R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 An ode to the R56s

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 02:43 PM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
An ode to the R56s

Just to properly frame this ode to my R56s:
I had a 2003 R53 for 2 years (sport suspension, 16” rims, sunroof, leather, HK, manual 6 ). Recently I test drove both the F56 3-banger (1 day loaner) and F56s 4-banger (test drive at dealer), both with auto-boxes. My 2013 R56s is a bit more bare bones w/o sunroof or leather (read lighter), still 16” rims and HK and manual 6, and no sport suspension. Also, what follows is my opinion, FWIW . I know tastes and preferences differ – these here are mine.

I love my R56s! I would not trade it for the F56/s, and only maybe for an R53. What makes the R56s almost perfect?

1) The engine: the engine is so sweet, with the JB+ it has the perfect power and torque bands, plenty of low rpm grunt, plenty of revs and pulling power. Sweet sound, and best of all, the fuel economy is remarkable. I almost exclusively drive in Sports mode. The old R53 Chrysler plant was also sweet, and I loved that ‘charger whine , but fuel economy was just abysmal ! I know the F will be more tunable, but my R56s JB+ has all the power and torque it needs. I was underwhelmed by both F engines as I drove them, but largely put that down to the slushboxes . I don’t think I will ever like a slushbox, though I tried my sisters VW Polo in Europe with a 7 speed DSG – now that was impressive! If I ever go that route, it would be via a DSG (maybe the Golf R?).

2) The handling : while not quite as crisp as the R53, mostly as a result of the copious amounts of poorly managed torque steer (aahh the balance of the R53), I find the handling a bit less harsh than the R53. Not nearly as soft as the F (too soft in my mind though the Fs tested did not have sport or the dynamic suspension), and not as harsh as the R53. This could be a difference between the 53’s sport suspension and the standard suspension on my 56s.

3) The size: The size of the car is almost perfect for me: the F is definitely too big , and the 53 is great, and the R56 not too big yet (but close, on the whole the 53 has the best size).

4) The fuel economy: as mentioned above, for a car with this much power and fun, the fuel economy is fantastic. Much better than the R53, and in real world driving about the same as the F56s.

5) The interior: I love having the tach where it belongs in a true driver’s car: dead smack in front of you. It’s THE most important gauge . I like having the giant speedo in the center of the dash, and don’t like the config in the F . I especially don’t like all the distracting elements of sat nav, entertainment stuff, or even worse, the mood ring. Awfully distracting . I like basic, no frills. The F appears over-wrought . The Rs are perfect. I added the JCW gauge pack (temp & torque). I have to admit that the quality of the interior is a class higher in the F than R, but if it’s the wrong styling, then what good is all the class? Another bonus for the F are the fantastic seats: the R seats are very good but the F seats are fantastic.

6) The looks: right now my favorite MINI in terms of looks is the R56s hatchback, followed by the R53 (which was my favorite when the R56 came out). Least of all the F (and don’t even mention the F55 – MINI: how could you?): I don’t like the looks, the proportions, too large tail lights, ugly front black soft plastic bumper (the fish mouth) too small hood scoop, side scuttles, overall size of the F. Nope . Don’t like it. In terms of looks I will also miss the Coupe and Roadster!

Overall package: The Fs have quality and amazing seats going for them. The 53 has size and fantastic handling on account of total absence of torque steer. But the R56s is king of my hill. Size, looks, power, fuel economy, best overall (compromise) in handling (even with the torque steer fly in the ointment), classic interior design, this car just rocks and IMHO still provides the most visceral and fun driving experience of all things MINI .

The future: what’s there post-R56s? I’m excited about a possible rocketman (back to the origins in terms of size and handling), or for when I’m older maybe the new clubman (if it comes out a bit like the GT6).

Motor on!

Old 04-16-2015, 05:00 PM
\_(0_0)_/
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually had never driven a mini and the gf and I decided to take the plunge. For us it was between a 2012 Cooper S, 2015 base, and a 2015 mcs. After extensive test driving of all 3 we ended up going with the R56. My thoughts after a fairly comprehensive test drive of all 3 (multiple times all back-to-back):

The engine: Huge fan of all 3. I was extremely impressed with the 3 banger on the new base. The R56 feels like what you'd typically find in a 4 banger turbo, not as much down low but once you hit boost it's a good time. The new motors in the F-Series are nice and grunty down low, but trail off at the top. Between the two new coopers I'd save the cash and grab the base.

Handling: R56 not even close. The R56 in question had the sports suspension too, which made it even more 1 sided. They even had a sports suspension on the new S and I still just loved the feel of the R56. That's not to say that what you feel is actually what is happening in terms of real world stats, but damn the R56 is a freakin blast.

Size: I live in the core of Toronto so obviously the smaller one is going to win out. The newer mini's are still small compared to nearly any other car, but they've certainly porked out a bit. With the extra size of the new F series comes a backseat that is somewhat functional compared to the previous gen where it is really just laughable.

Fuel Economy: No real opinions here on that. From what I understand the mini's in general get good gas mileage.

Interior: F hands down not even close. The new F-Series has a really nice interior, but is a bit gimmicky. The mood ring is cool the first time you see it, but i'm sure the novelty would wear off. It is the newer car so has the newest gadgets and the build quality is very nice. I test drove a new gti as well and except for the steering wheel in the new gti the mini absolutely destroyed it. The R56 I think had better seats than the F, but that was really the only bonus I'd give it. I like the tach only with just a digital readout in the r56, but to whatever.

Looks: I prefer the R56, but the F56 I didn't think looked bad either. To me the F56 looks a little porky like they tried to hide the increase in size instead of just embrace it.

Overall Package: Depends on what you're looking for. The new mini felt like a compromise in terms of sportyness, but is the more complete package. The ride was smoother and the interior is nicer. It did lose a little bit though in terms of just raw fun.

I went with the R56 in the end and won't look back. I'm going to toss a JB tune on it for track and day-to-day and pull it off for auto-x. Can't wait to enjoy my purchase.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:08 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by \_(0_0)_/
... in terms of just raw fun.
You can't beat the R53

Old 04-16-2015, 05:30 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I too love my R56. (Full disclosure, I've never driven a R53 or F56).

I rented a 2013ish Toyota Corolla for work and drove it 500 miles today. Boy did that suck.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:37 PM
\_(0_0)_/
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MINIAC
You can't beat the R53
Sadly, they are a bit older than what I'd prefer as my dd but if I had space for a fun car they'd be on my short list.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:47 PM
NB Cooper
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cerenkov
I rented a 2013ish Toyota Corolla for work and drove it 500 miles today. Boy did that suck.
Oh man, talk about taking one for the team!

This is about to turn into a thread about the car you hate the most.......lol

Old 04-16-2015, 05:59 PM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIAC
You can't beat the R53
I agree, in terms of raw fun the R53 i right up there with the R56s. The R56s has a bit more power, but also the torque steer. The R53 is like a cart on rails! So tossable, but soo controllable. The R56 is almost a bit scary close to the limit (under some conditions). If it wasn't for the fact that one (almost) can't find a really low mileage one, and the fuel consumption, I would get an R53.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:02 PM
\_(0_0)_/
1st Gear
Originally Posted by NB Cooper

2014 Base ford fiesta as a rental with 90 percent highway driving and the rest in the suburbs. Those things are painfully slow.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:03 PM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NB Cooper

I went from my R53 to a Prius (which I still have as 2nd car) to the R56s. From 53 to Prius, I was convinced that 90% of the fuel mileage difference was that the 53 made me drive it like I stole it (with a huge grin on the face), and the P made me drive it like a grandma (always close to nodding off).

Old 04-17-2015, 02:59 AM
NB Cooper
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephyr1
I went from my R53 to a Prius (which I still have as 2nd car) to the R56s. From 53 to Prius, I was convinced that 90% of the fuel mileage difference was that the 53 made me drive it like I stole it (with a huge grin on the face), and the P made me drive it like a grandma (always close to nodding off).
I'm not fond of the Nissan Sentra with their CVT transmission. I drove one extensively in a car pool a couple of years ago and you could never predict when or how it would shift. It drove me crazy especially when you go to merge on the highway and it would stick in high gear giving you NO acelleration.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:41 AM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I would include the size of the fuel tank in the ode...The f-56's tank is much smaller making it harder (or even impossible?) for those 500 mile tanks. I know most of you aren't too concerned about mileage, but I get some joy out of seeing how far I can stretch a tank of gas. My record is 632.5 miles on a tank -- driving across Michigan's upper peninsula and back, where the speed limit is 55 mph.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:56 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
i love my r56 base cooper!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:09 AM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ShipM8
I would include the size of the fuel tank in the ode...The f-56's tank is much smaller making it harder (or even impossible?) for those 500 mile tanks. I know most of you aren't too concerned about mileage, but I get some joy out of seeing how far I can stretch a tank of gas. My record is 632.5 miles on a tank -- driving across Michigan's upper peninsula and back, where the speed limit is 55 mph.
Good point, 500-mile tanks are easy-peasy in the R56!

Another point I forgot: I like the visibility in the Rs, which I feel has suffered a bit in the Fs - just seems like the windshield is tiny bit further away from the wheel, and it appears to be harder to peek over the bonnet at the front right corner. Though admittely the R53 was even better than the R56. Just another downside to the upsizing, IMHO.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:12 PM
ceoengr
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel the same about R53 (had 02 & 04) and R56 (currently 10). I would go back to R53 if I can find one that is well maintained with low mileage (quite impossible). And there is no way I will even consider an F. The Mini brand just left me behind. Typically I trade them after 5-6 years but now I am keeping my R56 as long as I can.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:27 AM
\_(0_0)_/
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ceoengr
I feel the same about R53 (had 02 & 04) and R56 (currently 10). I would go back to R53 if I can find one that is well maintained with low mileage (quite impossible). And there is no way I will even consider an F. The Mini brand just left me behind. Typically I trade them after 5-6 years but now I am keeping my R56 as long as I can.
I'd say give the f56 base cooper with a sports suspension a run. I was quite happy with it but just liked the r better. When it's time to get a new car again I could see myself going that way. Potentially maybe an Abarth if they continue to keep it small.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:01 PM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
I test drove the Abarth before getting my R56s, and had been interested in it until then. I was disappointed. A 5 sp manual, 5??? Also, on the whole the car seemed far less responsive than the MINI, with little feedback. Plus, it felt like it was hard to put all that power down on the street. All in all, in my view the Abarth doesn't even come close to the Rs, not by a long shot. Closer to the F maybe, but not the R.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:34 PM
\_(0_0)_/
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Zephyr1
I test drove the Abarth before getting my R56s, and had been interested in it until then. I was disappointed. A 5 sp manual, 5??? Also, on the whole the car seemed far less responsive than the MINI, with little feedback. Plus, it felt like it was hard to put all that power down on the street. All in all, in my view the Abarth doesn't even come close to the Rs, not by a long shot. Closer to the F maybe, but not the R.
100% that it isn't close to an r series. Also, I'm disappointed on the 5spd as well. What it does have is some rawness that i think is missing in the new f series. I really did like the 3 banger with a sport suspension but I'm not happy with the car feeling less mini. Just my thoughts.