.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-13-2015, 12:16 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Front brake pads should be easy enough for the capable DIY'er. We have a great DIY tech article here that may be of some assistance. Unless you're tracking the car I'd suggest Genuine MINI pads or OEM. You can find an assortment of pads here including Genuine and OEM. I always change out my rotors every time I do my pads, personal preference, so if you're needing to do them you can buy some here as well. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-13-2015, 12:28 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
If you are happy with stock I'd stick with them. I switched to Akebonos and like them but they are different feeling. Change or at the least resurface rotors.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
MINI brake pads - OEM or something else?

+1 on the EBC Reds for street use. I put them on all my cars. Nice feel, progressive and dust a lot less than the factory pads. Front rotors are recommended to be replaced when less than 20.8mm thick.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
another vote for EBC reds ....

if possible do a first DIY with someone who's done it before ... after you've seen it done once you'll have no worries.

OTOH, if you worry about your DIY skills and can't find a kind soul to show you how .... there is NOTHING special about the disks on a MINI. VERY common components and any place that does brakes should be able to knock it out in no time. A good shop won't mind if you bring in the pads you want to use.

bring it by ... I've shown a bunch of folks how to do it.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:46 PM
LedRobster
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can vouch for Akebono's being pretty decent, WAY less brake dust.

If you're doing all 4 corners, goto your local parts store and rent a brake kit, it should have the right tool to turn and compress the caliper pistons on the rear wheels. You can't just use a C-clamp on the rears.

Also, everything I've read says to do new rotors too. They tend to be softer on newer cars and aren't always able to be turned for more use.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:35 PM
Tsquared
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Most aftermarket pads aren't better than the stock. But we have found the EBC Redstuff pads and Akebono's to be best as they work well with good feel and lower dust. We keep both in stock
Redstuff
http://www.waymotorworks.com/ebc-red...per-non-s.html

Akebono
http://www.waymotorworks.com/akebono...per-non-s.html

Front pads are pretty easy to do, look in the Bentley manual for help.
How often does the wear indicator have to be replaced when the pads are almost gone?

Old 07-13-2015, 03:50 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tsquared
How often does the wear indicator have to be replaced when the pads are almost gone?
if it hasn't been triggered the sensor can be reused if removed carefully.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:53 PM
michi1201
2nd Gear
MCS brake replacements

Originally Posted by LedRobster
I can vouch for Akebono's being pretty decent, WAY less brake dust.

If you're doing all 4 corners, goto your local parts store and rent a brake kit, it should have the right tool to turn and compress the caliper pistons on the rear wheels. You can't just use a C-clamp on the rears.

Also, everything I've read says to do new rotors too. They tend to be softer on newer cars and aren't always able to be turned for more use.
++1 for Akebonos. I did my rears first and the difference in brake dust on the wheels was phenomenal. About 4 months later I did the fronts. Same thing! I seldom wash the wheels anymore and they look great. I haven't noticed any real difference in the braking performance. I replaced the rotors at the same time as the pads. Be careful to break the pads in as outlined in a few of the videos. Multiple strong, steady slow-downs from 60mph or so, to heat everything up and remove the glazed finish on the new rotors. Love the brakes now. Hated the messy dust on wheels from the stock pads.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:33 PM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
the wear sensor never needs replacing if you tie it up out of the way the first time you do the job. Now why would you baby the brakes? Cheap and easy to replace, stomp on them as intended

Old 07-13-2015, 07:49 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
+1 for EBC reds, I use my car almost only on the street (I've done one track day and while I might do more, this is my car for getting to work and the grocery store) but they feel as good or better than the OEM, make less dust, and I think they last a little longer.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:57 PM
scott13
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Akebono pads for me on front then on the rear when it was time for me to replace them. The braking grab I estimate to be 90% compared to OEM but the absence of brake dust is like night and day.
It is the best thing I have done to my MINI. No more looking at my wheels and seeing tons of brake dust shortly after cleaning them.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:01 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Akebono Euro, EBC , or Hawk are a couple of the better choices other then OEM ( which dust allot) . Go for the akebono Euro, the EBC Green or the Hawk HPS or ceramics. Unless you track or want something more aggressive , then the EBC Reds or Hawk HP+.

Here is the 2010 R56 MINI Cooper ( NON S ) . You will select " not for JCW sport brakes " , if you have the stock calipers and not the bigger red Brembo calipers.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2010-Cooper-R56-Base-Coupe-L4_1.6L_N12B16A/Braking/Pads/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-14-2015, 02:40 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You should use the stock pads, because you really enjoy cleaning brake dust off your wheels every 30 minutes...

Old 07-14-2015, 04:08 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
Thanks for all the helpful replies!!

The Bentley manual has been ordered - "MINI Cooper (R55, R56, R57) Service Manual: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 (Hardcover)" - and I've looked at some YouTube videos - I can do this!

Many have complained about the dust from the OEM pads - I can't say I like it, but it doesn't bother me too much. I will gladly suffer the dust if getting rid of it means I will loose even a small amount of stopping power or feedback. Obviously, if I can get MINI performance without the dust, I won't miss it.

PelicanParts.com said: "I'd suggest Genuine MINI pads or OEM. You can find an assortment of pads here including Genuine and OEM."
… I have been using the terms "Genuine MINI" and "OEM" as interchangeable - is there some difference in the meaning between those two I've been missing?

gjxj said: "Now why would you baby the brakes? Cheap and easy to replace, stomp on them as intended"
… true enough - but once I finally get my Justa up to speed, I like to keep it there. And some might argue that brakes turn premium gasoline into dead polar bears.

The last unresolved question in my mind is whether or not to replace the rotors. I'll want to pull my wheels and take a close look - and some careful measurements - before I decide.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:36 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
oh .... a Justa ......

just kidding ......

Old 07-14-2015, 05:24 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
The oem pads aren't worth the dust, I don't find them to be that great anyhow. I've driven the brand new f56 which felt incredibly soft compared to my budget street setup.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:42 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
oh .... a Justa ......

just kidding ......
Capt_bj,

I don't get it - what's your point?

Old 07-14-2015, 07:45 PM
runswithsizzers
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
The oem pads aren't worth the dust, I don't find them to be that great anyhow. I've driven the brand new f56 which felt incredibly soft compared to my budget street setup.
Can't comment on the new F56 - mine is a 2010 R56.

So what brakes are on your "budget street setup" that you prefer over the F56?

Quick Reply: R56 MINI brake pads - OEM or something else?