R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Test car for best Oil Catch can ever! RX Performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 10:10 AM
Tommy Liveoak
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test car for best Oil Catch can ever! RX Performance

Hey guys and gals I am trying to get the RX Performance Oil catch can made for our N14 cars 2007-10 MCS or up to 2012 JCW).

As we know valve coking on our cars is a real issue forcing us to pay for walnut blast and lose power or worse premature engine failure. I think RX has the best quality can and really addresses the issue of separating the oil more than any other. They are ready to do the finale R and D but need a car to machine the billet adapters. This kit is head and shoulders better made and the concept is much more science than any other and I have done a lot of research to find them. I currently have another major brand and that will be for sale as soon as I can get mine!

Here is a link to the site for information.

https://www.rxperformanceproducts.com/

Bottom-line: If you are near or can get to [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Sarasota, Florida 34232 they willinstall for free and offer a generous discount to do this. Should take about 3 hours. They have OEM and Aerospace background so this will be done right. Why am I doing this?? I want one and am on the west coast or I would be there myself.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]PM me for more details.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 05-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
good god, 450$ for a catchcan?

Old 05-12-2015, 11:03 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Yeah, but free installation!

Old 05-12-2015, 11:09 AM
Tommy Liveoak
2nd Gear
This is one that does much better in every way compared to the other oil catch cans. Do it right once and save in the end I always say.

The person doing this will get a big discount for the help. There of course another option if a person in the area that does this and does not want it just wants to help.

I would give them my M7 CF oil catch can for their time.

Just let me know.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:23 AM
Ta87
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to burst your bubble but there isn't anything posted on the the RX site scientifically or soundly justifies their claim on being head and shoulders above the rest (I apologize if it's there, but I missed it). It states what every other catch-can producer states.

How exactly is this one better than one from NM Engineering, BSH, M7, etc...? I'm genuinely curious since I'll be in the market once I get back to the states.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:19 AM
dawgscj7
2nd Gear
I'd be happy to test run it on my Autocross car. Pm me.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:50 AM
Tommy Liveoak
2nd Gear
Dawgscj7 PM sent
Are you in FL?

Old 05-13-2015, 10:57 AM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
why do they need a "car" to machine a catch can ??? it's an inline can you mount remote??? if your taking about the adaptors to go in the valve cover, the dealer sells the fittings, ECS and other companies sell plugs. Sounds confusing to me....

Old 05-13-2015, 10:59 AM
Tommy Liveoak
2nd Gear
TA87 watch the first video on the install page. He shows the construction of his and other cans. Easy to see the differences in the baffles, filtration, connections, valves etc.

Also his cans has a clean side separator and filters in that before the can, filters in the can, pulls from clean and dirty side of the system, has check valves to control flow. Has vacuum input from one section for idle to below boost and another vacuum source for on boost.

Watch that Vid and read the install instructions for the other cars and you can see it yourself.

I have the M7 can it only pulls from the dirty side and only filters on boost since that is were the vacuum is pulled from and then put back in before the turbo. Also pls read the catch can challenge section where they filter after the normal cans and catch everything it lets by.

So no bubbles busted just check out the site more and make your decision. If you don't agree no worries I will have a M7 can you can buy from me hopefully soon and we both can be happy.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:01 AM
Tommy Liveoak
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ridinDirty
why do they need a "car" to machine a catch can ??? it's an inline can you mount remote??? if your taking about the adaptors to go in the valve cover, the dealer sells the fittings, ECS and other companies sell plugs. Sounds confusing to me....
They have the cans and all the parts they want to machine the fittings that will connect directly to the valve cover PCV points and intake. Others do just splice into the hose and that maybe what I do to get mine on if I can't find a car for them to fit.

So they have the can and system just making a car specific kit for us as they do for the other brands they support.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:26 AM
Tommy Liveoak
2nd Gear
Bumping still looking for a car in or near Sarasota, Florida 34232.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:03 AM
blunderbird
2nd Gear
I mailed them the detailed drawings of the system as well as fittings from my BSH can almost 2 months ago, and offered to help them prototype it remotely since I am on the West Coast and haven't heard anything back. They really had everything they needed IMO...been radio silence ever since then, and haven't returned any of my calls. :(

Their can is much better by design than the others out there, multiple stages vs single (if anything like some of the crappy can designs out there). I am a believer after doing a lot of studying and discussion with them, it is much better by design.

The other issue with the single stage catch cans is that they only catch one side of the PCV system. If you study it and use your car brain for a minute, you will realize why there is two PCV hoses coming out of the valve cover. When under engine vacuum, the rear hose is what is sucking into the intake. The BSH, nm, et al only capture the side that is active under boost (vacuum source is the turbo inlet). Plugging the rear hose is a bad idea IMO, since you are eliminating half the PCV system essentially, and it is going to allow pressure to buildup in the crank case until you make boost and it activates the other side of the system.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:56 PM
enoe01
2nd Gear
I am an hour and a half South of Sarasota. I cant afford their catch can but if they want to use my car and provide one free of charge I will gladly help and also advertise their name on my car for them... Just an idea.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:22 PM
Tommy Liveoak
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by enoe01
I am an hour and a half South of Sarasota. I cant afford their catch can but if they want to use my car and provide one free of charge I will gladly help and also advertise their name on my car for them... Just an idea.
Send your email, Phone number, and name and I can let them know.

Not sure if it would be free they said they would do install and a substantial discount. Not sure how much that equals but if you do it and their deal is not good enough I would send you my M7 Carbon Fiber catch can on me so I can get this done for my car.

I am sure we can get this done together!

Old 05-19-2015, 06:06 PM
enoe01
2nd Gear
Ok guys I am headed for fitment and installation this coming Sunday. I will let you all know how it goes!

Erik

Old 05-19-2015, 07:55 PM
Ghetto Mr Bob
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm curious to see how this turns out. I personally have an N18 but if I had an N14 I'd be right there with you. Sarasota is only about 1-1/2 hrs from me also.

Let us know how it turns out

Old 05-24-2015, 06:20 PM
enoe01
2nd Gear
Catch Can Install is completed! It looks awesome and will be a breeze for anyone to install. While I was there we did the walnut shell blasting of my valves...they were so coked you couldn't recognize the valve. The cleaning and picking did wonders for it. You can really feel the missed horses, torque and missing boost now. They also did the noise maker delete and made a billet aluminum cap for the Y fitting off the main hose. The car drives like a dream now, sounds a lot more throaty so much so the wife even said it sounds better...WOW... Anyways the can is definitely a welcomed and needed addition to any Mini. They already have the N18 ready to go so if you have an N18 what are you waiting for, go order it now!

Thanks to Tracy and Tommy at RX Performance you guys rock and I cant wait to head back up for more mods and fixes! Keep up the good work!

Erik

Old 05-24-2015, 07:04 PM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by enoe01
Catch Can Install is completed! It looks awesome and will be a breeze for anyone to install. While I was there we did the walnut shell blasting of my valves...they were so coked you couldn't recognize the valve. The cleaning and picking did wonders for it. You can really feel the missed horses, torque and missing boost now. They also did the noise maker delete and made a billet aluminum cap for the Y fitting off the main hose. The car drives like a dream now, sounds a lot more throaty so much so the wife even said it sounds better...WOW... Anyways the can is definitely a welcomed and needed addition to any Mini. They already have the N18 ready to go so if you have an N18 what are you waiting for, go order it now!

Thanks to Tracy and Tommy at RX Performance you guys rock and I cant wait to head back up for more mods and fixes! Keep up the good work!

Erik
. Pictures?

Old 05-24-2015, 08:33 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
It is expensive but if it actually works it will more than pay for itself.

Waiting on pictures of the install....

Old 05-26-2015, 10:35 AM
67morris
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Very interested to see some pictures as well.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:05 AM
minivinnie92
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Test car for best Oil Catch can ever! RX Performance

I feel this is pointless with out pictures :( I got so excited til I scrolled down

Old 05-26-2015, 12:26 PM
Tuner Boost
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tommy and enoe1 have lots of pics....hope they post them soon! I forgot my Camera at home (Alzheimer's kicking in).

Old 05-26-2015, 02:46 PM
blunderbird
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
It is expensive but if it actually works it will more than pay for itself.
THIS.

After spending $5-800 on carbon cleaning, which is a recurring maintenance...even if the catch can was $500 and doubled the service interval...it's still worth it. This can looks to be much more effective than that even.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:08 PM
enoe01
2nd Gear
Sorry guys Ive been so busy since I last posted. I Promise to post pics tomorrow of the final install. Tommy haa a lot of pics of the install process and a video that we are still waiting on the final edited copy. It is worth the wait. I haven't even got to drive to drive the car since I posted last. I know everyone is saying but the price is too much, well ask your self what cost more a rebuild of your motor or a catch can and walnut blast? I will be back soon with pics!

Old 05-27-2015, 04:52 PM
enoe01
2nd Gear
Pics!!!

Here are some pics of the final install.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Attached Thumbnails Test car for best Oil Catch can ever! RX Performance-20150527_165719.jpg   Test car for best Oil Catch can ever! RX Performance-20150527_165730.jpg   Test car for best Oil Catch can ever! RX Performance-20150527_165739.jpg   Test car for best Oil Catch can ever! RX Performance-20150527_165746.jpg   Test car for best Oil Catch can ever! RX Performance-20150527_165756.jpg  

Test car for best Oil Catch can ever! RX Performance-20150527_165811.jpg   Test car for best Oil Catch can ever! RX Performance-20150527_165831.jpg  

Quick Reply: R56 Test car for best Oil Catch can ever! RX Performance