R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 choosing & installing the oil catch can

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 05:15 AM
genik
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
choosing & installing the oil catch can

1. How do i select the best oil catch can for my needs? I don't want anything too expensive not something cheap. So what should the best oil catch can be?
2. Where is the best place in the engine bay to install it and how is that done?

Old 06-06-2016, 08:37 PM
lemarzmini
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by genik
1. How do i select the best oil catch can for my needs? I don't want anything too expensive not something cheap. So what should the best oil catch can be?
2. Where is the best place in the engine bay to install it and how is that done?
Which mini do you have?

Anyways, Check out M7 and BSH

Old 06-07-2016, 05:15 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Oil Catch Can

Originally Posted by genik
Great selection here plus background articles to help with your choice! Please feel free to ask any questions. We carry Gen 1 and Gen 2 plus competition versions.

http://new.minimania.com/Search_Resu...atch%20can/All

http://new.minimania.com/article/311...n_Instructions

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:32 PM
sgscomps
4th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
ECS Tuning has a nice looking unit, hoses and mounting kit are not included https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2008-...ine/ES2816993/

Old 06-08-2016, 03:39 AM
Anakist
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The ECS one is the best I have seen. The point of a catch can is to get the oil to condense out of the air stream and collect in the bottom of the can. ECS are the only ones who specifically say theirs is baffled and give a diagram of how it works.

Absolute best bet would be to make one. This is the best design I have seen hands down, whether made or bought. Baffled, media for the oil to condense on, a nice big reservoir, cheap and easy to make.

You will have to find the best method for the R56 though. All my research is for the R53 so I can't help.

James

Old 06-08-2016, 12:51 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Oil Catch Can

http://new.minimania.com/part/NME465...2-R53-Cooper-S $169.96 including all connections and mounts.

BSH takes their catch cans seriously. Externally all cans are welded together to avoid the all too common leaking issues bolt together setups have. Internally better than the competition by incorporating mesh baffling to slow down oil vapors so they cool and condense inside the can instead of your charge piping/engine. All connections are made with push lock fittings and hose to limit the use of hose clamps that would otherwise clutter up the bay. Integrated drain fittings into the base of the catch can makes maintenance a breeze.

All of the BSH catch can systems are designed to be completely reversible and mate up with all factory pcv connections utilizing vehicle specific billet connectors. Kit ships complete with a laser cut stainless steel bracket that will for direct mounting to an easy to access bolt in the engine compartment.

For Gen 2 R56 $149

http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NME2...7-Gen2-R55-r61

Filter out the performance robbing oil mist in your crankcase vent system. This oil mist creates an oil film in critical places throughout the engine -- such as the intercooler -- where clean surfaces are critical to maximized heat transfer and on your MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow) where the film will cause the sensor to send a false signal to your ECU killing performance. Install an M7 Engineered...Tested...Proven Oil Catch Can System today!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:03 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I just ended up buying the cheapest ebay oil catch can. With enough length of tubing I don't see it being much less effective than these more expensive ones. May be a bit harder to fit since it's generic tho.

Will post results

Old 06-18-2016, 05:48 AM
Todd Gerken
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many will look down on you for that but here is something to consider if going the cheap way. Many of the ebay ones have nothing in the can but air. this seems to at least help make them functional at a low investment cost.

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo...nlet-tube.html

Old 06-19-2016, 09:04 AM
genik
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lemarzmini
Which mini do you have?
Its a 2008 R56S.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:11 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Todd Gerken
Many will look down on you for that but here is something to consider if going the cheap way. Many of the ebay ones have nothing in the can but air. this seems to at least help make them functional at a low investment cost.

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo...nlet-tube.html
Thanks,

Perhaps this would have been a better cheap option
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301994771673?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old 07-13-2016, 07:36 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
So I ended up giving in and going the easy route.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:44 AM
Todd Gerken
2nd Gear
Looks good! I am just about to install my engine Saturday then mine will be going in.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:28 PM
sani
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What size do the ports need to be? On ebay I found 9mm, 15mm, and 19mm options....

tia,

sani

Old 09-28-2017, 03:52 AM
F56-JCDub
5th Gear
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts
I want one of these for my new '18 JCW, but M7 doesn't have them yet.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:37 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Update: I would not recommend the M7 catch can. It has made a slight difference. However it is not baffled. I'm sure more oil would be stored in there if it caught it better.

The following users liked this post:
sani (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 10:47 AM
sani
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dr. Spade
Update: I would not recommend the M7 catch can. It has made a slight difference. However it is not baffled. I'm sure more oil would be stored in there if it caught it better.
Hi, do you know what diameter the ports on the catch can should be? There are a variety of port sizes available on ebay.

sani

Old 09-30-2017, 05:15 PM
sani
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sani
Hi, do you know what diameter the ports on the catch can should be? There are a variety of port sizes available on ebay.

sani
Yeah, I know the port size. 19mm.

sani

Old 08-12-2018, 02:12 PM
Frixos
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dumb question:
What's the purpose of an oil catch can?
Is this only for Cooper S or for base Cooper as well?

Old 08-13-2018, 10:03 AM
Ketchup
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Frixos
Dumb question:
What's the purpose of an oil catch can?
Is this only for Cooper S or for base Cooper as well?
It's to "catch" the excess oil vapor that gets past the PCV and sucked into the intake and foul the intake valves.
The catch can should separate the oil particulates so they settle in the can and not go into the intake.

I would assume that both S and non-s may have the issue...not sure.

Frixos (08-13-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 07:35 PM
ObjectsInMirrorsAreLosing
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Dr. Spade
So I ended up giving in and going the easy route.

So, I really like the hose adapters you've got here. I know this picture is somewhat old, but I'm wondering where I find adapters like that. I have a 2011 MCS with the N18 engine. I plan to put my catch can right where it is in this picture. I'm reluctant to cut the PCV hose until I know I've got some adapters that will connect the output of the PCV valve hose to the input of the can, and then the output of the can to the input to just before the turbo. Any pointers greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2018, 07:46 PM
Ketchup
2nd Gear
The M7 catch can from ECS Tuning comes with all of the fittings as you see in that picture. Super easy install and the mounting location seems to be made for that!
Also, it's not baffled so I put some steel wool in it to be more effective.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:48 AM
ohiojcw
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ObjectsInMirrorsAreLosing
So, I really like the hose adapters you've got here. I know this picture is somewhat old, but I'm wondering where I find adapters like that. I have a 2011 MCS with the N18 engine. I plan to put my catch can right where it is in this picture. I'm reluctant to cut the PCV hose until I know I've got some adapters that will connect the output of the PCV valve hose to the input of the can, and then the output of the can to the input to just before the turbo. Any pointers greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Honestly, If you are looking for a clean install id look at BSH... thet come with machined adapters that plug n' play directly into the PCV ports etc... about as clean as an install there gets....

heres mine on my N14...

Jeffrey Daitz (09-06-2022)
Old 08-16-2018, 11:00 AM
trouble1943
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Needed for 3rd gen?

Have been reading about catch cans for years. Have an F56. Are catch cans needed on 3rd gen Minis, or have they solved the carbon build up issue?

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2018, 11:06 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
i bought 2 cans and all the required fittings & hoses for less than a single BSH or M7 can.

*time to hurt feelings: I know everyone has a real hard-on for OCC's. Truth is .. you dont need one. Listen carefully here -> OCC's do NOT stop oil buildup on your valves. DO NOT. They do NOT prevent super knock, or oil vapor into the combustion chamber either. What they will do quite well -> prevent or help with oil contamination from keeping out unwanted condensate and water vapor. Thats it! Now.. do you need a can thats been flow benched and costs 200$ ..? Hell to **** no you dont. Its all a gimmic and while a lighter wallet may make you feel good, it sure didnt accomplish anything else. Overall its the hot temp your engine is reaching that is causing the majority of the issue & oil vapor. Get your ECU flashed and it will run 30-40f cooler... all of this oil vaping issue gets resolved and a can isnt needed at all. Matter of fact - mine havent filled with ANYTHING since the flash and resetting thermostat temp to ~175f instead of the OEM ~230f

"But butbut" they'll say.. "my can blahblahblah" Do you get a milkshake in your can?! Sure you do! because water naturally condensates in the empty surface of the can when your engine/oil cools down (like on the outside of your soda or inside of your windows...moisture builds up). Keeping this crap out of oil keeps it healthy longer. More than 90% of what ANY OCC fills up with is water.. not oil... So, I ask - whats all your fancy baffle science you paid for? A = nothing at all.

Last edited by cornjuice; 08-16-2018 at 11:09 AM. Reason: adding
Old 08-20-2018, 04:10 PM
Seaswood
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Oil can

Get your ECU flashed and it will run 30-40f cooler... all of this oil vaping issue gets resolved and a can isnt needed at all. Matter of fact - mine havent filled with ANYTHING since the flash and resetting thermostat temp to ~175f instead of the OEM ~230

So what is ECU flashing?

what I heard was you had to empty oil from can when it filled, so it has worked for some people.
May need be proper installation to work or if anyone has experience of collecting oil?

Quick Reply: R56 choosing & installing the oil catch can