R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Black Jack on Black Roof Sun Roof?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 02:00 PM
HogWldFLTR
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Jack on Black Roof Sun Roof?

The Decal offered by Mini states that it is for white roofs; why so? Seems like it would look nice on a Black roof and particularly with the matching mirror covers. Any one understand why the item states that it is for white roofs? This goes on a tinted sun roof anyway.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Black Jack on Black car

Not that it's a Black Jack on a Black Roof, but it may give you an idea of what it might look like. I would love to have a mat black MINI with this on it.

Attached Thumbnails Black Jack on Black Roof Sun Roof?-image.jpg  
Old 05-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If I remember correctly there are 2 different decals. One is for a metal roof and one is for a sun roof.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:40 PM
spingq
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's because the decal is not solid - it relies on the color of the roof to "fill in" the areas that are meant to be white in the graphic. Even if you might like the look of the graphic over a black background instead of white, MINI can't rightly sell a product with an advertised end result unless they clarify beforehand what's required to make it turn out that way. But unless you have a flat black roof, you likely won't see the blackjack design very well since one of the two colors of the roof graphic is already gloss black.

As far as sunroofs go - MINI says their full roof graphics can't go on cars with sunroofs but this is not true. The decal just needs to be trimmed in the proper places to allow the sunroof to function properly. MINI probably got too many people complaining about how the roof graphics obscure the view out of the sunroof glass, so they made special "sunroof only" graphics that are printed on a mesh-like vinyl to allow a somewhat unobstructed view through the glass.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:57 PM
HogWldFLTR
2nd Gear
These comments were on the sun roof graphics decal part no. 51140418665. Does Mini make a white sunroof? All I've seen have been black. Thanks for the replies so far. I'm still confused. I'm guessing it was due to using boiler plate material for the description.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:07 PM
spingq
4th Gear
I've never heard of MINI specifying roof colors for their sunroof-only decals. It really doesn't matter if they do anyway, since the sunroof graphics are dealer installed accessories and the dealer will pretty much put anything you want on your car at purchase - they make a fortune off that stuff. As far as I know, none of the sunroof-only graphics rely on the roof color to show through, but I could be wrong. If they did though, you can be sure it is black that they require. For mine, having a black roof with sunroof was essentially the same as having a solid black roof, so I just had to make some extra cuts to any of the white squares that covered the sunroof gaps.

Previously I had a white roof MINI with a sunroof, so when I installed checkers, I had to use white squares over the sunroof and black for the rest. With creativity, having a sunroof on either a black or white roof really doesn't matter. It's only when using the MINI configurator that you'll run into incompatibilities.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:41 AM
HogWldFLTR
2nd Gear
Is there such a thing as a white Sun/Moon roof? If so then the white only disclaimer could be correct. If no then it is a Mini typo.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:30 PM
spingq
4th Gear
no - only dark glass.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Sandylp
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the checkered decal on my sunroof. The white squares are there, but there are no black squares, just the sunroof glass. It took me a long time to even notice.