R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Where to go next, NA or Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:37 PM
brmasson07
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go next, NA or Turbo?

I currently own a '07 Cooper S, and I absolutely love the car, even with it's flaws. Being young and dumb, I went ahead and purchased it last summer without really fully knowing the reliability issues with the N14 turbo engines, and now they're starting to show. All the parts that would typically go wrong (timing chain tensioner, water pump, HPFP, thermostat, etc.) have been replaced under warranty by the previous owner, but now there's two uncovered issues I need to fix, and that's the vacuum pump (A fairly easy fix, seems like a DIY project for a given weekend), which ticks while the car is running, and the intake manifold, which according to the dealer, is cracked near the ports(?) on cylinders 1 and 2 and needs to be entirely replaced. I just don't have the time, resources, and know how to do that myself, so I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a shop to replace it.

To get to the point, barring any sort of post-grad increase in salary here soon, I'm thinking about trading in/selling the '07 S and switching over to two cars, one for the summer, and a beater to take on the harsh Minnesota winters. I'm pretty much bound and determined to get another MINI, but I have two options in mind and a question to decide it.

It's going to come down to either a 2011+ N18 Cooper S (Including any JCW's I can find in my price range), which will have less miles and seem to be a bit more reliable, or... a 2008+ plain Jane regular Cooper. The question I have though, is I'm wondering what kind of luck others are having with increasing the power without adding forced induction. The turbo is great and all, but I'd like a quick and nimble car that's a little more reliable without the forced induction added into the equation. Any thoughts or results to share?

Old 04-27-2015, 02:28 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
If you can replace the vacuum pump then you can replace the intake manifold. I'd almost hazard to say that it is easier than the vacuum pump. It's really only a Saturday morning job. The intake hose can be the most frustrating part to take off/put on.

BTW they didn't start using the N18 in the JCW models until 2013.

There are not really any power adders for the normally aspirated N12/N16 engines.

Have you consider get a nice 2005/2006 supercharged R53?

Old 04-27-2015, 12:11 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
In my personal opinion, I find NA to be a bit more reliable than turbo charged cars. If you're looking in terms of reliability, I'd go NA.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-28-2015, 07:10 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're impression of the Mini experience is around the S, from a performance perspective a Justa will be dull and boring. Stick with an S.

I second the idea of looking at the R53 or even a 2007-2008 R52.

I have an 06 R53 with 140k miles that is still going strong. My adult son will be inheriting it when he gets back to the states this fall. I would expect another 100k miles or more out of it, assuming a 22 year old fairly new driver doesn't wreck it first

Old 04-28-2015, 07:50 AM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Justa is what it is HP wise, and really cannot be increased so for a winter driver on the right tires it might be a good choice for you as a second car at the right price. Few mechanical woes, great mpg, and the fun factor is still very high, imo. The clubman might be worth a look at with its larger carrying capacity.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:23 PM
brmasson07
Neutral
Thanks for the input guys, I've had some thought about it and I'm going to stick with an S, probably a newer model with an N18, hopefully at the right price. I'm not sure what the plans are for the current '07 model, probably just fix it up and see what kind of trade in value it will fetch towards a new car.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:41 PM
mcc21
1st Gear
As the above people already mention, there is a huge power difference between the Justa vs. S. If you had the S already you will be disappointed.

Go for a 2011+ N18 S. Yes a JCW is really nice, but unless its the styling and factory 'power' / suspension / brakes upgrades, then you won't need to spend the extra cash on a JCW.

I have the N18 MCS, and I patiently waited for the right pieces on the marketplace. For $600 I was able to ****** up a fJCW exhaust, JB+, and K&N intake. This makes power close to the JCW. As for suspension you can easily upgrade it with coilovers + rear sway bar and you have a mean nimble handling MCS.

That leaves only the JCW body kit, unless you really want the look of the JCW then its best to just add mods to the MCS and get the same if not better value than the JCW.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:49 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mcc21
That leaves only the JCW body kit, unless you really want the look of the JCW then its best to just add mods to the MCS and get the same if not better value than the JCW.

And the brakes, and the turbo, and the even more power when you get it tuned...

If it were me, my next car might be a Focus RS or a Golf R., or a very nice Volvo V60 wagon with Polestar power... Yeah, that's the ticket. 450Hp AWD wagon with Recaros, and Brembos... All of those are probably out of your price range...

But I don't think buying a used MINI is in my vocabulary...

Old 04-30-2015, 08:07 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I did not find my n/a R56 dull or boring. If straight line acceleration was my single criteria of performance, I wouldn't choose any MINI.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:29 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
I did not find my n/a R56 dull or boring. If straight line acceleration was my single criteria of performance, I wouldn't choose any MINI.
ditto lol

Old 04-30-2015, 10:52 AM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Me three, I have a 69 Jag Xj with a Chevy 383 for stoplights,... actually it handles really well too

Old 05-01-2015, 03:31 AM
velvetcows
3rd Gear

Apparently forced induction only works in a straight line.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:08 AM
dongood
4th Gear

My comment was for someone who currently drives an S and is considering a Justa. I would say something different to someone considering a Mini for the first time.

People who choose the S do so for the better overall performance.

Sorry, but as someone who has driven exclusively the R53 and R59S I find driving a Justa to be "dull and boring". Sure it turns the same but the lack of power is very noticeable.

And I'm not talking pulling away from a traffic light. I'm referring to accelerating from 50 to 70 on the freeway, accelerating out of a turn on a mountain road, etc.

Also the sound of the supercharger or turbo doing its thing adds to the driving experience.

When I take my car in to the dealer for service I always insist on a S for my loaner.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:46 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Thanks for the lecture, but I do own a highly modified Lotus Elan and a R59S. I still don't find the n/a R56 dull or boring. The later is far more fun for me in street class autocrossing course because you can get all the power down coming out of corners and drive the beejus out of it. With an R5x S lacking a mechanical LSD you feather the throttle out of the corners or spin the tires. And never once did I find the n/a so lacking in power that I couldn't pass at will on two lane roads. The point here isn't that your opinion is wrong, but that it is merely your personal opinion and not a universal truth.

I will confess to rather liking the feeling of being displaced from one place to another by a modified Ford GT, but I don't think I'd like it for a daily driver.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:38 AM
krashlocke
2nd Gear
The N18 doesn't really improve the reliability situation a whole lot. Let's just call it the MINI tax and get to know our local mechanics by name.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:23 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Thanks for the lecture, but I do own a highly modified Lotus Elan and a R59S. I still don't find the n/a R56 dull or boring. The later is far more fun for me in street class autocrossing course because you can get all the power down coming out of corners and drive the beejus out of it. With an R5x S lacking a mechanical LSD you feather the throttle out of the corners or spin the tires. And never once did I find the n/a so lacking in power that I couldn't pass at will on two lane roads. The point here isn't that your opinion is wrong, but that it is merely your personal opinion and not a universal truth.
I was not aware I was giving a lecture. Rather I was trying to be very careful not to bruise fragile egos.

I very clearly stated that someone coming from an S would find the Justa less than satisfying in the performance category. Even with all of your comments I still fail to see why that statement is wrong.

Sorry if you took my comments as an offense. That was not the intent.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:03 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
I wasn't offended.

As I said, it is incorrect to state that anyone now driving an "S" would find an na R56 dull and boring or "less than satisfying in the performance category" as you now put it because although it is true for you and some others it is false for others. The world is a diverse place.