R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 Brake light issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 08:02 AM
JaySteel
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 Brake light issue

Hi everyone,
I don't work on cars if I can avoid it because simple jobs always seem to turn into major headaches. But I was convinced by desperate friends to attempt to fit new rear brake pads on their R56 Cooper. The job was a complete disaster as usual. Both calliper pistons refused to budge using the proper wind-back tool. They were so stiff that I've completely bent the bar on the wind-back tool trying to get them to turn. Anyway after 4 hours (yes 4 hours to change brake pads!!) I finally got the pads fitted and a new sensor wire fitted too.

The problem now is I still have the brake warning light showing on the dashboard. I took the car round to a mechanic who plugged his laptop into the car and it's come up with code "5E5D" which indicates worn rear pads or a dodgy sensor. I even changed to sensor again but this didn't help. The code is permanent so my mechanic couldn't reset it it using his laptop.

I have searched on-line for answers and there are long tedious methods listing the steps to clear this code from in the car. Unfortunately I'm struggling to understand them and I can't get this code to clear.

Can anyone please explain in simple terms how to clear this?

Thanks,

Jason

Old 05-24-2015, 11:40 AM
JaySteel
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This video has done the trick. I had to watch it several times as the guy rushes through it.

Now having worked on (and driven) this R56 all day I know for sure that I won't ever be selling my R53 to buy one. There are so many things that bug me about the R56. I've never been a huge fan of the looks although there are some great looking examples on here that would've tempted me previously.
I prefer the entire bonnet lifting up like it does on an R53 with the headlights included.
I hate the fact that the engine has stupid plastic covers over everything including the battery and brake fluid reservoir.
I hate the indicator stalk.
I hate the electronic key-fob thing instead of a normal key.
I hate the eco stop / start crap. It's just another thing to turn off every time I start the car.
I hate the radio fitment that would make fitting an after-market stereo awkward.
I hate the fuel gauge. I had to try and work out if the fuel tank was empty of completely full as it was illuminated bright orange permanently.
I had to search for the button to turn the interior light off as it's no longer positioned with the light.
Not confined to an R56 but I hate the sunroof that allows the sun to beat down on your head in bright sunlight. Doesn't it have a sliding cover?
I hate the flat top on the top of the gearknob. How is that good ergonomics?
etc, etc, etc . . . . .

You might be able to tell that after spending 12 hours to complete a 1 hour job to fit new rear brake pads I'm slightly unhappy with this car! lol

Jason